2003 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
I love my truck BUT...
By Baron on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Sequoia. I think it is the best looking of the full size SUVs and I usually get 18-20 mpg which is good for an 8 seat SUV. However, I have not found my Toyota to be as well built as my Honda's. I am constantly replacing interior trim pieces that and have replaced all of my interior door handles. My overall maintenance bill his higher with this vehicle than with my Honda's too. It it is not an O2 sensor dying or a CV boot splitting it is my bushings for my rack and pinion steering or something else. This thing eats break pads like dessert. Nonetheless, I still like the truck but just have some $ set aside for maint.

Spare Key
By Bob on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Just purchased my Sequoia used as a second vehicle. Spent a lot of money on new timing belt, serpentine belt, battery, replacing transmission fluid, etc. - which I anticipated and I am OK with all that. Seat belt retracter and gas gauge that failed right after purchased disappointed - but I still hung in OK. The big surprise that completely turned me off was a replacement ignition key (just the key!) to replace the lost key that did not come with the vehicle - $628 quoted! Unbelievable. From what I understand, an electronic module has to be replaced to work with a new key. Knowing that up front - I would not have purchased the Sequoia.

I love my 03 Sequoia
By Bob on 04/22/10 10:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 'o3 Sequoia new and have put over 105K on it since. My wife loves it and doesn't want anything else. I never thought she'd adjust so easily to such a large vehicle--no problem. The thing is rugged--we hit a guard rail at about 60 mph when we first got, and although it did considerable damage, we felt completely safe--it could have been MUCH worse. This was the only 4 wheel drive that could get out of our neighborhood during this winter's blizzard in Northern VA. Our neighbors were cheering us as we blazed a trail up the street. I'd consider getting a new one--if I could get my wife to give up her old one!!!!

I'll give it an A
By sequoia A grade on 03/27/10 12:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new. Has been a great people hauler and very reliable. The only think I had to change was the VSC computer, expensive $1400 or so. Other than that it was routine maintenance. Original tires didn't last, replaced with Michelin's and they look great after 30k miles. I am trading in now for something a bit smaller and got good value even though its a big SUV in the times when that's not cool anymore. Have averaged about 15-16 miles per gallon since we got it in mostly city driving so really can't complain. Someone will be getting a great truck.

I love my Sequoia.
By Chris on 03/01/10 06:59 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed owning my Sequoia. I have had it for six years. The only problem I have ever had with it is the rear window not going down. I really don't use it much so to me it is no big deal. It is not great on gas, yet I like everything else about it. It handles like no other vehicle. It hugs the road if you really drive it and respect it like it is big and heavy nothing compares to it.

Great Buy
By Scott Carbaugh on 01/23/10 22:00 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Smooth ride, powerful and unbelievably reliable. Most comfortable seats of any car I've owned. We have 140,000 miles on it now and runs like the day we bought it in 2003. Sound system still sounds great. Only problems have been fuel gauge that sometimes doesn't work and VSC lights come on sometimes. Would like if second row was removable.

Great SUV
By Jeff on 01/02/10 15:46 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased it used, at a great deal, two years ago. We've put 25,000 miles on it since and couldn't be more pleased. Works great for our family of five. We've had no problems so far and love the way it drives. We get a little over 16 mpg through the hills and mountains of East Tennessee.

A good car but less than I expected
By M on 12/16/09 23:02 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall the sequoia has been reliable and comfortable for long trips. But it's not the Toyota quality I've come to expect. Not just the car but also the dealer service. I bought without looking at other suvs - mistake. Quality issues: - glass breakage sensor has never worked - gear indicator lights (D, N) burned out - rear window has been fixed 2 times - rear door handle broke on a ski trip, making it impossible to open the hatch - OEM tires were awful - causing the car to feel misaligned. Toyota denied issues. Dealer finally admitted others had the same issue. Fixed with a set of duelers. - within the 1st year driver window started sounding like it was going to fall out.

Terrible Reliability
By AZ Owner on 12/10/09 09:20 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

120000 mile on SUV to date. Thankfully, warranty covers new VSC board. It did not cover all my time wasted (5 visits) at the dealers trying to figure out why the interior VSC light and brake light kept coming on. Now, at 115,000 the brake light comes on intermittently. When light is on the truck brakes differently and it scares me. Happened in the snow a few weeks ago. Engine must be restarted to reset the brakes. Kinda tough on the highway in the snow. I bought a Toyota for reliability, it's been anything but. The oil gauge quit working when I drove it off the lot, brand new at $48,000.00. Took 3 trips before they could fix it.

Nothing but problems
By laura alvarez on 09/25/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Problems with vcs, trac, abs lights coming on and medal grinding noise when making a right turn, it has been taken in several times to the Toyota dealership and they can't figure it out, read all the reviews about this problem and decided not worth the hassle and felt very unsafe driving it, returned it for another vehicle, 2006 gmc Yukon what a shame for being a Toyota; had a Chevy 2003 suburban for 6 years 120,000 miles, not one problem other than fuel pump, should have kept it!