2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Love this SUV
By kathigrist on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Love this SUV. Had an old GMC Jimmy that just finally died from hard wear but I loved it dearly. We replaced it with a 1999 Grand Cherokee that I hated. The Toyota Sequoia was the replacement for the Grand Cherokee. We have driven it across the country literally and up and down the East Coast. It is a very smooth riding vehicle and excellent for long trips. It will hold and amazing amount especially if the back back seats are removed. Easy to do. Everybody loves it.

SEQUOIA
By WCPM on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

this is how others suv's should be built

It's worth the $$...
By JSundberg on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've had the Sequoia for over a year now and have put 23,000 miles on. We've travelled through the mountains (pulling another car), driven on long trips, and used it for everyday work trips - and it's been awesome! Haven't had a single problem - everything works great and it's been a great improvement from past unreliable brands (Dodge).

Great but could use some improvements
By Doug Seal on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My wife drove a 4WD 97 4Runner Lmtd up until we sold it and bought this Seq. After alot of shopping, we settled on the Desert SR5 with lthr, wd grain, rear splr and the stl whl pkg. I then traded the stl wheels for some nice rims. Total,I have $35.5k into the vehicle. However, I have two issues that I'd like to share. First, fuel economy is 12-13mpg in the city and hwy which I think should be better. Second, just had to replace the front brakes at 21k miles which the dealer is saying will be normal. The 4runner I had 78k on the original set with the same driver/conditions. Therefore, I think Toyota has put too small of brakes on this one.

Great Truck, Poor A/C
By BigDaddy on 06/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am loving my Sequoia when it is not in the shop. The truck has been in and out of the dealership for the last two months for repeated A/C failure. If it not the compressor its something else. To add insult to injury the parts for the truck are always on "back order."

everything is a "mandatory option"
By chris tinnell on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great car in general -- the wife loves it. But I had to pay for it. Toyota's and Gulf States Toyota's (the distributor) "mandatory options" have left a very bad taste in my mouth. I settled on the dealership with the best attitude (most refuse to deal) although they are still tough to deal with. I was forced to buy options I didn't want. You have to pay extra for wheels??, floor mats, etc. Then Gulf States Toyota forces you to buy a $1,200 mandatory "extra mile" option package (10 yr limited floor mat warranty, glass breakage, etching -- hardly a good value). What's next a $3,000, 30 year sunvisor warranty?

2 Sets of Brakes
By HBR on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall pleased with the vehicle after one year, but have been through one set of brakes and routers and are having problems again. A friend of mine is having the same problem with his LandCruiser. This was not covered by warranty as it was deemed "normal wear and tear" despite the fact that the car only had 15,000 miles. Dealer said they had them in at 9,000 miles before. Otherwise very pleased with vehicle.

Been waitin' for 3 years since rumors!
By hla26v on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Other than Honda,been waiting for full size ute that wasn't Landcruiser price range. Got Ltd 2wd loaded minus side airbags, 41.5k for my wife, only time I got to drive after bringing it home was once a week. I love it, she loves it more, that = I get to drive once a week. Got so fed up, found a used 2001 SR5 leather, 15k miles for 31.5k.(I didn't believe it either) Now we are a 2 Sequoia family. I am smiling now. Almost opted for Tahoe/Yukon. Knew of Toyota quality. The Seq just gets all types of looks! Her's is white, Mine's is Thunder Gray/champagne trim.

One year with the Sequoia
By krisko on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

If you are considering a full sized SUV, the Sequoia must be a serious contender. It features gobs of room, numerous safety features, plenty of luxo goodies yet is relatively fun and easy to drive for such a big vehicle. While a tad pricey compared to the competition, I think in the long run it will be cheaper when repairs and depreciation are considered. I paid $38,700 for mine with everything but sunroof and 4wd. I could have bought the same Expedition or Durango for almost $10,000 less but I know I'd have problems down the road. Bottom line? Peace of mind is worth money to me.

Very Pleased w/Sequouia
By dm on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle sight unseen. Very pleased with it. See "Suggested Improvements" for three crucial suggestions. (Also, where's the TRD supercharger kit!?)