Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great car: New Style, Drives nice, Modern
By gsrav4

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I used Edmunds (among other sites for comparison) to help me do research for a new car, before I went out and test drove them. I dislike going to car dealerships, but I can say with confidence that I have improved with how to deal with them. Plus I had done my own research beforehand, and knew what to look at and expect (as well as knowing when a dealer was lying to me). Well here is my review of this lovely car after having it for about 4 months now, and some improvements that I think should be made for the future.

First thing that sold me, was how nice this car drove. I was so impressed at the smoothness of the ride. I knew I was going to take it home that day (after test driving so many different cars - Honda, VW, Hyundai, etc). I do not see any rough handling with it being a Limited Edition and the bigger tires (it is after all a small suv). It drives like a sedan, but sits higher because it's an suv. It has three driving modes: Eco, Sport, and Regular. Eco is a great gas saving tool. If I need more power I just use the other two depending on the situation. My only caveat for this would of been to place the buttons on the steering wheel instead of in the center bottom part of the console.

Things I would of changed or preferred, are: 1) This car needs an air vent for the back passengers (cool air does not get there fast enough and they are always hot, while the front is freezing). It's a big car, it should of come standard with this feature. 2) The usb ports should of been hidden within the center armrest. Way more convenient and should be standard. 3) The Maps feature should of been a separate button, not part of apps. 4) The Navi screen should of been placed better for sun glare (you can't see it during daylight brightness). 5) The bluetooth needs improvement, it keeps disconnecting or not connecting at times. Other than that, this car is fantastic! I love it! Nothing fancy.

Darkened Dashboard/Speedometer
By dgambini

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The dashboard/speedometer is set back into a tunnel. In any other car when you turn the ignition key on the dashboard/speedometer illuminate. Not the case in the RAV4. It stays dark. So dark, that when you are driving downa tree lined street or on a cloudy day, its almost impossible to see the speedometer. This is a design flaw in the vehicle. I have to turn my night time lights on during the day to see the speedometer clearly. A very dangerous situation! I have tried talking to corporate in California and they will not do anything about this problem. I have not contacted the BBB, The Dept. Of Consumer Affairs and the Attorney Generals office.

Quickness of the 4 cylinder engine

Tinny sounding car. You feel every bump. ILLUMINATE THE DASHBOARD

RAV 4 experience
By greatride

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my RAV 4 XLE two weeks ago. I drive more than 100 miles on most days and thought I could save on gas. It runs very well and gets good mileage. However, the seats and maybe the shocks are hard so that after seating for more than half an hour, it is no longer comfortable. I don't look forward to driving it long distance because the seats are just too hard. Also, the rear passenger section should have cup holders on the side doors instead of just cupholders located in the center seat. If you have 3 people sitting in the back, you won't have any cup holders.

It drives nicely and has enough power even uphill. Because of its small size, it is easy to park. It is sporty looking also

More comfortable seats, softer shocks and more cup holders.

Good and the Bad
By virga_studios

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall this car is very nice. I was previously an owner of a 2006 Honda CRV. When I compared the two in the 2013 models the Rav4 won out. However, after owing the car for a couple weeks I have some issues that I don't like about the design. First the low beam headlights are horrible. They are the worst of any car I have ever driven. There is a line across the lights that makes it so when I am driving I can't see very far up the road. It is fine with the high beams but you can't run those all of the time. I hate the rear pass' windows. They are small and they slope up toward the back blocking visibility making a blind spot. The rear window does not open so you can't haul anything.

I back up camera it is situated way better than the 2013 Honda CRV. I like the way the rear seats fold down making a flat surface. I like the econo mode. The vehicle handles well and is very quiet compared to my 2006 CRV. The Bluetooth feature and Audio system are great. I like that the rear hatch opens up instead of to the side.

The low beam headlights are horrible. They need to have a softer look and not a hard line. The rear passengers windows need to be larger. The rear window should open for hauling long objects. This is a Sport Utility Vehicle. The back window should be larger for more visibility. There should be more cigarette lighters sockets. At least two in front and at least one in the rear passenger compartment. The car manual should tell you how to adjust the headlights. More cup holders would be nice. The window buttons should be lighter to see in the dark.

Love the 2013 RAV4
By geegee444

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought XLE June 26 2013 and I love it!!! Have 2000 miles and get about 27 miles per gallon in city. Have not made any road trips yet. I am 5'11" and my husband is 6'2" and we both are quite comfortable. Vehicle has good pick up so no worries about merging onto interstate. Test drove Mazda CX5 and Honda CRV. RAV4 offered more options in the base price and the cabin was not as noisy. Black carpet shows every speck of sand. Floor mats are a flimsy for the extra cost (nearly $300.00). Ordered an extra set online (must more cost friendly) to have on hand. "RAVen" (I have named her) is a real looker. Removal of "barn" rear door was the best thing ever!!!!

Rear camera, sunroof and bluetooth.

Automatic seats as a standard feature in XLE. Offer both leather and "softtex". The man made material does not appear that it will wear as well as leather and it stains very easily. Got blue jean stain on driver seat and have not been able to get it out even with product design for "softtex". Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the stain? Vinyl area on bumpers and area below doors have a hazy look even after washing.

• SUV