Poor MPG
By ocal on
2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
Biggest problem is poor MPG. Bought becuase of the published MPG range. Actual MPG is consistently on the low end. We live in flat Florida. Most driving is rural and occassional light city traffic. 3rd row seet is soo cramped my 6 & 9 year-olds have to sit sideways, if any-one is sitting in 2nd row. Took to dealership (Deluca) to have MPG checked. Service lady treated us like were idiots and later lied to us about how they checked to see if there was any issue (told us a mechanic drove it of 30 minutes continuously at 35mph and MPG was 28MPG). Impossible test. Wish we had bought the Durango or the CRV. Will trade this off soon! (Previoulsly loved our Corolla!)
Favorite Features
Spare tire accessibility (beware spare tire is also tied into tire pressure sensing system, and will drive you nuts trying to identify what tire low, unless you know to check the spare too). Good turn radius. Easy Parking.
Suggested Improvements
Don't lie about the actual MPG! We bought because we trusted Toyota for quality and honesty. We may never buy another one now. Also, the base radio system is very poor. Consider improving the basic stereo quality (decent speakers would be an inexpensive factory add).
By windman3
on 04/07/12 07:14 AM (PDT)

I second this review. I have the 2011 4 cylinder 4x4 base model, which is supposed to get 27 highway, 22 city. I'm lucky if I see 25 highway (keeping my speed at 68 mph or under), and city is down around 18. I complained to my dealer and was told "that's pretty close to what it's suppose to get...." Toyota has not been honest about this model's mpg rating.