2013 Toyota RAV4 2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - comparing to my 2011 RAV4

2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Review

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

comparing to my 2011 RAV4
By riverrav on

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Nice looking, more car like, great driving SUV. The new 6-speed transmission is great. Handling is very good. There are three modes to choose from, Eco, Sport, and the default. Seems to effect how the transmission is used. In heavy traffic I prefer Sport mode because the car stays in the proper gear so you don't have to brake all the time. Reasonably comfortable (I used to own a Buick). I upgraded to the 2013 model primarily for the top-hinged hatch. I make frequent trips with an inflatable kayak to the river and got tired of having to deal with the side opening door. Much easier to work with now. The back seat folds down nearly flat. A big plus.

Favorite Features

Top-hinged hatch is the best new feature on this car. The back seat folds down almost flat, even flatter than the previous models. A major plus for me. The new six speed transmission is great. I love the Sport mode for driving in heavy traffic. The back-up camera is very useful (but the glare!). Huge cargo area for a small SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Serious glare issue with the dash mounted touch screen. Something needs to be done about that. Don't care for the raised fenders over the front wheels. They reduce the look-down capability while parking, etc. Believe that change was purely cosmetic and unnecessary. Miss the extra large lip on the rear bumper. Worry about pot holes with the loss of an inch in ground clearance. Adjustable lumbar support for the XLE model would be nice.