2001 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Good Value
By spearing on 07/26/12 03:38 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Sequoia in Feb 2001 and currently have just over 127k miles. During my ownership i have never had any mechanical problems (thank God) and have had only a few cosmetic issues( had to replace a/c adjustment knob, rear hatch door latch, driver's side seat adj knob, and currently rear window not working/not sure if i will fix)Overall, it has been very reliable vehicle and still attracts plenty looks and complimentary comments to this day(20 in. chrome rims/ silver vehicle). Getting ready to invest a lil money in areas that are beginning to show some wear(exterior window moulding & seats .

Extensive Frame Rot!
By mcfly3 on 01/27/12 08:01 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

On December 28, 2011, I brought my 2001, Toyota Sequoia in to be serviced for rear brakes and to get the oil changed. My certified mechanic called me at home and strongly suggested that I come in to see what he discovered while my vehicle was up on the lift. So I stopped in to take a look. He showed me extensive rust holes in the middle of the frame welds on both the passenger and driver's side. He also pointed out that the rear differential case has severe rust damage. He strongly urged me to stop driving the vehicle and stated that it is unsafe in its present condition and that he has never seen such extensive frame rust damage on a vehicle this well taken care of. The drive train, outer body, and interior are in mint condition. I also have always made it a point to power wash the salt (calcium chloride) off the under carriage after driving in the Northeast after snow or ice storms, when salt is used on our roads. I contacted my local Toyota dealership and they gave me the phone number to Toyota Headquarters. The end result was, they were sorry to hear that I had a rotted out frame and suggested that I get rid of the vehicle because there is currently no recall for the Sequoias. Although, after going online at the Toyota forum I found out that they're are over 300 consumers with the same type of issue with their Sequoia frames in our state, so I do not stand alone. I am floored that a company like Toyota, that prides itself in being committed to safety does not care and will not take ownership when they knowingly used cheap Japanese steel to build these faulty frames. I currently have three young children and this is my primary vehicle. I cannot afford to throw $8 K away (Kelly Blue Book) on this vehicle. BUYER BEWARE!!!

toyota sequoia
By ralfynika on 03/06/10 13:18 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It is a very reliable SUV. it is fun to drive and when you push it you can hear that iforce 4.7 v8 roaring down the street. This SUV can last you year and it not a very high maintenance car. This are made to be off road and right now i got 20 inch falken rims and when i bring it on the grass or dirt it preforms like a monster.

Awesome
By Al on 07/05/07 06:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

What a quality ride! Bought it used (certified) and have never had a problem, and it rides like a car. Recommend you buy good quality driving tires like Goodyear Forteras - they made all the difference in comfort, handling and mileage and they wear so much better than OTR tires. Unfortunately, you don't realize you're going 85 mph until it's too late (gotten my share of tickets even with a radar detector)! Just put her on cruise and enjoy! My only issue with her is the anti-slip/TRAC system: I've had it start pulling in wet road conditions but think it was perhaps because of a couple of under-inflated tires.

Tarnished Quality Reputation
By cahrensntx on 01/13/07 04:46 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I value quality and reliability above all else, price, feature, comfort etc. Both consumer data and experience convinced me Toyota is the best here. So it is with high expecatations for a long life vehicle I bought my 3rd Toyota, this Sequoia. After 5 yrs of dealer only scheduled maintenance and 100K mi, I am very, very disappointed. In reverse chronological order: transmission failed 100K, brakes replaced 5 times (even with total system replacement at 60K), fuel gauge failed 80K, dashboard ignition key receiver failed 70K, dashboard drive gear LED out 70k, traction control oversensitive and grinds 50k. Did not meet expectations of Toyota quality.

Ride in style
By J C Renger on 09/29/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Sequoia is used for personal and business driving. People are always asking what vehicle is this, how do I like it, how is my fuel economy. I let them know it is a Toyota Sequoia, I love it, and I have 2 wheel drive, get 15-16 in town, 18-19 on the road. When I tell them it is a 2001, they cannot believe it. I pride myself on this vehicle and maintain this vehicle through the Toyota dealership. I have attended several business meetings and the majority want to ride in the Sequoia when we travel to restauarants or other areas. No doubt in my mind, this is the vehicle to own, even if it is a bit pricey. It is worth it !

everyone needs one
By hediedforus on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. Drives great. You gotta drive one!

I will only buy toyotas
By timboroa on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought a 2003 sequoia and love it. we've owned two 4runners and enjoyed them, but the sequoia will be our new family car forever.

my purchase
By hansengr on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Powerful and smooth, with good mileage at cruise speeds. Very tight handling. Third Toyota I've bought, and won't buy anything else.

My Sequoia
By John601 on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is a nice riding vehicle and has plenty of room. I have to rave with the Toyota line and wouldn't drive anything else. My overall experiences, throughout the years have been excellent.