Used 2012 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Transmission, Brakes, power port location, and rear door
By mary1958

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I too think the transmission feels wrong. It seems to slip and jerk more than any car I've owned before. Brakes sound as if they are dragging especially as I first drive down the driveway. The power port is inaccessible if drinks are in the drink holder. I like having a full sized tire and one which you needn't unload the storage space to access. Be sure to check the pressure in it if having low pressure readings. I dislike that you can not put longer items in to haul as I could with my old Ford that had a rear door that lifted up instead of to the side. I have yet to figure out how to put the baby anchor back in the roof compartment.

The car has many nice features and is comfortable. There are wonderful storage areas where the tire would normally be - two separate under deck compartments. The molded drink holders in the storage area and backseat doors are handy, as are the hooks for grocery bags. Seats are comfortable and have several adjustments (both front and back seats). Biggest plus in not having one of the silly little tires as a spare.

Relocate the power port located where the drink holder is - it's impossible to use both as it is now. If the transmission is really supposed to be rough and brakes are supposed to sound like they are dragging - perhaps that should be mentioned during purchase check out. I would also recommend a complete electronics tutorial be put online and/or done during purchase. No one reads instruction manuals except me and I can't make heads or tales of some of it.

Love this car!
By harr1380

2012 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Rav 4. I have had my car for just over a year and a half and have put 25,000 miles on it. I have to drive a lot for work and this car is perfect for it. Its very zippy and I have no problems with wind on the highway. My gas millage is usually around 25 MPG so I get about 300 miles per tank before I decide to refuel. It is very comfortable and I have had 4 adults on a long drive with plenty of room. The storage space is amazing! When we went to buy my husbands highlander a few months ago they asked if I wanted to upgrade my Rav 4 to the new one, but I love the style of the 2012 model and did not want to upgrade. Great car!

I love the storage, the 4 wheel drive, and hands free.

Better screen for radio with a back up camera, which is on the newer models.

Great All Around SUV, Best In its Class IMO
By mtayub

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very comfortable seats in this car even on long trips. The leg room and storage in the RAV4 is excellent. Lots of storage and room for luggage. The rear seats recline and move forward and backward. I have had the car in heavy winds and it handled the windy conditions well. Interior noise is low, compared to Honda CRV. Love 4wd button. Reliability of the Rav4 is the best. I looked at the reviews of the competing cars and read about the problems people have for their cars. The Rav4 had minor complaints compared to others having significant problems. after market platinum 0 deductable warranty for $950 upgrading it to a 7/100k had to shop around for the price. 12k miles owned, very happy

I test drove the I4 and the V6. My main goal was driving in the snow, not towing so there was no benefit for me with the V6. I get ample acceleration from my I4 and am perfectly happy with it compared to the other vehicles I test drove. good gas mileage 27 mpg avg, better than advertised. I know how to drive the vehicle to get good gas mileage. Look up ‘Driving tips to get good gas mileage’ on Google to learn. The RAV4 is easy to handle and rides pretty smooth. Great space and comfort for kids in rear seats. Safety and reliability ratings. Best overall value

If you are a tall person say 6’ 4” or above you may be cramped in front seat. Im 6’ 0” and perfectly comfortable with room to spare. I may not call it a suggested improvement but, Curbside loading is an issue with the rear door swinging, not an issue if you don’t drive people to the airport for a living. swing door is much easier to open than a upward Lift hatch and more convenient for groceries and other general loading.

2012 Toyota Rav4 transmission problem
By allie_oop

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Rav4 for a year and took it to the dealer to have the transmission checked. When making a low speed turn, after braking then pressing the accelerator, the automatic transmission shifts roughly. It feels like a new driver just learning to drive a manual transmission. The dealer test drove it, identified the issue, then said that was normal and there is nothing wrong with my Rav4. Other dislikes: hard seats, brake too close to accelerator, doors sound tinny when closed, keyless ignition locks up randomly, too many lever controls on steering column (3 with wipers, lights, and cruise control)

Rear door is a door not a lift up hatch - easier for getting dogs in and out

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited
By dmw81

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's been a year now since I bought the 2012 RAV4 Limited. I do love my SUV. It has plenty of speed. I don't drag race but when I want to pass drivers driving below the speed limit, it will accelerate definitely and easily since it is a V6. I drive in town most of the time and I am getting 25.5 mpg. If I am driving in bigger cities, though rare, with lots of stop and go, the mpg will go down to 25.3. Very little difference. Most of the time it stays on 25.5. There are no hills in where I live and even the places that I go. There's less traffic as well. My ride is comfortable. My only complaint is the road noise. This RAV4 has some of it. I notice it especially when driving on interstates.

V6 and high horsepower.

I hope Toyota will do something with the road noise and make the interior a lot nicer-looking.