2002 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Can't give it up
By Kristen on 08/14/10 07:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We just wrapped up a 5500 mile summer road trip from Texas to Canada, through the north east, down the east coast and back. We are a family of 4 and we couldn't have done this without our Sequoia. We took out one of the back row seats & folded up the passenger side middle row seat. The kids were in two different rows and we had coolers for food & drinks. The truck is roomy enough for all of us to spread out for the long haul. Awesome. PLUS, we have never, ever had an engine problem. We replaced the back window motor, but that's it. GREAT truck. Can't imagine having another vehicle.

since new...
By Jim on 02/01/10 09:53 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2002 - love the vehicle. Left the van world an into the SUV world for the family - best thing we ever did. Great ride

Wow what a vehicle!
By Andy on 12/30/09 14:28 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Sequoia since new and have just rolled over 300,000 Miles! This vehicle has been a real workhorse with 5 kids (4 girls - imagine the luggage) and numerous vacations. It has never let us down! The only mechanical issues I have had has been replacement of rear wheel seals twice and front ball joints (due to recall). I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. When clean, it still looks new inside and out. I have never garage kept, but paint in excellent shape. I have found that the rear door window is often faulty, but it is usually not the motor as you'll see on other posts. About 200k miles ago, I put some dieelectric grease in the motor connector prob. solved.

Excellent Vehicle
By JJ on 12/16/09 12:07 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I can fit my family of 5 very comfortably in this SUV. Rides like a Lexus and gets pretty good mileage for the size. Very smooth quiet ride. I will drive the wheels off of mine.

questionable build quality
By rich on 12/05/09 19:49 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

owned since new. brought home with a transmission fluid leak- taken care of and has not been a problem. The rear door handle recently came off for the second time. First time about a year old under warranty. This time $400+ to repair. Had rear window motor replaced at the same time as the window has not worked for the last two years. Another $400 and change. Turn signal has not canceled itself for last year- $700 to fix, said no thanks. Interior pull handles broke months after purchase and driver's seat leather (dealer installed at purchase) is torn. Rear dome light works one out of ten times- dealer unable to find short. First and last Toyota. The car has less than 60K on it.

Great road trip vehicle
By Will on 05/29/09 23:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Sequoia is great for road trips, can hold lots of stuff, mechanically hasn't left me stranded. Best light duty off road ride of any SUV I've ridden. However, it is a pig to drive in town, the exhaust manifold noise, I swear gets louder every day, and this is even after I had the "Tundra" factory recall performed on my Sequoia exhaust manifold. The vehicle has never had better than 15.5 mpg avg. Interior is falling apart (like a 90s era GM). Color keyed exterior plastics, like mirrors and spoilers have shedded their clear coat (like all 4yr old Korean cars). Stereo bad. Rear window on lift gate is stuck up, even after warranty repair. A/C clutch went out 92k mi. Resale value is terrible!

One of the best!
By Rickey Lee on 03/28/09 10:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4 New and have been all over the US threw a snow storm on I40 from Flagstaff AZ to Texas and never-never slipped a wheel and Fords-Chev-Cad- SUV's tried to follow me and ended up stuck on the side of the road ! Believe me the snow was deep and the interstate was closed! This is by far the best and safest SUV on the road! Thank you TOYOTA from the Amerson family,

Super SUV
By JUNIOR JOE on 02/18/09 14:10 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Sequoia used with 22,000 miles. The SUV has been super in every aspect except the front brakes, rotors warped three times, the Toyota dealer replaced at no charge to me for both rotors and pads. It is very comfortable on long trips for front and rear passengers. The average mpg is 16 that I can live with. Hauling my travel trailer it gets 11 mpg, still ok in my book, since the trailer weighs 5,500 lbs fully loaded. I have had no problem with the engine and transmission, both run very smooth.

My Sequoia
By Arvella on 10/09/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Sequoia is wonderful. I purchased it in April 2006 and it had 36,000 miles on it. I have had to pay only for oil changes. I rotate the tires every other oil change. I now have 83k miles and I have purchased a battery. I will purchase tires this winter for the first time. Gas is expensive. When you drive a V8 gas is expensive. You can not purchase a more reliable SUV. You get what you pay for. It rolls on the freeway like ice. It is smooth. If you like heavy vehicles this is the truck for you. Its very classy and stylish. I have five children and we ride very comfortable. So do all of your research when you are getting ready to purchase a SUV. You will be satisfied with a Sequoia.

2002 Sequoia Review
By jay on 08/23/08 07:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've had mine about a year & have zero complaints. I bought it with 100K miles from a dealer who has sold me a number of Toyotas & I would not buy anything else. It is a used vehicle & friends comment that it looks very well kept. It drives great, visibility is great, never had any problems. gas mileage is not so good, but if you want great gas mileage, buy something else. If you want comfort & a reliable family SUV that protects you, you need to drive it!