Used 2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Most Helpful|
Love it!
By molly phy

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great vehicle. Has never been in the shop for any reason. We drive on several vacations/year and always have plenty of room for our two kids and suitcases. Very reliable and much better gas mileage than the Expedition I used to own.

Favorite Features

Very roomy. Drives like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Hard to see behind you when backing up. Only complaint I have.

Not impressed - what next?
By Very high maintenanc

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Lift gate window motor went out right after warranty expired, 3 years old, I've replaced all the interior door handles because they broke off ($100 a pop), constant brake problems, $500 avg price to fix every time the rotors have to be machined and brake pads changed, which is about once a year. I've spent about $4000 in repairs due to poor build.

Suggested Improvements

Bury 3rd row in floor, fix the problems with the door handles.

One of the best!
By Rickey Lee

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4 New and have been all over the US threw a snow storm on I40 from Flagstaff AZ to Texas and never-never slipped a wheel and Fords-Chev-Cad- SUV's tried to follow me and ended up stuck on the side of the road ! Believe me the snow was deep and the interstate was closed! This is by far the best and safest SUV on the road! Thank you TOYOTA from the Amerson family,

Suggested Improvements

Better gas MPG!

Wow what a vehicle!
By Andy

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Sequoia since new and have just rolled over 300,000 Miles! This vehicle has been a real workhorse with 5 kids (4 girls - imagine the luggage) and numerous vacations. It has never let us down! The only mechanical issues I have had has been replacement of rear wheel seals twice and front ball joints (due to recall). I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. When clean, it still looks new inside and out. I have never garage kept, but paint in excellent shape. I have found that the rear door window is often faulty, but it is usually not the motor as you'll see on other posts. About 200k miles ago, I put some dieelectric grease in the motor connector prob. solved.

Favorite Features

Ride, safety, capacity, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Fix rear wheel bearing seal problem.

Can't give it up
By Kristen

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We just wrapped up a 5500 mile summer road trip from Texas to Canada, through the north east, down the east coast and back. We are a family of 4 and we couldn't have done this without our Sequoia. We took out one of the back row seats & folded up the passenger side middle row seat. The kids were in two different rows and we had coolers for food & drinks. The truck is roomy enough for all of us to spread out for the long haul. Awesome. PLUS, we have never, ever had an engine problem. We replaced the back window motor, but that's it. GREAT truck. Can't imagine having another vehicle.

Favorite Features

Size, ability to remove seats, look, reliability, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. If there was a hybrid version I'd definitely take a look - although I don't like that in the newer models the seats fold down or slide instead of being able to remove or flip them.