Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

2013 Rav4 Limited
By desertgolfer

2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle since August 2013 and have had absolutely no issues with it. I was somewhat surprised at some of the reviews in this thread as I have owned many Toyotas and have never experienced a problem they could not fix. I live in Arizona and we may have smoother roads than some of the cooler weather states, but I have found the Rav4 ride to be exceptional for this vehicle class. The features available on the Limited are outstanding, everything works perfectly and I love the versatility of the transmission.
Heck, you can treat it like a manual and in Sport mode that is fun. Bought it at end of lease!!

Toyota radio do not buy until they fix known issue
By imshybabe

2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2013 Rav4, the volume of the radio goes up, down and also sounds muffled at times. If you plug your ipod, it stays in loading mode with out playing. It will also go off or the screen goes blank in the heat. The volume jumping up is startling and my 7 y/o says " stop that mom". When I take it to the dealer service dept. this is a known issue and the fix is usually to replace the radio. They said they replaced the radio, it continues to do it. I have been there 4 times and they do not know how to fix. They should fix this before putting them on the market for sale. This is a defect. I have concern for the longevity of the car. I have lost trust in Toyota, will not buy another.

Back up camera, side detection, sporty, spacious and the rear reclining seats.

There is not all 4 hooks to use a cargo net in the trunk (only 3 hooks). Do not continue to make and sell defected electronic radios. Since the cars have to be all electronic and if the radio can not work right it gives you pause what else can go wrong electronically speaking. My family has always been fond of Toyota, this has let me down and I will not purchase another.

Barely average
By katekebo

2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the RAV for about one year. I bought it based on previous experience with Toyota vehicles and a good trade-in offer I got from my dealer for my previous car - my net-out-of-pocket on the RAV was ~$2-3k less than other comparable CUVs.

After one year of ownership the best I can rate this car is "average". The only real positive is the amount of cargo and passenger space. In every other area the car falls short, especially comparing to competition. It's noisy, has a very stiff and uncomfortable suspension, safety ratings are mediocre (below key competitors), transmission behavior is strange and disconcerting, mileage is OK but not outstanding. Bottom line - just average.

Lots of space, reasonably comfortable seats.

Crash test ratings, ride, noise, ...

Thorough review after 6 months
By 4bras

2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall a very good SUV. It's a Toyota, so their quality is good. I have only needed the regular preventive maintenance, a set of front brakes, and a set of tires--all to be expected for my mileage. For town driving, short highway distances, commuting, or heading to national parks for weekend fun, it is a great vehicle. One of the reasons I chose this vehicle was because it had the most cargo room for the class of small SUVs. Even so, I did buy a Thule cargo carrier for extra luggage capacity.

I found the transmission very responsive depending on the mode you select (it has three). Its 6 speed transmission with a 4 cylinder engine shifts gears more often than say a 4 speed transmission with a 6 cylinder engine. But we also enjoy 27-29 mpg in the city using Eco mode. Here is my observation of how the three modes behave:
- Normal mode: Responsive driving around town and on the highway.
- Eco Mode: Makes the transmission shift more smoothly, a bit delayed, not as jumpy or punchy. As a result, I saw better gas mileage.
- Sport Mode: Basically shifts down 1 gear from Normal mode so that the transmission is wound tighter and the vehicle is more responsive. This is helpful on snowy and icy roads.

There are 2 downsides.
1) The 4 cylinder engine is under-powered when you load the vehicle with 4 people + luggage. Highway mileage on the interstate (75-80mph) + rolling hill country + wind + the aforementioned cargo carrier reduces the mileage to 22mpg. Even without the cargo carrier, the same conditions reduce mileage to 24mpg. I WISH Toyota would have never dropped their 6 cylinder option. This vehicle needs 6 cylinders to be a good interstate highway travel vehicle.
2) The headrest design is crazy bad! It is too far forward and causes neck and shoulder tension. But for this problem I have found a safe solution. Remove the headrest, turn it around backwards (which now makes it a bit too far from your head), and then purchase a headrest pad. I found one online that is a small and firm wedge that straps onto the headrest. The distance to my head is now perfect (not too close, not too far), and this makes all the difference in the seating comfort.

The only other slight downside is the durability of the paint. I find it scratches more easily than other vehicles I have owned. So if you have an option of getting some kind of paint protective coating applied on a new vehicle, I suggest doing it.

Great Car for the Money!!
By norjud55

2013 Toyota RAV4 SUV XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car is really nice. Easy to drive. I got the XLE model from Mark Jacobson Toyota in Raleigh/NC.
They were nice to deal with.
I like the drivers seat, it is very comfortable. The electronic gear shift, is also very handy. I got 32 miles on HWY. I had the front windows tinted and that helped out from the heat.
I think Toyota builds the best car for the money.
The one thing I would change is when you open the hood, you have to use the rod to hold it up.
Not a good idea.

Seats, East to drive, good overall car. Sun Roof.

Hood bar to keep hood up..not good. Regular car mats a cheap. I got the weather mats. Toyota a quality company.