Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Good and the Bad
By virga_studios

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall this car is very nice. I was previously an owner of a 2006 Honda CRV. When I compared the two in the 2013 models the Rav4 won out. However, after owing the car for a couple weeks I have some issues that I don't like about the design. First the low beam headlights are horrible. They are the worst of any car I have ever driven. There is a line across the lights that makes it so when I am driving I can't see very far up the road. It is fine with the high beams but you can't run those all of the time. I hate the rear pass' windows. They are small and they slope up toward the back blocking visibility making a blind spot. The rear window does not open so you can't haul anything.

Favorite Features

I back up camera it is situated way better than the 2013 Honda CRV. I like the way the rear seats fold down making a flat surface. I like the econo mode. The vehicle handles well and is very quiet compared to my 2006 CRV. The Bluetooth feature and Audio system are great. I like that the rear hatch opens up instead of to the side.

Suggested Improvements

The low beam headlights are horrible. They need to have a softer look and not a hard line. The rear passengers windows need to be larger. The rear window should open for hauling long objects. This is a Sport Utility Vehicle. The back window should be larger for more visibility. There should be more cigarette lighters sockets. At least two in front and at least one in the rear passenger compartment. The car manual should tell you how to adjust the headlights. More cup holders would be nice. The window buttons should be lighter to see in the dark.

Love the 2013 RAV4
By geegee444

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought XLE June 26 2013 and I love it!!! Have 2000 miles and get about 27 miles per gallon in city. Have not made any road trips yet. I am 5'11" and my husband is 6'2" and we both are quite comfortable. Vehicle has good pick up so no worries about merging onto interstate. Test drove Mazda CX5 and Honda CRV. RAV4 offered more options in the base price and the cabin was not as noisy. Black carpet shows every speck of sand. Floor mats are a flimsy for the extra cost (nearly $300.00). Ordered an extra set online (must more cost friendly) to have on hand. "RAVen" (I have named her) is a real looker. Removal of "barn" rear door was the best thing ever!!!!

Favorite Features

Rear camera, sunroof and bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic seats as a standard feature in XLE. Offer both leather and "softtex". The man made material does not appear that it will wear as well as leather and it stains very easily. Got blue jean stain on driver seat and have not been able to get it out even with product design for "softtex". Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the stain? Vinyl area on bumpers and area below doors have a hazy look even after washing.

5000 miles and very disappointed
By jbreach

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

For starters ... I rushed to upgrade from a 2011 Rav4 model I loved to a 2013 model I don't like very much. After 5000 miles of city and highway, this SUV consistently disappoints. While many overall improvements have been made as listed in great details throughout the other reviews, the fundamental issues are the power/train. combo and also the tire change up in this new model. This is not a fund vehicle to drive (unlike the 2011 model). The car feels sluggish, hesitant and often puzzled as if it doesn't know what gear to go into and when (automatic version and AWD).

Favorite Features

Exterior redesign is definitely nice, more appealing and the lift door rather than the swing door a nice and long overdue change.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is a mess of I don't know what - a blend of materials, colors and fabrics that just don't make any sense and definitely distract from what use to be a plain, ergonomically correct and utilitarian design for this type of SUV. The absolute worst feature is the central console touch screen control center that easily vanishes and becomes unreadable in daylight and impossible in sunlight when the sun roof is open. Terrible placement and design makes it useless.

Love So many things except...
By johnfrer

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my 2013 limited the end of June. This is a great car in so many ways. I know it will be reliable and I am already seeing the savings from my 04 explorer. 28mpg combined and 32 hwy. The power memory seats are great as is the auto liftgate. I would not have bought this car if it still had the sideways gate. The stereo is not great. actually it is bad. Too much sound up front and it is very bright and "scratchy" I have played with the controls endlessly. This is annoying as I love to listen to all kinds of music as I drive.

Favorite Features

Comfort, dash setup, Blind spot monitor, backup camera with the warning are all great. The Audio interface is very good except the screen could be less reflective. Love the satellite radio and the Ipod blutooth and USB connections are great. The nav works well but I have seen better screens. The view out the windshield is great as you don't see the wiper blades. A big wide view. The 3 driving modes are very nice but the regular mode is just fine.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo needs improvement. I will have to replace the speakers and this is top of the line! I still don't understand why they put 18" wheels on the Limited. It is a harder ride and bumpy. OK on the highway but I would have preferred 17's.

Mechanically fantastic and quiet
By kvm1983

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The good: Technically, mechanically, this car is fantastic. It has the smoothest transmission, very nice pick up, and very quiet. The not-so-good: The XLE version does not have power seats. Weird. Detail review: I have been researching crossovers since almost a month. I thought about getting a CRV, and I test drove 3 different ones, but all of them were noisy. The engine noise is high, combined that with the road noise was the deal breaker for me. The RAV4 is noiseless. Mechanically, this is a fantastic vehicle. The pick up is great, and it has three modes: eco, regular, sport. Loved the power steering on it too (better than CX-5, IMO).

Favorite Features

Acceleration, Transmission

Suggested Improvements

Please..power seats in the XLE version!