RAV4 Limited Is a Gas Hog
By srubida on
2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Purchased my RAV4 on 5-27-2011 and already wish I could afford to trade it in on something else. Its awful gas mileage is affecting my lifestyle because now I don't go anywhere that I don't have to, at an average 16mpg (and I drive "lightly" and carefully). The vehicle itself is fine; I am glad it is a little larger than previous editions. The fittings, cup holders, etc., are all fine (I'm not picky, I just want transportation). At 16mpg, I might as well be driving a monster truck rather than a smallish SUV. This will be my second and last Toyota, because it replaces a well-tended Highlander that needed $3000 in repairs and failed its legendary durability reputation. Bye bye, Toyota.
Favorite Features
Convenient size, inside and out, as a smallish SUV. Features that I didn't expect, such as Bluetooth connection to my cell phone.
Suggested Improvements
Re-style the rear-mounted spare tire. Not a style I like and makes the rear door very heavy. The side-opening rear door--takes up a lot of room to open that door. Add a 2nd port in the front seat area to plug in cell phones, GPS, and other electronics. Improve the gas mileage!
By toyotarep1982
on 11/06/11 18:33 PM (PST)

The fuel economy is because you are not using the overdrive. Make sure you are using the drive selection and not 3rd gear. Many use 3rd without know they are doing so.

By windman3
on 12/27/11 10:29 AM (PST)

I have the 2011 4 cyclinder 4x4 and I too am getting crappy mileage: 25 highway, 18 city. This is bull for a 4 cylinder. And no, I'm not driving in 3rd gear. I called my Toyota's service department, was told "No, it's not going to get better. What you're getting is what you're going to get." He added that the estimated 27 mpg highway that Toyota adversizes is only an "average." If I had known I was going to get this kind of mileage I would not have purchased the vehicle.

By toysales2002
on 11/14/11 11:20 AM (PST)

anyone who is driving "light and carefully" with a toyota v6 is not getting 16mpg. i drive "heavy and recklessly" in my camry v6 and even on a bad day I get 24mpg combined. as far as the rear mounted spare tire, if you want a temporary spare go get a CRV otherwise they do offer a sport model with no spare. if you look around your car, you will see there are two lighter ports in front, one in front of the shifter and one in the armrest storage as well as one way back in the cargo area. by the way, your mpg will improve after 10000 miles.