Used 2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

2002 Sequoia Trac Control and VSC safety Issue
By AC

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I owned the 2002 sequoia and had 92k miles on it. In Mar 2016 my wife drove it at 50-55 mph on a high traffic state highway and the trac control and VSC lights came on and the vehicle speed reduced to about 10 mph in a few seconds. She almost got heat by the other cars behind her, but she was able to move to the right and exit the highway safely. I did the search and found out that this model has had safety issue on trac control/VSC, but toyota only recalled on 2003. I took the car to the toyota dealer and he said it just the O2 sensors failure. I looked over his mechanic report and saw another sensor, accelerator paddle control sensor also a problem. However he did not put that on the report to me/customer. He said that it will cost 1300 to repair and he is not recommended to drive it in this condition. I took the car back and sold it few days later for "better safe than sorry"

Tough and reliable
By Shane

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Best auto I have ever owned ....never fails . Just put on off road tires .

Can't give it up
By Kristen

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We just wrapped up a 5500 mile summer road trip from Texas to Canada, through the north east, down the east coast and back. We are a family of 4 and we couldn't have done this without our Sequoia. We took out one of the back row seats & folded up the passenger side middle row seat. The kids were in two different rows and we had coolers for food & drinks. The truck is roomy enough for all of us to spread out for the long haul. Awesome. PLUS, we have never, ever had an engine problem. We replaced the back window motor, but that's it. GREAT truck. Can't imagine having another vehicle.

Size, ability to remove seats, look, reliability, ride.

Better gas mileage. If there was a hybrid version I'd definitely take a look - although I don't like that in the newer models the seats fold down or slide instead of being able to remove or flip them.

since new...
By Jim

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2002 - love the vehicle. Left the van world an into the SUV world for the family - best thing we ever did. Great ride

The overall comfort of the vehicle. Very reliable and comfortable. Great ski ride. Ample room for all ski equipment and people.

Better rear window motor. That has been out and dealer wont replace it except to charge us for a new one.

Wow what a vehicle!
By Andy

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Sequoia since new and have just rolled over 300,000 Miles! This vehicle has been a real workhorse with 5 kids (4 girls - imagine the luggage) and numerous vacations. It has never let us down! The only mechanical issues I have had has been replacement of rear wheel seals twice and front ball joints (due to recall). I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. When clean, it still looks new inside and out. I have never garage kept, but paint in excellent shape. I have found that the rear door window is often faulty, but it is usually not the motor as you'll see on other posts. About 200k miles ago, I put some dieelectric grease in the motor connector prob. solved.

Ride, safety, capacity, comfort.

Fix rear wheel bearing seal problem.