2001 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Unbelievable
By dirkpitt on 06/06/13 15:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Sequoia in 2001 with just the dealer miles on it. Now, it has about 190,000 miles. I have done the regular services on it. It now needs the 180,000 timing belt change, etc. This SUV is incredible. It is still tight, quiet, and like new inside and out. It still does not burn any oil between changes. I stated using synthetic about 4 years ago. At this point, I wonder how long it will last. So far, no problems at all.

So Far So Good
By rangermutt on 08/04/11 11:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this used the summer of 2011 with 130,000 miles on the odometer and would never have purchased it with that many miles had I not seen records of the service that the original owner religiously followed at a local Toyota dealership. A new transmission was put in at just under 60k miles but otherwise the areas of complaint that I have read about including undersized brakes, frame rust-through and cracked exhaust headers I have not experienced (yet). I installed a trailer brake controller for towing a twin-axle 14 foot cargo trailer with GVWR of 6,500 lbs. I will also be driving it in the winter when the snow is too deep for my Miata.

Can't beat it for the money
By will45 on 08/05/10 15:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned a Tahoe, Yukon and Expedition over the past 10 years I can say that the Sequoia is a vastly superior car. Now, I have only owned it for three months, but it is a 2001 4X4 with 125,000 miles and I am the second owner. The first owner gave me an inch of paperwork, 99% of it was oil changes and scheduled maintenance. The CD player was replaced at 95,000 miles along with the passenger power window button. Other than that all has been good. It drives like brand new and I am really impressed by the interior. The seats are still very firm and comfortable with no sign of wear. I am hoping to get another 50,000 or about three years. I paid $9,500.

Bought used at 90K miles, doing great
By UncleTurbo on 03/13/10 04:09 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle to tow a 2 horse trailer on a $10K budget. Found my Sequoia used with 89K miles in Oct. 2008. The dealer had detailed it so that it took a lot of hard looking to tell it was not a new car. Still at 90K miles you have to wonder. I checked it over and bought it and immediately changed all the fluids and made sure all maintenance was up to date. This motor needs a new timing belt at 90K and got that done, changed the plugs and they might have been the originals. The gas mileage computer showed the previous owner got 14 mpg. I am getting 18 overall. Great used vehicle for me, no issues now at 110K miles and 1 1/2 years later. Pulls the trailer great, lot of room.

I love my Sequoia, but......
By Noelle on 11/24/08 08:24 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's been a great car. Probably should have gotten the leather seats for a little more comfort. We live on a hill so we have to replace the brakes about every 10,000 miles. Also, the rubber paint around ALL my windows is peeling off. I brought it to the dealer but they said I was out of warranty. I was a little shocked at that. It wasn't a cheap car. So now my wonderful car has peeling paint around ALL the windows, exposing chrome. But overall, it's been a wonderful car. I'd take it anywhere assuredly. Other than that, the functionality has been really great. Dependable. Wished it looked as great as I feel about it.

Overall, we love our Sequoia!
By Taylor on 06/09/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

In 2 years of ownership, we have had no major problems. It carries our family of 5 plus a ton of luggage w/o breaking a sweat. We love the huge moonroof, the 6 CD in-dash changer, the power of the 4.7 L V-8. We have taken it down dusty desert trails to visit ghost towns and up mountain paths w/o so much as a hiccup. There are a few gripes, however - the tail gate refused to open not long after we bought it and we could hear broken parts rattling around inside. The transmission sometimes clunks when we're at a stoplight and it feels like we've been bumped from behind. Both rear passenger doors refuse to stay open on even the slightest incline, and the rear cubby hatch cover pops open.

Pleasantly Surprised
By JAR on 01/10/07 09:07 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Last year we purchased the vehicle out of a five year lease because it had been so reliable and functional. For the first time, I couldn't find anything in the market that I preferred having. With 94k miles, it still drives like new. We plan to keep it for several more years and miles. It is a great road car and very comfortable to drive not only for the driver and the front passenger but passengers in the back seat as well. We have been surprised how often we choose to travel by driving than flying.

Comfort Cruiser and its a Toyota!
By Loftonfan on 05/30/06 19:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

A good all around vehicle. Have owned this vehicle for a little over a year and the only thing I have had to do is change the oil twice. It drives so smooth that you had better use the cruise or you will be seeing the cherries and berries in the auto-dimming rear view mirror. The sound system puts the Bose in my Acura to shame. Easy to install a receiver hitch and wire harness for a do it yourselfer. Enough power to haul a built up CJ-5 and a massive carhauler over Vail and Eisenhauer Passes at the speed limit. The rear seats all have plenty of room for even the tallest passengers. The center console is huge! Can have two mountain bikes with the front wheels off standing in the rear

What happened to Toyota
By smyroad on 03/06/06 07:13 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Five years of ownership, 100,000+ miles. Front suspension broke with no warning (not a recall). VSC randomly malfunctions. Rear door handle snapped off. Interior plastic pieces pop off like popcorn. Rear cargo compartment door won’t stay closed. Radio/CD Player sounds like a close-n-play. Emergency brake that requires adjustment every 1,000 miles. Brakes squeal when backing up – Service Department calls it Normal. Constant steering input required to keep it straight ahead – even on calm days. At a stop the transmission kicks forward. Feels like someone bumped the rear. Alarm sounds 50% of the time when unlocking the doors. To many to list here.

2001 Sequoia Quality
By Ray on 03/05/06 06:59 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My 2001 4WD Sequoia has 110K miles and is driven in town by a soccer mom who does not go off road. So far these parts have failed: both front wheel bearings, the rear differential, rear window motor, LF window motor, A/C (compressor, evaporator, and something else- been to dealer 5 times for a/c problems). Engine has had oil replaced every 4K miles and has a knock in it. All failures due to faulty parts. I am thankful I invested in the platnum 0 ded bumper-bumper 100K mile warranty. The driver side seat is designed to wear a hole in the side (90K miles) from getting in/out. Gas mileage avg 12-18 mpg. Toyota Corp customer service not helpful. No problems since last major repair ~80K mi