2011 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: No hill holder on 4cyl. 4wd

2011 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

No hill holder on 4cyl. 4wd
By rr93lwb on

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2011 RAV4 Limited 4cyl. 4x4. For me (6'3") I find seat bottom short and uncomfortable. Mom (5'4") loves the seats. Ride isn't terrible but still bounces around like SUVs do. Rides nicely on highway. One of the quieter vehicles. Visibility is pretty good. Storage and cargo space is great. Mom is averaging 14mpg because she drives short 3-5 mile trips to the store or doctor and frequently sits in traffic. But, it's still 3-4mpg below lowest EPA estimate. 1 highway trip 1000miles I averaged close to 30mpg. There is no hill holder on the 4cyl. 4wd model. Car rolls back quickly and easily if stopped on incline and remove foot from brake. Very disconcerting. Only thing my mom does not like.

Entry and exit. Height makes it easy for older folks to get in and out. Steering feels light and good turning radius. While side opening tailgate can be an issue in certain situations, for my mom, it's worked out best. She's realized that she would have had difficulty reaching up to pull down and close a tailgate that opened vertically. Mom loves everything but the lack of a hill holder.

Hill holder, hill holder, hill holder; Big thing, and surprising that it's missing on a vehicle in this day and age. If I'd noticed it prior to purchase, I might have pushed my mom towards the v6 RAV4. Is it a big deal, no, but when you're on a big hill and you release the brake, the speed and ease with which the RAV4 rolls backwards can catch you off guard. It also necessitates flooring the gas to stop the roll and begin moving forward. It honestly feels like driving a manual, but without the clutch and gear lever. For older folks, like my mom, with slower reflexes it can be frightening.