2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: 1 Year, 15,000 mile review

2013 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

1 Year, 15,000 mile review
By limasawa on

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We compared this car to the nice '14 Forester and bought this for its interior design and Toyota reliability. I'm not sure I would do it again. I'm 6-4, 225 lbs, and 53 years old & need a car that is higher, easy to get into, and gets good MPG. This RAV4 is high enough, but the shape of the front door causes me to have to contort my body just a bit to enter. I do have plenty of room in the front and my knees do not touch the dash. But, the car feels cheap. The hood vibrates/shakes on certain kinds of rougher paved and dirt roads. The silver & "graphite" trim both scratch really easily. Car handles well, though the ride is stiff. Speakers are much worse than Camry, more like Corolla.

Fuel economy! 33-35 mpg on the road, 28 in my rural-urban commuting. Fully loaded, bike on back, 4500 mile camping road trip got 32mpg. Ability to change transmission mode (regular, economy, sport) is very cool and helpful. Be smart & use it. Smooth shifting transmission. Handling is very good. Love the graphical display of fuel economy. Rear camera is good (and needed since rear visibility is poor). Bluetooth is very good for my Windows phone. USB is great for playing my music. Seats are high & reasonably comfortable. Rear seat recline is excellent and it folds very flat & the seat drops. Excellent a/c. The high center a/c-heater vent that can be opened to the back is good.

Make interior trim more durable, less easily scratched. Remove light grey trim on top of dashboard that causes significant sun glare. Soften suspension a bit. Change hood shape so it doesn't shake while driving & so it does not cause unexpected, very disconcerting water blasts shooting up onto the windshield during braking. Improve all speakers, especially rear. 2nd gear is too high and does not slow vehicle down to 25-30 mph on steep hills. Transmission sometimes auto downshifts on slight downhills, hurting fuel economy. Increase the payload back to previous model rating of 1150 lbs. Headlight cut-off is too sharp with a distinct line. Make alloy rims standard.