Used 2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

electrical problem
By mannyboy

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it brand new a 2001 model love it but lately having problems with my electrical.

since 2001 my family love to go long drive using the Toyota Sequoia very roomy and smooth ride.

Unbelievable
By dirkpitt

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Sequoia in 2001 with just the dealer miles on it. Now, it has about 190,000 miles. I have done the regular services on it. It now needs the 180,000 timing belt change, etc. This SUV is incredible. It is still tight, quiet, and like new inside and out. It still does not burn any oil between changes. I stated using synthetic about 4 years ago. At this point, I wonder how long it will last. So far, no problems at all.

Smooth, Quite. steering and motion tight and very solid. No mechanical issues.

None. In fact, I am a little miffed that the new Sequoias are not built truck-like like mine.

FRAME
By rodrider

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The car is ok but totlaly disapointed with the way the frames rust, my 2001 model has a bad frame rust

Good Value
By spearing

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Sequoia in Feb 2001 and currently have just over 127k miles. During my ownership i have never had any mechanical problems (thank God) and have had only a few cosmetic issues( had to replace a/c adjustment knob, rear hatch door latch, driver's side seat adj knob, and currently rear window not working/not sure if i will fix)Overall, it has been very reliable vehicle and still attracts plenty looks and complimentary comments to this day(20 in. chrome rims/ silver vehicle). Getting ready to invest a lil money in areas that are beginning to show some wear(exterior window moulding & seats .

Favorite Feature- Reliability : )

I don't like the difficulty of removing the 3rd row of seating.

Extensive Frame Rot!
By mcfly3

2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

On December 28, 2011, I brought my 2001, Toyota Sequoia in to be serviced for rear brakes and to get the oil changed. My certified mechanic called me at home and strongly suggested that I come in to see what he discovered while my vehicle was up on the lift. So I stopped in to take a look. He showed me extensive rust holes in the middle of the frame welds on both the passenger and driver's side. He also pointed out that the rear differential case has severe rust damage. He strongly urged me to stop driving the vehicle and stated that it is unsafe in its present condition and that he has never seen such extensive frame rust damage on a vehicle this well taken care of. The drive train, outer body, and interior are in mint condition. I also have always made it a point to power wash the salt (calcium chloride) off the under carriage after driving in the Northeast after snow or ice storms, when salt is used on our roads. I contacted my local Toyota dealership and they gave me the phone number to Toyota Headquarters. The end result was, they were sorry to hear that I had a rotted out frame and suggested that I get rid of the vehicle because there is currently no recall for the Sequoias. Although, after going online at the Toyota forum I found out that they're are over 300 consumers with the same type of issue with their Sequoia frames in our state, so I do not stand alone. I am floored that a company like Toyota, that prides itself in being committed to safety does not care and will not take ownership when they knowingly used cheap Japanese steel to build these faulty frames. I currently have three young children and this is my primary vehicle. I cannot afford to throw $8 K away (Kelly Blue Book) on this vehicle. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Ride, comfort, and space is awesome.

Toyota needs to take responsibility for the material and poor design of the frame in this unsafe vehicle.