Used 2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Unbelievable
By dirkpitt

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Sequoia in 2001 with just the dealer miles on it. Now, it has about 190,000 miles. I have done the regular services on it. It now needs the 180,000 timing belt change, etc. This SUV is incredible. It is still tight, quiet, and like new inside and out. It still does not burn any oil between changes. I stated using synthetic about 4 years ago. At this point, I wonder how long it will last. So far, no problems at all.

Smooth, Quite. steering and motion tight and very solid. No mechanical issues.

None. In fact, I am a little miffed that the new Sequoias are not built truck-like like mine.

So Far So Good
By rangermutt

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this used the summer of 2011 with 130,000 miles on the odometer and would never have purchased it with that many miles had I not seen records of the service that the original owner religiously followed at a local Toyota dealership. A new transmission was put in at just under 60k miles but otherwise the areas of complaint that I have read about including undersized brakes, frame rust-through and cracked exhaust headers I have not experienced (yet). I installed a trailer brake controller for towing a twin-axle 14 foot cargo trailer with GVWR of 6,500 lbs. I will also be driving it in the winter when the snow is too deep for my Miata.

Great looks (two-tone forest green/gray exterior) with plush looking/feeling gray interior, very nice ride for a 4x4, power rear window (haven't seen this since my '80 Bronco), acceleration, automatic climate control front and rear.

It's odd that items that should be standard are not included in a vehicle in this price range including auto-dimming mirror, compass, outside thermometer, lit vanity mirrors and remote key. The CD player does not play home recorded CD's and the radio reception is dismall, poor gas mileage for a small V8,

Can't beat it for the money
By will45

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned a Tahoe, Yukon and Expedition over the past 10 years I can say that the Sequoia is a vastly superior car. Now, I have only owned it for three months, but it is a 2001 4X4 with 125,000 miles and I am the second owner. The first owner gave me an inch of paperwork, 99% of it was oil changes and scheduled maintenance. The CD player was replaced at 95,000 miles along with the passenger power window button. Other than that all has been good. It drives like brand new and I am really impressed by the interior. The seats are still very firm and comfortable with no sign of wear. I am hoping to get another 50,000 or about three years. I paid $9,500.

Interior, ride quality, reliability

Would love for the third row to lay flat like my expedition did!

Bought used at 90K miles, doing great
By UncleTurbo

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle to tow a 2 horse trailer on a $10K budget. Found my Sequoia used with 89K miles in Oct. 2008. The dealer had detailed it so that it took a lot of hard looking to tell it was not a new car. Still at 90K miles you have to wonder. I checked it over and bought it and immediately changed all the fluids and made sure all maintenance was up to date. This motor needs a new timing belt at 90K and got that done, changed the plugs and they might have been the originals. The gas mileage computer showed the previous owner got 14 mpg. I am getting 18 overall. Great used vehicle for me, no issues now at 110K miles and 1 1/2 years later. Pulls the trailer great, lot of room.

Lots of power, good mpg if you drive it easy and keep speeds below 65, great tow vehicle, excellent interior (fabric seats) with thoughtful storage compartments, removed 3rd row seats for more carrying room, middle row seats fold up easily, have carted 3 full size interior doors home with ease.

It would be nice to be able to take out the middle seats at times for cargo. Otherwise won't change a thing, plan to keep this until it rusts out or I rust out whichever comes first. So far, no rust at all anywhere so that will be a long time.

I love my Sequoia, but......
By Noelle

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's been a great car. Probably should have gotten the leather seats for a little more comfort. We live on a hill so we have to replace the brakes about every 10,000 miles. Also, the rubber paint around ALL my windows is peeling off. I brought it to the dealer but they said I was out of warranty. I was a little shocked at that. It wasn't a cheap car. So now my wonderful car has peeling paint around ALL the windows, exposing chrome. But overall, it's been a wonderful car. I'd take it anywhere assuredly. Other than that, the functionality has been really great. Dependable. Wished it looked as great as I feel about it.

Room in third seat. Comfy ride. Reliability.

Make the heating/air conditioning fan softer - somewhat annoying. Better paint around windows - better warranty on such a nice vehicle. Backup sensors should be standard. Since it's such a heavy vehicle, it could use better brake pads - something more heavy-duty.