Extensive Frame Rot!
By mcfly3 on
2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)
On December 28, 2011, I brought my 2001, Toyota Sequoia in to be serviced for rear brakes and to get the oil changed. My certified mechanic called me at home and strongly suggested that I come in to see what he discovered while my vehicle was up on the lift. So I stopped in to take a look. He showed me extensive rust holes in the middle of the frame welds on both the passenger and driver's side. He also pointed out that the rear differential case has severe rust damage. He strongly urged me to stop driving the vehicle and stated that it is unsafe in its present condition and that he has never seen such extensive frame rust damage on a vehicle this well taken care of. The drive train, outer body, and interior are in mint condition. I also have always made it a point to power wash the salt (calcium chloride) off the under carriage after driving in the Northeast after snow or ice storms, when salt is used on our roads. I contacted my local Toyota dealership and they gave me the phone number to Toyota Headquarters. The end result was, they were sorry to hear that I had a rotted out frame and suggested that I get rid of the vehicle because there is currently no recall for the Sequoias. Although, after going online at the Toyota forum I found out that they're are over 300 consumers with the same type of issue with their Sequoia frames in our state, so I do not stand alone. I am floored that a company like Toyota, that prides itself in being committed to safety does not care and will not take ownership when they knowingly used cheap Japanese steel to build these faulty frames. I currently have three young children and this is my primary vehicle. I cannot afford to throw $8 K away (Kelly Blue Book) on this vehicle. BUYER BEWARE!!!
Favorite Features
Ride, comfort, and space is awesome.
Suggested Improvements
Toyota needs to take responsibility for the material and poor design of the frame in this unsafe vehicle.
By ateixeira
on 08/31/12 07:27 AM (PDT)

American steel, actually.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sequoia   Frame assemblies and driveshafts are produced by Dana Corporation, based out of Ohio.   It's built in Princeton, Indiana.