2012 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited
By dmw81 on 05/03/13 13:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's been a year now since I bought the 2012 RAV4 Limited. I do love my SUV. It has plenty of speed. I don't drag race but when I want to pass drivers driving below the speed limit, it will accelerate definitely and easily since it is a V6. I drive in town most of the time and I am getting 25.5 mpg. If I am driving in bigger cities, though rare, with lots of stop and go, the mpg will go down to 25.3. Very little difference. Most of the time it stays on 25.5. There are no hills in where I live and even the places that I go. There's less traffic as well. My ride is comfortable. My only complaint is the road noise. This RAV4 has some of it. I notice it especially when driving on interstates.

issue with brake and gas pedal
By steve475 on 03/08/13 11:20 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The gas pedal and brake pedal are 3 inches apart, not enough space for a size 12 shoe, on two occasions I have had the engine RPM go to 3,000 when pushing the brake , if my foot is at an angle the gas pedal will be depressed too, the 269 HP engine over rides the brakes, the Smart stop technology only works under certain specific conditions, this is not one of them , have contacted Toyota with the suggestion that a new brake pedal be designed to have up to 5 inches between the pedals, their reply was this is a safe vehicle, have already found several people with 2007 and newer V-6 models that have had the same issue , all have size 10-12 shoes

Very poor mileage
By ledaebel on 01/27/13 13:49 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a problem with poor gas mileage since I first bought the car. I am not happy having to get out of a warm car to put gas in the tank so frequently. I have brought this problem to the dealer, the service dept, the regioal rep, (BTY was very difficult to locate) and finally to phone "caseworker." The best mileage I got was 18.2 MG on the toll road. Now, in the middle of winter 14.2. Toyota says there is nothing wrong with the car. Their reasoning is that I must use bad gas, it's winter, it's a 6 cyl, the EPA ratings are done under ultimate conditions and I should not expect that yype of mileage I'm dumping this gas guzzler. I had better mileage with my2007 6cyl Camry.

No Start Problem !
By animaladvocate on 10/09/12 14:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a brand new - 3 weeks old 2012 Toyota RAV4 V6 4WD. It didn't start yesterday morning, it didn't start today at lunch. After reading all the directions and trying everything, it started on the 5th try. I contacted dealer and will be bringing it in tomorrow. Read another review that another customer was told to "live with it". I won't. This needs to be fixed or should be considered a lemon. Will update after my service appointment tomorrow !

No start problem
By piko584189 on 09/24/12 12:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We paid close to 35,000 with all of the upgrades. Since the first week we owned this car it had an intermitent no start problem. Has been back to dealer 3or4 times. Today we were told it had something to do with steering lock--and we need to just live with it--now that we know what the problem is we know it will eventually start.. They sent a tech bulletin to toyota and maybe someday they will do something about it. This is an uncomfortable riding vehicle--will never buy a Toyota again.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota RAV4 in VA is:

$135 per month*