90 Day Review
By sheepleking on
2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Purchased a '11 Limited RAV4 (Pyrite Mica color) in May and have driven approx 4900 miles in that time. Overall I'm pleased with the performance and features. Gas mileage has been approx. 22 mpg in mixed driving with a high of 26.5 for a 600 mile trip to see family in Missouri. A couple gripes are a few rattles/creaks coming from the console (to the right of the shifter) and the passenger seat (underneath near the rails). I've also had a consistent tapping noise when I am at idle (appt set for this week to have it looked at). Would rate build quality at 3.5 if that was an option. Overall I'm pleased with the purchase and have yet to encounter any "buyers remorse".
Favorite Features
Powerful engine, smooth acceleration, head/leg room both in front and rear, storage capacity. Smooth ride at city and highway speeds.
Suggested Improvements
Improve the fit and finish to eliminate annoying rattles/creaks. Factory stereo is adequate. Rear door sounds like metal on metal when it's closing...perhaps some additional insulation or "padding" would help.
By sheepleking
on 01/09/12 11:53 AM (PST)

Update - Took it in for 10K mile maintenance and dealership said tapping noise was normal. Checked several other RAV4's on the lot and all of them had it to one extent or another so I guess I'll just have to get used to it. Ride has definitely gotten rougher but that's about the only issue. Gas mileage remains consistent around 22mpg combined with another trip to see family (this time in DC) getting around 25mpg or so. Still no buyers remorse and I have recommended it to several people. I guess that's as positive a review as I can do.

By sheepleking
on 03/14/12 08:43 AM (PDT)

15K mile Update - Well the tapping noise is gone but honeymoon is over. I still like the RAV4, but now all the little things are starting to poke their heads out. - It definitely rides more like a truck now than when I bought it, with the suspension sending me jarring messages over all but the best of roads. - There are also little rattles and squeaks coming from the riser by my head between the driver and passenger door. - The driver's side window rattles a little (just a tiny amount but it's definitely noticeable to me) - The noise from the rear when doing 25mph or less is horrible. It sounds like a squeaky/rattleing cage. I've looked at all the seals, made sure everything was tightened and nothing helps. - Gas mileage has been stagnant...still 18-20 city and 22 - 25 highway. Other than that, it does what I need it to do (hauling kids to sports, school activies, shopping runs, etc.) so I won't complain too much. My next vehicle will probably not be another RAV4 but I wouldn't downplay it if someone told me they were considering buying one.