Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Toyota meesed it up - Hood Vibrates - Watch it.
By and44

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Toyota with the RAV created this segment. Instead of improving with every iteration they are down grating on quality, workmanship, reliability and customer satisfaction.
I own the 2013 Limited version since April 2013. It has 9,000 kilometers, the main issue is that the hood vibrates while driving on uneven pavement in the city and on smooth pavement on the highway. This is a design issue that Toyota needs to address. Toyota chose to have a flimsy hood for less weight.
Two trips at the dealership could not resolve the problem. Toyota is referring me to the dealer, even though the dealer stated clearly there is nothing they can do to address this issue.
Toyota is behaving arrogantly.

Average mileage, the climate system seems to work fine for now.

The suspension needs to be more compliant, The hood should be made stronger - it is flimsy for a truck costing so much. Head office Customer service needs to go back to being "Customer Service", not customer de-service, trying to put off customer concerns. I have this message for Toyota. Today you may number one, if you do not treat your customers correctly, that will not last.

Really Good Vehicle
By geegee444

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owed the 2013 RAV4 since June 2013. I love, love, love this car!!! Get good gas milage; 26 city; 31 hwy. The Toyota Care is outstanding. The only complaint I have is the upholstery. I bought what I thought was leather but it turns out to be Soft Tech which is a vinyl. The color is beige and stains very easily. Seats have blue jean staining and it will not come off! The dealership is no help on this issue. They "kinda" change the subject when I bring it up. I would buy the RAV4 again but would just go with the cloth seats unless genuine leather is offered.

Bluetooth and back up camera.

Offer genuine leather seats. Automatic seats as a standard.

Great Vehicle
By hookshot

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My dad had the previous 1st generation RAV4 and that thing lasted forever and took a beating so he had to have a new one. He got the base model to avoid all the unnecessary electronics nowadays. Inside is very roomy, cloth seats are good and textured. Dash is well laid out and material quality is more than acceptable. Acceleration is great around town and on the highway. I have a hard time keeping up in my 2014 Subaru WRX STI in stop in go traffic unless I ring my STI out. No idea what Car and Driver means when it called acceleration "tepid"...absolutely not true.

Great commuting vehicle. Car has so much power we just leave it in ECO mode, which saps some power, and it still has plenty left you won't even notice a difference. Backup camera is standard. Roomy and great seating position (high up).

AC is decent but not great. Could always use more mpg. I get around 26 mpg hwy.

Air conditioning is awful
By emput

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The air conditioning is awful in this car. There are no vents for the back seat and therefore my hands are numb from the air conditioning while driving yet my daughter in the back seat is dripping in sweat. We bought this car in the winter and wish we had been aware of this. We asked Toyota about it and all we got is the car is small enough the vents weren't required. Well they went the cheap way and therefore it is awful to drive with passengers in the summer.

We also had both metal bars that adjust the seats break already. You would think with a semi nice car the seats could be motor controlled. Other than these 2 big discomforts we like the car a lot.

1 Year, 15,000 mile review
By limasawa

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We compared this car to the nice '14 Forester and bought this for its interior design and Toyota reliability.
I'm not sure I would do it again.
I'm 6-4, 225 lbs, and 53 years old & need a car that is higher, easy to get into, and gets good MPG.
This RAV4 is high enough, but the shape of the front door causes me to have to contort my body just a bit to enter.
I do have plenty of room in the front and my knees do not touch the dash.
But, the car feels cheap.
The hood vibrates/shakes on certain kinds of rougher paved and dirt roads.
The silver & "graphite" trim both scratch really easily.
Car handles well, though the ride is stiff.
Speakers are much worse than Camry, more like Corolla.

Fuel economy! 33-35 mpg on the road, 28 in my rural-urban commuting. Fully loaded, bike on back, 4500 mile camping road trip got 32mpg. Ability to change transmission mode (regular, economy, sport) is very cool and helpful. Be smart & use it. Smooth shifting transmission. Handling is very good. Love the graphical display of fuel economy. Rear camera is good (and needed since rear visibility is poor). Bluetooth is very good for my Windows phone. USB is great for playing my music. Seats are high & reasonably comfortable. Rear seat recline is excellent and it folds very flat & the seat drops. Excellent a/c. The high center a/c-heater vent that can be opened to the back is good.

Make interior trim more durable, less easily scratched. Remove light grey trim on top of dashboard that causes significant sun glare. Soften suspension a bit. Change hood shape so it doesn't shake while driving & so it does not cause unexpected, very disconcerting water blasts shooting up onto the windshield during braking. Improve all speakers, especially rear. 2nd gear is too high and does not slow vehicle down to 25-30 mph on steep hills. Transmission sometimes auto downshifts on slight downhills, hurting fuel economy. Increase the payload back to previous model rating of 1150 lbs. Headlight cut-off is too sharp with a distinct line. Make alloy rims standard.