2014 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Toyota's Legendary Solidity, but Some Issues
By William

2014 Toyota RAV4 SUV LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I've owned the car 12 months, driven it under 10,000 miles, but half of that has been on interstates and local highways on a long trip. Quite a change moving from Camry to RAV4. Slowly adapting to a much stiffer suspension which really shows on poorly maintained urban streets. Not harsh, but stiff. Highway behavior at speeds at least up to 75 is very good, not subject to buffeting the way my 2004 Camry was. I did not find it tiring to drive 500 miles daily for multiple days. The front seat at least for a smaller person is comfy, though an adjustable lumbar support would make the seat better. I miss the power seat of the Camry, but I can comfortably live with this basic seat with its height adjustment. The interior is not particularly quiet, but again it is not tiring on long trips. Engine noise is higher than I think it should be in city driving. The body is quiet - no booming or reverberations. The view out is surprisingly good, but I find the slope of the A pillars to obstruct turning vision in both directions. Thought I would not use the back-up camera but it is very useful. The screen is hard to see in bright overhead sunlight, and turns into a mirror with low sun to rear. With no Navigation, the screen is simple and easy to use for the radio. There are metallic and reflective surfaces on the flat edges of the dash. Finally, I am bothered by what for me is a bright screen that I cannot find a way to turn down or off at night. The instruments are more or less easily seen, except for the digital panel showing mpg & other data which can be bright at night and still hard to read. Speedometer is a little hard to see in bright daylight - not enough contrast. Cruise control is consistent,. Brakes are very good with nice modulation and no grabbing. Rear discs had grinding noise for the first three - five stops after sitting 2 days during the winter. This has not been an issue in warmer and drier weather. Car maintains good firm highway manners with a full load on long trips. Gas mileage is not better than advertised except on long flat runs in the mid 60 mph range. I bought this car for its decent-sized load room, and on that score it has been good. The rear seats do NOT fold flat, and the front passenger seat does not fold flat forward. Nonetheless, the space is useful, and has a couple of D rings for tethering things. Safety: Decent, but not great: In particular see the NHSTA front passenger score, and the IIHS Small Overlap score. 2015 models have addressed the IIHS issue. Handling seems fine. One last note: I have just discovered the "eyebrow" over the rear window: probably preventing use of a bike carrier. Bummer. Overall, the car seems to me to retain legendary Toyota qualities - tight body, decent seating, reasonable sight lines, probably trouble-free -- with firming up of steering and suspension. But interior content & quality seems to me to be clearly down a notch - if this is important to you, inspect and survey closely to verify the presence of the stuff you like.

Drivers seat lumbar support?
By usnftcret

2014 Toyota RAV4 SUV XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have the 2014 RAV4 XLE. The drivers seat lumbar support hurts my back. There is no adjustment on the XLE model, why? This is my 5th new Toyota and I have not had this issue before. My only other issue is the lack of a power lift for the rear hatch on the XLE as an option.

Rear seat roominess and navigation/audio features.

Drivers seat lumbar support adjustment and power rear hatchback.

Meet my expectation in every way
By blao

2014 Toyota RAV4 SUV XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After a year and several thousand miles, It is time for a review so others can use as a reference. The gas mileage is as advertised. Average about 26m/gal (mostly highway). City is about 21. Some people complaint about the transmission and the car's power, but it is not true. They must learn how to use eco mode and sport mode to bring out the car true performance (play with shift paddle some time also). With my personal experience, I use eco mode on highway and sport mode on back road or city road. The car has good surrounding view and I love the rear view camera. The cargo area is almost as big as my 1998 grand Cherokee and the rear seats could be folded real flat.

Rear view camera. quick manual seat adjust. information center and audio system. easy fold down flat back seats. Big and flat cargo bay. Climate control. Nice driver seat. Fun to drive in sport mode (if you don't care much about gas-mileage). the SUV look is nice but it could be better with more men like front grills and smoother sculpture for the back (current design has to many places that catch dust/dirt.

Windshield glass is to thin. Got a star just after a month driving (my G. Cherokee glass is still intact after 16 years.) Touch screen is not practical. a lot of time I have to lick my finger to activate it. The screen also washed out under sun light. Back seat should have floor rails for position adjust just in case you want to scarify rear passenger space for more cargo space (useful for young family). Cup holders are not practical. Need back gate release lever/button within driver reach. sunroof/moonroof should be an option not a feature (I don't smoke or driving fast with the open top). Eco/sport buttons should be in easier accessed place so people can see and use them (they are useful).

Very Let down!
By chrisg48

2014 Toyota RAV4 SUV XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We are a Toyota family having owned 6 cars and a truck but this car has really let us down. The gas milage is terrible. We average 22 and the best we have gotten is 24 on a trip to Florida. The seats are uncomfortable and the back seats have no cup holders or a power outlet. 4 adults fill this thing to the brim. There is no button inside or on the key fob to open the lift gate. It is an option that must be paid for extra. One would think this would be standard on the XLE edition. The touch screen is hard to use and the navigation will not let you make any changes unless the car is in Park. The car does ride and drive smooth but that doesn't make up for the other downfalls.

Not worth it
By duke98

2014 Toyota RAV4 SUV XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my first Toyota but will be my last. It has problems from the first month and the dealer is not willing do do any acceptable resolution. The car runs OK but not better than competitors and there are numerous quality issues. The navigation is not working properly and lost on the road at least once ever 5~6 uses. I now use my iphone more due to its reliability. Seat-belt locks when I put on, so I have to try many times to unlock it. I often locks when I need to reach the glove box while parked in a parking lot, so I had to take it off. The rear brakes make strange noise. [HTML removed]

None.

The navigation sucks. Period. It needs total redesign.

• SUV