2013 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Great Trade
By checkfirst on 08/04/13 11:11 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my 2011 Dodge (Lemon) Journey with 7 months remaining on that lease for this SUV. Leased this RAV4 for 36 months and so far I couldn't be happier. I was concerned this SUV might be under powered with the 4 cyl especially after having 6 cyl for my last few vehicles. That concern was removed as my wife and I have just returned from driving 4750 mile vacation and the 4cyl was unbelievably great. Not only did I have enough power for cruising the interstates I was able to pass vehicles on two lane roads with no problem at all. Gas mileage was always between 28 & 32 MPG depending on conditions.

RAV 4 experience
By greatride on 09/24/13 15:38 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my RAV 4 XLE two weeks ago. I drive more than 100 miles on most days and thought I could save on gas. It runs very well and gets good mileage. However, the seats and maybe the shocks are hard so that after seating for more than half an hour, it is no longer comfortable. I don't look forward to driving it long distance because the seats are just too hard. Also, the rear passenger section should have cup holders on the side doors instead of just cupholders located in the center seat. If you have 3 people sitting in the back, you won't have any cup holders.

Great car: New Style, Drives nice, Modern
By gsrav4 on 09/29/13 10:31 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I used Edmunds (among other sites for comparison) to help me do research for a new car, before I went out and test drove them. I dislike going to car dealerships, but I can say with confidence that I have improved with how to deal with them. Plus I had done my own research beforehand, and knew what to look at and expect (as well as knowing when a dealer was lying to me). Well here is my review of this lovely car after having it for about 4 months now, and some improvements that I think should be made for the future.

Thorough review after 6 months
By 4bras on 03/23/14 20:18 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall a very good SUV. It's a Toyota, so their quality is good. I found the transmission very responsive depending on the mode you select. Its 6 cylinder will of course shift gears more often than say a 4 cylinder. But we also enjoy 27-29 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving.

2nd Rav 4... love it... with a few concerns...
By rosco804 on 06/23/13 06:09 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2009 Toyota Rav4 which I really liked... I am one of the few that like the rear swing open door... my wife takes our two golden retrievers with her to work and it was very easy to get the old guy (13 years old, blind, deaf but still loving life) into and out of the back with the wide door and low floor... to jump right to it.... I love the 2013 which I bought in the U.S. (yes I am Canadian, and the Rav4 is made 20 minutes from where I live but I saved almost $7,000 in the U.S.) my concern is the exterior black plastics... when they get dirty and you wash them and then the car dries off, the dirt marks still show !!! has anyone else experienced this? please let me know. thx

comparing to my 2011 RAV4
By riverrav on 07/11/13 16:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Nice looking, more car like, great driving SUV. The new 6-speed transmission is great. Handling is very good. There are three modes to choose from, Eco, Sport, and the default. Seems to effect how the transmission is used. In heavy traffic I prefer Sport mode because the car stays in the proper gear so you don't have to brake all the time. Reasonably comfortable (I used to own a Buick). I upgraded to the 2013 model primarily for the top-hinged hatch. I make frequent trips with an inflatable kayak to the river and got tired of having to deal with the side opening door. Much easier to work with now. The back seat folds down nearly flat. A big plus.

Good car with a few flaws
By stego1 on 04/16/13 05:26 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car to be able to take our dogs along with us as they love to go for rides. We also use it for daily transportation to work. The gas mileage has been great averaging between 28 to 29 MPG on winter-blend gas. (I expect the mileage to go up with summer-blend). We drive mostly city and 2 lane highways on our 32 mile round-trip to work. The ride is rough and we can feel every road imperfection and there is excessive tire noise. But, the car drives well with good power and smooth shifts and we are enjoying owning it. Would recommend this car but keep in mind its shortcomings. Even with these imperfections, it is a better car than the others we looked at: Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Kia

Nice Car--Lousy Manufacturer
By arbella on 06/30/13 12:46 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had tro decide between a Subaru, Honda CRV or the Toyota. Picked the RV4. had some problems with the Navigation. Couldnt see the darn screen dealer couldnt fix so I asked if I could talk with factory Field Rep who was coming to visit the dealer. Field Rep came & said he doesnt speak with customers. He also could not fix screen. So, what do Ido? I called the factory service complaint phone number and i couldnt believe it. Said they only talk service with their dealers. Finally got an email from same department that said I couldnt complain abou ta problem if I didnt even know which engine I had!! I was stupid. Again, attacking me. . Why argue with me? Forget theToyota

Good and the Bad
By virga_studios on 09/10/13 21:31 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall this car is very nice. I was previously an owner of a 2006 Honda CRV. When I compared the two in the 2013 models the Rav4 won out. However, after owing the car for a couple weeks I have some issues that I don't like about the design. First the low beam headlights are horrible. They are the worst of any car I have ever driven. There is a line across the lights that makes it so when I am driving I can't see very far up the road. It is fine with the high beams but you can't run those all of the time. I hate the rear pass' windows. They are small and they slope up toward the back blocking visibility making a blind spot. The rear window does not open so you can't haul anything.

Toyota radio do not buy until they fix known issue
By imshybabe on 06/09/14 04:19 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2013 Rav4, the volume of the radio goes up, down and also sounds muffled at times. If you plug your ipod, it stays in loading mode with out playing. It will also go off or the screen goes blank in the heat. The volume jumping up is startling and my 7 y/o says " stop that mom". When I take it to the dealer service dept. this is a known issue and the fix is usually to replace the radio. They said they replaced the radio, it continues to do it. I have been there 4 times and they do not know how to fix. They should fix this before putting them on the market for sale. This is a defect. I have concern for the longevity of the car. I have lost trust in Toyota, will not buy another.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota RAV4 in VA is:

$120 per month*