2012 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
From V6 to I4, no regret yet
By lanpingd on 07/16/12 15:07 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I "downgraded" myself from a V6 2006 Escape to this I4 2012 RAV4 and so far so good. I am living in NC bay area but purchased my RAV4 from a dealer near LA downtown during my July 4th trip (a totally unplanned purchase but David in Buena Park Toyota gave me a great price plus reasonable trade-in, highly recommended). Two weeks with two tanks of gas, hwy/local 50/50, the avg mileage is ~24, which is way better than the previous Escape's (17-18). The Escape is really a reliable small SUV which gave me zero problem, but with the increasing live expense in bay area, some trade-off has to be made.

The uncomfortable seats have ruined the RAV4 for me :-(
By tnaubie on 06/29/12 11:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Warning for potential RAV4 buyers.....Most uncomfortable seats in a car....EVER! I like almost everything about this vehicle but if it is uncomfortable to sit in then what use is it. Just took a 1000+ mile trip in our new 2012 RAV4 over 7 days and had a miserable experience in the passenger front seat (driver seat and back seats are just as bad). When test driving the car, I noticed the seats were firm, but did not know just how bad they were going to be until this trip. Too bad it took paying a gazillion dollars to find out how uncomfortable a ride this car is. If I had it to do over again, I would not purchase this vehicle based on the seats. I have owned 2 Corollas (1992 & 2006)and a Camry (2002) and loved all of them including the seats (that is why we returned to Toyota for another vehicle). What happened Toyota? Why change a good thing that has been working for many years? Not only are the seats beyond pitiful, but the upholstery is made of a hard feeling material. Cutting corners to save a dollar, I assume. The dark charcoal-colored material in the door panels and the dashboard show dirt and dust easily. I would prefer a one-tone lighter color like the gray that is used as the complementary color in my vehicle. I also do not care for the orange glow that Toyota has incorporated into the instrument panel on the dashboard. My 2006 Corolla has all white colored lights which is easy on the eyes, but the orange in the 2012 RAV4 is very distracting at night. The leg room and storage in the RAV4 is good. I especially like the storage bin under the back floorboard. I would like a couple more cubby hole type storage compartments in the front for the driver. My cell phone does not fit in the cell phone holder so I have to put it in the cup holder. The headrests are not adjustable. They can go only up or down and not in between. The back seat adjustment handles are VERY inconvenient....located on the top side of the seat back. Would prefer them to be located on the bottom side of the seat like most all car seats I have sat in. If you are already sitting in the seat and need to adjust the back up or down, then it is impossible to reach the handle without getting out of the seat. There are no adjustment handles for the seat height like in my Corolla. Wish there were. We got good gas mileage on our trip....27-28 mpg. The RAV4 handles easily and rides pretty smooth. But, like I said before, the uncomfortable seats outweigh any positive characteristics in this vehicle. Going on a long trip at the end of the summer in our RAV4 and not looking forward to it.

RAV4 driver position
By cigsmh on 05/25/12 07:17 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After a having the car for a month I am still fighting to find more or less safe position to drive. I am afraid to lose control of the car because my right leg is in awkward position and I can't figure why. I have Montana 2000 and I have took all the measurements of the pedals and seat trying to understand where the problem coming from. I even tried to drive bare foot - even worse. I tried different seat cushions and padding - no luck. This is leased car and I have 1 year return back if lost the job. I will have to use this option if I can't figure out how to fix the problem. We suppose to go to Safari tomorrow and I am scared to drive with my family.

Rav4 vs Rogue
By cigsmh on 05/16/12 07:24 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The biggest disappointment with the RAV4 driver position is that I can’t adjust for normal driving. I don’t even want to feel comfortable at least safe. My right leg and foot is so uncomfortable, it numb, the knee is pressed and hurts. The muscles are tense. The RAV4 seat has a lot of adjustment but nothing works. They had the acceleration pedal got stack problem once, and they put it so high from the bottom and also made the bottom incline, and cut the bottom half of the pedal making it so small; the feet is in terrible position , the position is breaking the feet. If I knew this issue I would take Rogue or may be CRV.

love my Rav4!
By maryfranks on 04/22/12 19:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my Rav4 a week ago, and I LOVE it so far! I am moving off to school and so I needed an SUV that had a lot of space for hauling while getting good gas mileage. I easily get over 23mpg in the city and haven't taken it on the highway yet. It's fun to drive, my friends and I love it! I can fit up to 7 people because I got the added 3rd row! I couldn't be happier with it!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota RAV4 in WA is:

$183 per month*