2012 Toyota Rav4 transmission problem
By allie_oop on
2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
I've had my Rav4 for a year and took it to the dealer to have the transmission checked. When making a low speed turn, after braking then pressing the accelerator, the automatic transmission shifts roughly. It feels like a new driver just learning to drive a manual transmission. The dealer test drove it, identified the issue, then said that was normal and there is nothing wrong with my Rav4. Other dislikes: hard seats, brake too close to accelerator, doors sound tinny when closed, keyless ignition locks up randomly, too many lever controls on steering column (3 with wipers, lights, and cruise control)
Favorite Features
Rear door is a door not a lift up hatch - easier for getting dogs in and out
By gotsol
on 02/15/14 18:47 PM (PST)

Did the transmission issue smooth out over time? Most cars for many years have computers that learn your driving habits "fuzzy logic." You could give it a few months or try having the computer reset. You can always override the gears with the gear selector or try to accelerate a little earlier/later in those turns. Toyota has needed to but 5 or 6 speed transmissions in their automatics sooner than they have been doing. If you research transmissions you'll learn about harder shifting transmissions last longer than softer ones. Regarding the doors, I can't stand Subaru's frameless doors for this reason. I can assure you that the door is not made of tin. You should look into having dynomat installed (any good car audio store). I've done it myself and it is pretty easy to do. It would be pretty cheap to just have your driver's door done. Toyota uses the same steering column stocks in EVERY car they make. It is very comforting when you change between vehicles. I much prefer cruise its own stock. The back door has always been an issue. I just wish the window opened separately with the wiper on top under the spoiler so it doesn't freeze to the car when it snows(duh!). Unless you're getting the V6 there's a ton of competition with hatches. None of them add interior storage by putting the spare on the back door. I also can't stand undercarriage spares. ;)