Used 2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Despite some problems I love my Sequoia!
By carzz72

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Limited with 160,000 Miles Sequoia ya it has a few problems rotors,pads,calipers, on mine so far Haven't had any issues with Transmission or hatch/latch breaking like some others on here other then the Brakes.I love the the design out & inside a lot better then a expedition or Tahoe their both are just square and plain like most older American vehicles LOL I just sold my wife's Mazda6(S) & bought this cause I have 3 kids & 1 on the way you cant beat this vehicle

Toyota Sequoia... Best big SUV any day!
By Gabriel

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am writing this review after 9 years of ownership. Our Toyota Sequoia is nothing less than the perfect big SUV for our active family. It has hit the 100,000 miles without a single mechanical problem, not a single incident. It has towed our boat to many lakes, taken us to the deserts, mountains, favorite off-road camping spots, long summer trips. This vehicle is a pleasure to drive on and off road, comfort level is only surpassed by the Land Cruiser, which we own, but our Sequoia is king for hauling our gear, bikes, and all the equipment we take on family outings. We tow our boat about three times a week over hilly terrain and our Sequoia does it with no effort at all. Simply the best SUV

Favorite Features

Super smooth and quiet engine, towing capacity, rear tailgate roll-down window, 12V outlets for all our electronics, huge moonroof, leather seats are super comfortable, dual climate control is great. Commanding view of the road.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that comes to mind is gas mileage, but we can't complain too much. It is a big SUV after all, and with so much it can carry, tow and haul around. Gas mileage is definitely acceptable. Other than that. We look forward to owning the new 2010 Toyota sequoia!

Sequoia
By Phil007

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The Y.A.W. rate sensor went out on my family and I while on a road trip. Very dangerous. This is a recall item. This really put a dent in opinion of Toyota. Fuel economy 12.3 avg. this vehicle will break you if you use it as a daily driver and need to drive more than 100mile per day. The 2wd model is basically a big gas guzzling car with out any capability off the smooth paved road. I got mine cheap at $10,200 and 96k miles and only one owner so I guess I am going to keep it for awhile since it is such a big car and we all can pile in, but as soon as I can I am going to look for an FJ cruiser and not look back at the sequoia.

Suggested Improvements

YAW rate sensor, gas mileage, power on demand.

Great SUV - top of the class
By seth w

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love this SUV, in 2001 it was ahead of its time. The ride is so smooth and the comfort is not matched by any! The leather seats are comfortable and I love the DVD system. I'm a sucker for accessories and this one is loaded out! Only problem I have had from me or the previous owner is the back latch and window motor had to be replaced. Very satisfied!

Favorite Features

Room, leather, jbl dvd system, dual air, removable 3rd row seats, mpg, moon roof, styling interior and exterior

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are a little tight and the latch seems to be a common issue for the back hatch.

GREAT SUV FOR THE PRICE
By Lisa

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this car the month it came out! Except for some early brake problems (which the dealership changed for free a few times), the car has been totally reliable, has a nice perky pickup for the monster it is (6,000lbs), and is much roomier than the Lexus 470 or the other same-size options. I would have liked fold-flat third-row seats and a DVD system in the rear for the kids, but as I only really use the second row of seats every day, it's not a big deal.

Favorite Features

The body shape. The color (silver). The pickup.

Suggested Improvements

A real metal bumper would be nice, considering how many people bump into me (have replaced bumpers 3 times--none my doing)! Front and rear-bumper sensors would also be an improvement. DVD players and better sound system might be nice. Fold-down-flat third row seats. An XL version with more space!