2014 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Drivers seat lumbar support?
By usnftcret

2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have the 2014 RAV4 XLE. The drivers seat lumbar support hurts my back. There is no adjustment on the XLE model, why? This is my 5th new Toyota and I have not had this issue before. My only other issue is the lack of a power lift for the rear hatch on the XLE as an option.

Favorite Features

Rear seat roominess and navigation/audio features.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat lumbar support adjustment and power rear hatchback.

Meet my expectation in every way
By blao

2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After a year and several thousand miles, It is time for a review so others can use as a reference. The gas mileage is as advertised. Average about 26m/gal (mostly highway). City is about 21. Some people complaint about the transmission and the car's power, but it is not true. They must learn how to use eco mode and sport mode to bring out the car true performance (play with shift paddle some time also). With my personal experience, I use eco mode on highway and sport mode on back road or city road. The car has good surrounding view and I love the rear view camera. The cargo area is almost as big as my 1998 grand Cherokee and the rear seats could be folded real flat.

Favorite Features

Rear view camera. quick manual seat adjust. information center and audio system. easy fold down flat back seats. Big and flat cargo bay. Climate control. Nice driver seat. Fun to drive in sport mode (if you don't care much about gas-mileage). the SUV look is nice but it could be better with more men like front grills and smoother sculpture for the back (current design has to many places that catch dust/dirt.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield glass is to thin. Got a star just after a month driving (my G. Cherokee glass is still intact after 16 years.) Touch screen is not practical. a lot of time I have to lick my finger to activate it. The screen also washed out under sun light. Back seat should have floor rails for position adjust just in case you want to scarify rear passenger space for more cargo space (useful for young family). Cup holders are not practical. Need back gate release lever/button within driver reach. sunroof/moonroof should be an option not a feature (I don't smoke or driving fast with the open top). Eco/sport buttons should be in easier accessed place so people can see and use them (they are useful).

Very Let down!
By chrisg48

2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We are a Toyota family having owned 6 cars and a truck but this car has really let us down. The gas milage is terrible. We average 22 and the best we have gotten is 24 on a trip to Florida. The seats are uncomfortable and the back seats have no cup holders or a power outlet. 4 adults fill this thing to the brim. There is no button inside or on the key fob to open the lift gate. It is an option that must be paid for extra. One would think this would be standard on the XLE edition. The touch screen is hard to use and the navigation will not let you make any changes unless the car is in Park. The car does ride and drive smooth but that doesn't make up for the other downfalls.

Not worth it
By duke98

2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is my first Toyota but will be my last. It has problems from the first month and the dealer is not willing do do any acceptable resolution. The car runs OK but not better than competitors and there are numerous quality issues. The navigation is not working properly and lost on the road at least once ever 5~6 uses. I now use my iphone more due to its reliability. Seat-belt locks when I put on, so I have to try many times to unlock it. I often locks when I need to reach the glove box while parked in a parking lot, so I had to take it off. The rear brakes make strange noise. [HTML removed]

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation sucks. Period. It needs total redesign.

2014 RAV 4-XLE-FWD Gas Milage Terrible!
By terryljam3

2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a new RAV 4 in April of this year. My 2014 RAV 4 was the XLE with front wheel drive only which was rated for 24 city and 31 hwy mpg. I have over 5000 miles on it and have taken multiple highway trips and driven it to work locally each day. No mater what driving condition, I have only achieved 24 mpg. I tried different gas octanes and no difference. My Mazda's always achieved there rated mileage so the idea of my driving habits have nothing to do with it. This car is a lemon and the dealer will not even talk to me about it. I cannot promote this car that does not do what it was advertised to do.

Favorite Features

The backup camera is good and the back storage room was another reason I wanted it for.

Suggested Improvements

The setup of blue-tooth and the radio channel setup is way to complicated and the manual covers too many versions to figure it out.