Used 2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Can't give it up
By Kristen

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We just wrapped up a 5500 mile summer road trip from Texas to Canada, through the north east, down the east coast and back. We are a family of 4 and we couldn't have done this without our Sequoia. We took out one of the back row seats & folded up the passenger side middle row seat. The kids were in two different rows and we had coolers for food & drinks. The truck is roomy enough for all of us to spread out for the long haul. Awesome. PLUS, we have never, ever had an engine problem. We replaced the back window motor, but that's it. GREAT truck. Can't imagine having another vehicle.

Favorite Features

Size, ability to remove seats, look, reliability, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. If there was a hybrid version I'd definitely take a look - although I don't like that in the newer models the seats fold down or slide instead of being able to remove or flip them.

Wow what a vehicle!
By Andy

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Sequoia since new and have just rolled over 300,000 Miles! This vehicle has been a real workhorse with 5 kids (4 girls - imagine the luggage) and numerous vacations. It has never let us down! The only mechanical issues I have had has been replacement of rear wheel seals twice and front ball joints (due to recall). I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. When clean, it still looks new inside and out. I have never garage kept, but paint in excellent shape. I have found that the rear door window is often faulty, but it is usually not the motor as you'll see on other posts. About 200k miles ago, I put some dieelectric grease in the motor connector prob. solved.

Favorite Features

Ride, safety, capacity, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Fix rear wheel bearing seal problem.

questionable build quality
By rich

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

owned since new. brought home with a transmission fluid leak- taken care of and has not been a problem. The rear door handle recently came off for the second time. First time about a year old under warranty. This time $400+ to repair. Had rear window motor replaced at the same time as the window has not worked for the last two years. Another $400 and change. Turn signal has not canceled itself for last year- $700 to fix, said no thanks. Interior pull handles broke months after purchase and driver's seat leather (dealer installed at purchase) is torn. Rear dome light works one out of ten times- dealer unable to find short. First and last Toyota. The car has less than 60K on it.

Favorite Features

looks. roomy second row.Good engine.

Suggested Improvements

quality of materials. Front seat lateral support

Great road trip vehicle
By Will

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Sequoia is great for road trips, can hold lots of stuff, mechanically hasn't left me stranded. Best light duty off road ride of any SUV I've ridden. However, it is a pig to drive in town, the exhaust manifold noise, I swear gets louder every day, and this is even after I had the "Tundra" factory recall performed on my Sequoia exhaust manifold. The vehicle has never had better than 15.5 mpg avg. Interior is falling apart (like a 90s era GM). Color keyed exterior plastics, like mirrors and spoilers have shedded their clear coat (like all 4yr old Korean cars). Stereo bad. Rear window on lift gate is stuck up, even after warranty repair. A/C clutch went out 92k mi. Resale value is terrible!

Favorite Features

Ride is fantastic, but shocks seem to be fading fast, ride deteriorating at 90k mi. Never left me stranded. Roof rails can hold mega loads.

Super SUV
By JUNIOR JOE

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Sequoia used with 22,000 miles. The SUV has been super in every aspect except the front brakes, rotors warped three times, the Toyota dealer replaced at no charge to me for both rotors and pads. It is very comfortable on long trips for front and rear passengers. The average mpg is 16 that I can live with. Hauling my travel trailer it gets 11 mpg, still ok in my book, since the trailer weighs 5,500 lbs fully loaded. I have had no problem with the engine and transmission, both run very smooth.

Favorite Features

Seats big and comfortable. Stability control was standard on this SUV before the domestic SUVs offered it. Easy to drive with a trailer behind. Power driver and passenger seats, cupholders, storage, sound system, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the front brakes. Have seats disappear into floor rather than having to take them out to provide a flat floor for more room.