2012 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Transmission, Brakes, power port location, and rear door
By mary1958 on 06/13/14 14:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I too think the transmission feels wrong. It seems to slip and jerk more than any car I've owned before. Brakes sound as if they are dragging especially as I first drive down the driveway. The power port is inaccessible if drinks are in the drink holder. I like having a full sized tire and one which you needn't unload the storage space to access. Be sure to check the pressure in it if having low pressure readings. I dislike that you can not put longer items in to haul as I could with my old Ford that had a rear door that lifted up instead of to the side. I have yet to figure out how to put the baby anchor back in the roof compartment.

Love this car!
By harr1380 on 05/23/14 06:54 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Rav 4. I have had my car for just over a year and a half and have put 25,000 miles on it. I have to drive a lot for work and this car is perfect for it. Its very zippy and I have no problems with wind on the highway. My gas millage is usually around 25 MPG so I get about 300 miles per tank before I decide to refuel. It is very comfortable and I have had 4 adults on a long drive with plenty of room. The storage space is amazing! When we went to buy my husbands highlander a few months ago they asked if I wanted to upgrade my Rav 4 to the new one, but I love the style of the 2012 model and did not want to upgrade. Great car!

Great All Around SUV, Best In its Class IMO
By mtayub on 06/20/13 19:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very comfortable seats in this car even on long trips. The leg room and storage in the RAV4 is excellent. Lots of storage and room for luggage. The rear seats recline and move forward and backward. I have had the car in heavy winds and it handled the windy conditions well. Interior noise is low, compared to Honda CRV. Love 4wd button. Reliability of the Rav4 is the best. I looked at the reviews of the competing cars and read about the problems people have for their cars. The Rav4 had minor complaints compared to others having significant problems. after market platinum 0 deductable warranty for $950 upgrading it to a 7/100k had to shop around for the price. 12k miles owned, very happy

2012 Toyota Rav4 transmission problem
By allie_oop on 05/24/13 07:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Rav4 for a year and took it to the dealer to have the transmission checked. When making a low speed turn, after braking then pressing the accelerator, the automatic transmission shifts roughly. It feels like a new driver just learning to drive a manual transmission. The dealer test drove it, identified the issue, then said that was normal and there is nothing wrong with my Rav4. Other dislikes: hard seats, brake too close to accelerator, doors sound tinny when closed, keyless ignition locks up randomly, too many lever controls on steering column (3 with wipers, lights, and cruise control)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited
By dmw81 on 05/03/13 13:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's been a year now since I bought the 2012 RAV4 Limited. I do love my SUV. It has plenty of speed. I don't drag race but when I want to pass drivers driving below the speed limit, it will accelerate definitely and easily since it is a V6. I drive in town most of the time and I am getting 25.5 mpg. If I am driving in bigger cities, though rare, with lots of stop and go, the mpg will go down to 25.3. Very little difference. Most of the time it stays on 25.5. There are no hills in where I live and even the places that I go. There's less traffic as well. My ride is comfortable. My only complaint is the road noise. This RAV4 has some of it. I notice it especially when driving on interstates.

new rav4 owner
By jeff336 on 03/12/13 10:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just bought a 2008 limited model (25,000 miles) with the v6 and two wheel drive and can't be happier. The car is fast and smooth. The leather seats are very comfortable. We get about 23 mpg, which is better that the 4 cylinder Accord that we had before even though that car was rated at 12/31 and this Rav4 is rated at 19/27. We have the optional third-row seat, which is small, but great in a pinch when we have a couple more kids to take somewhere. People can't hear us well with the bluetooth cell-phone link, but it may just be the phone causing that issue, not sure yet.

issue with brake and gas pedal
By steve475 on 03/08/13 11:20 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The gas pedal and brake pedal are 3 inches apart, not enough space for a size 12 shoe, on two occasions I have had the engine RPM go to 3,000 when pushing the brake , if my foot is at an angle the gas pedal will be depressed too, the 269 HP engine over rides the brakes, the Smart stop technology only works under certain specific conditions, this is not one of them , have contacted Toyota with the suggestion that a new brake pedal be designed to have up to 5 inches between the pedals, their reply was this is a safe vehicle, have already found several people with 2007 and newer V-6 models that have had the same issue , all have size 10-12 shoes

Very poor mileage
By ledaebel on 01/27/13 13:49 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a problem with poor gas mileage since I first bought the car. I am not happy having to get out of a warm car to put gas in the tank so frequently. I have brought this problem to the dealer, the service dept, the regioal rep, (BTY was very difficult to locate) and finally to phone "caseworker." The best mileage I got was 18.2 MG on the toll road. Now, in the middle of winter 14.2. Toyota says there is nothing wrong with the car. Their reasoning is that I must use bad gas, it's winter, it's a 6 cyl, the EPA ratings are done under ultimate conditions and I should not expect that yype of mileage I'm dumping this gas guzzler. I had better mileage with my2007 6cyl Camry.

Startup problems
By tsoupy on 01/12/13 20:52 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm having problems where my new RAV4 V6 4x4 just won't start up. Eventually - it will start but Toyota doesn't seem to have any handle on this issue. I notices that a couple other reviewers have had the same problem. I'm not willing to live with this problem.

Poor gas mileage
By asamford on 12/29/12 09:53 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this 2012 Rav4 in october. I really regret the choice. should have tried to rent one first. Firstly this is totatlly a girls car. Not a real suv because it only holds 5 people and there's not much room for luggage inside. Gas Mileage sucks. Car downshifts/4000rpm on some overpasses and ALL small hills at 70-80 mph. Wind blows it all over the road. Steering is too tight and erratic. ride is rough and transmission shifts funny like it can't decide which gear to stay in at certain speeds. Cheap radio speakers, sounds really cheap. No room for mens legs knees hit on both sides while driving. Hate it, but thank God it's my wifes car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota RAV4 in VA is:

$139 per month*