Used 2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Not impressed - what next?
By Very high maintenanc

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Lift gate window motor went out right after warranty expired, 3 years old, I've replaced all the interior door handles because they broke off ($100 a pop), constant brake problems, $500 avg price to fix every time the rotors have to be machined and brake pads changed, which is about once a year. I've spent about $4000 in repairs due to poor build.

Bury 3rd row in floor, fix the problems with the door handles.

2002 4WD Sequoia
By Prefers Harleys

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2002 and now have 110K miles on vehicle with little problems. After 2 years, rear window got REAL sluggish, so we left it up for a year afraid it would break. Toyota told us they had replaced a lot of motors. Waited one year, did nothing, works fine now. Too big to really go brush busting but wife likes it. I prefer my 1985 Land Cruiser. Parking brake stinks and truck lurchs forward after applying brake on slight incline. 3 weeks after brake service can drive 55 mph with parking brake on before realizing it's on. Sister bought an 06, no parking brake problem. Mileage improved after 100K. Now we get 16.6 mpg in Georgia. Only get 6 mpg pulling 3500 pound boat though.

Removable seats, storage capacity.

Better parking brake - appears to be fixed in newer models. Manual windows. More ground clearance for off road. Why pay cost of FJ Cruiser when you can get the Sequoia for about the same. Too plush to be off road vehicle and is better suited for highways.

Pleased and Proud
By jeannette dean

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle because it gives me a feeling of security, it's powerful, it's roomy (allowing at least eight passengers comfortably and two bikes) and the design is majestic. I drove across country in it and found the gas mileage to be more than reasonable for a vehicle that size. This vehicle is loaded and every conceivable convenience has been considered.

My favorite features are as follows: roominess, design, adjustible seating, and audio system.

Inprovements desired are ease of handling, improved gas mileage and redesign of driver seat for a more comfortable long distance ride.

Electrical Problems
By lauralee

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is an extremely comfortable SUV. The gas mileage is terrible, but size does matter. I have had issues with the electrical system, and now the air conditioning compressor. I cannot turn of the TRAC control off or on. Occasionally, the high beams are not usable. Now the air compressor just locked up. This vehicle has led a pampered life with all maintenance taken care of by dealerships. The mileage is only 68,000. What gives? This is my first Toyota, and I purchased because of the outstanding reputation for reliability. This has not been my experience with this vehicle. The gas mileage is also terrible. 15.6 MPG.

The leather seats are the best I have ever sat in. The space is great. Visibility for the driver is great.

The rear hatch is too heavy. I would install power assist on future models. Maintain reliability. Improve the gas mileage. Offer a diesel engine.

Awesome truck
By Elizabeth

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this used at 85,000 miles, always looked at the Sequoia from afar, never thought I would own one, bought it used at a great price and have been thrilled ever since! Comfy, powerful, stylish, CD speaker system is the bomb and the sunroof is huge, you almost think it's a convertible! Lots of room and I feel really safe in it, the curtain airbags were a plus for me and my kids. The gas mileage stinks, but what do you expect in an 8 cylinder?? It's an awesome truck!

Design, engine purrs.

Can't think of any, love it.

• SUV