2011 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Sort Reviews by

Loving my new Car!
By Anonymous

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was driving a 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara which I really liked... except for the gas mileage. I was getting about 18 miles a gallon, and when you're job hunting... that doesn't work. I was pushed into driving a Rav4 and surprisingly... I LOVE IT. I hope once the "new car" wares off the mileage will be as great as I need it to! I am very happy with my new car!

Favorite Features

I LOVE my Sunroof! The XM radio is wonderful, the space is amazing and the seats are comfortable! Also, we just got 3" of snow and my Rav4 didn't hesitate once getting thru it!

Suggested Improvements

I hate that the cup holders are so close to the front. You can't fit all cups or water bottles and it blocks the plug in. I think I'm going to upgrade to buy the heated seats, garage door opener mirror and remote starter ASAP. I miss those from my old car!

So far so good
By Cinnamonstik

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I only mine yesterday however I did months of research before deciding on this one. It was a close race between this and the Chevy Equinox. I bought the RAV4 for a couple reasons over the Chevy: 1. The Equinox wasn't available in the V-6 unless I ordered one. Being a bigger SUV, I felt I would need the 6 vs the 4. 2. Although a little smaller than the Equinox, the RAV4 is the perfect size for me. Pros: 1. I love the individually heated seats. Very cool. 2. The built in Nav is great. No more hassling with my Garmin. 3. The fog lights made it even cooler. 4. Turns on a dime. Cons: 1. The dealer told me it was bluetooth equipped. It wasn't but I'm making them install it.

Suggested Improvements

The sunroof should have a visor. It makes noise at a high rate of speed without it.

Fun Car
By carfreak

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Plenty of performance, easy to operate GPS navigation, very comfortable seats, and pretty good cargo holding. Vehicle came with Bridgestone Tires that have some road noise due to tread pattern. Vehicle has typical excellent Toyota fit and finish.

Favorite Features

Navigation, back-up camera, instant information center.

Toyota should be more thoughtful
By B Young

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have only leased it for a couple of weeks, but so far it is nice to drive. The push button on and locking system seems a little buggy, but maybe I'm not used to it. I wish it got just a little better gas mileage, but it may get better. Right now it's about 23.5 on the highway. I wish it had rubber mats available. Carpet it a mess in Michigan.It handles well and seems peppy.I hate the tire on the back looks like a an unwanted growth and make the rear door a bit awkward. Could use a few more little compartments for junk and better cup holders. The heated seats need a rheostat. They are too hot.

Favorite Features

Size, seat comfort and adjustability. Nice to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Why do they take out the bluetooth and XM Radio when you get the Nav. Makes no sense. If I want Nav, I probably want bluetooth and and XM radio. Dealer had to install separately and bluetooth aftermarket not as good as factory. The Toyota Nav systems poor. Please contact Apple for how to do this.

Spirited Ride
By Nunsa

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my Toyota Tacoma for the RAV4. I live all the features, the interior leg room is great, I'm 6' 4" and I have plenty of room. The seats are great, real comfortable. It's real fun to drive. I like most of the features: Sun roof, aux. ports. I would by this vehicle again!

Favorite Features

Sun Roof, Aux stereo jack, stereo, controls on steering wheel, stability control, 4x4, Interior room, mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Up front there should be more aux 12v jacks, the cup holders are in the way of the stability control button & 12v jack. The rear window should roll down. there should be an inside button to lock/unlock the rear hatch.

Finally love my RAV4
By Maxine Gatling

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove a V6 Camry for 11 years so I was used to the silky smooth ride of a Camry. Of course, the RAV4 is a SUV,and not a sedan, so it took me about a week to get used to the rougher ride. The V6 is still a smoother ride than the V4 RAV or the V4 Honda CR-V. I think I am going to love this SUV as I adjust to the different ride. It handles very nicely.

Favorite Features

XM radio, sun roof, V6, love everything about it. Just have to get used to a different ride than a sedan

Suggested Improvements

Garage door opener; more fuel efficient (am getting 22 mpg city, which isn't bad)

1st New Car in 10 years
By gypsy

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am a leasing the new 2011 Rav4 after Subaru refused to even negotiate on their comparable Outback.. ok?? Anyway, am very happy with the RAV with the most complaint over the front cup holders. Beside the fact of being place DIRECTLY in front of one of the only 2 ac outlets, it is designed for a can and about that size only. The height of the holders limit any water bottle and cause it to topple. I can't believe Toyota, who caters to the stylistas of the Lexus buyers would accept the placement of the cup holders. That vented, the only other complaint would be is the backup camera which has a fisheye view and is very misleading. I hope Toyota can am mend these flaws in 2012, otherwise awesome!

Favorite Features

Awesome JBL base booming speakers- sounds great with the 3 months free of XM Sirius radio! For a girl who puts on her makeup at the stoplights, I love the vanity mirror placement over your face instead of shining you in the eyes. Great feature!

Suggested Improvements

Other than revamping the cup holders and relocating the outlet problem in front, I would also suggest cord outlet space for the outlet in the armrest, so you can have you IPOD, phone etc actually go into the niche Toyota carved out for it. ALSO needs to have an adapter/outlet that works w/o eng on.

2nd RAV4 Purchase
By Dereck

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Repeat buyer 2nd RAV4 purchase, 1st was a 2003 model. Narrowed down the choices to a Honda CRV, Chevy Equinox, and the RAV4. Quickly eliminated the Chevy because of reported maintenance issue. (note the Chevy's interior styling, ride comfort and noise was superior to the Honda and Toyota) RAV4 won out over the Honda because it is a more comfortable, and factory/dealer incentives were very attractive.

Favorite Features

Full spare tire mounted on rear door. This really opens up the cargo area, and adds two deep large wells where the spare would go if inside under the floor.

Suggested Improvements

Interior styling looks and feels a bit cheap, but it is functional.

RAV4 BASE V6
By Bill

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nice car except for the road noise and slight transaxle whine at lower speeds between 20 to 40 mph. I didn't noticed the sounds till after driving it for a day. The sounds are not deafening buy any means but are more annoying than anything. I suggest you test drive one more than once when making your decision. The V6 is plenty powerful but does have a very slight hesitation when the car is cold. After doing some research I found the transaxle noise apparently has never been properly addressed since 07. I may take it back to the dealer to have it looked at but I'm sure they'll tell it's normal for this type of vehicle.

Favorite Features

Powerful V6, fun to drive. Roomy, plenty of storage compartments,tight feel. Toyota reliability?

Suggested Improvements

Transaxle whine and road noise.