Used 2011 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

15K Mile Update
By sheepleking

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

15K mile Update - Well the tapping noise is gone but honeymoon is over. I still like the RAV4, but now all the little things are starting to poke their heads out. - It definitely rides more like a truck now than when I bought it, with the suspension sending me jarring messages over all but the best of roads. - There are also little rattles and squeaks coming from the riser by my head between the driver and passenger door. - The driver's side window rattles a little (just a tiny amount but it's definitely noticeable to me) - The noise from the rear when doing 25mph or less is horrible. It sounds like a squeaky/rattleing cage. I've looked at all the seals, made sure everything was tightened and nothing helps. - Gas mileage has been stagnant...still 18-20 city and 22 - 25 highway. Other than that, it does what I need it to do (hauling kids to sports, school activies, shopping runs, etc.) so I won't complain too much. My next vehicle will probably not be another RAV4 but I wouldn't downplay it if someone told me they were considering buying one.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine and plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish needs some definite attention. I've taken it to two dealerships regarding the noise from the rear and received the standard "that's normal" response. It's not normal for any car I've ever owned but I don't have the time or energy to debate the issue with them. Would love better gas mileage but I knew what I was getting when I bought it.

hate my new rav4
By josette1313

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

being my first new car I should think I'd love it, or at least like it, but I hate this thing. It is too cramped feeling inside, the cup holders are ridiculously worthless and out of reach, it's such a stripped down model I can't believe I paid what I did for this. I have always driven luxury-level cars which seem to be a thing of the past, but this is bottom of the barrell in my view and I can't wait until I can get rid of it. this will not be good when I go on cross-country trips and won't be able to have a cup of ice water or tea close at hand

Favorite Features

cute exterior style extra glove box bright head lights

Suggested Improvements

cup holders that are within reach cup holders that can actually hold something larger than a 12-ounce can or maybe 16-ounce cup more hip room, at least for driver window controls that are easily accessible...you have to be a contortionist to reach these around the door handle climate control should be standard decent radio should be standard auto headlights should be standard

Great - Practical CUV
By ironjasper

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After six weeks with my new RAV4, I remain impressed. The car is comfortable, handles well, and has more than adequate pick-up. There is plenty of room in the back seat for my three boys and the cargo area seems big for this segment. We took the RAV4 onto the beach last week and it handled the deep Delaware sand like a champ. I have been averaging 23.7 - 24.6 MPG around town and rural back roads. During highway trips, I have averaged 26.5 - 27.3 MPG. When you have the sunroof open (even with the windows closed) the car is still fairly quiet, there is no loud resonance you sometime get in cars equipped with sunroofs. By the way, I'm 6' 1" and I have plenty of room in the front seat.

Favorite Features

Smooth motor, Lots of room, lockable 4-wheel-drive, good looks, quiet sunroof, trip computer, Bluetooth, nice MPG for an SUV ...

Suggested Improvements

Radio display cuts off 2/3 of the information (Artist / Song Title), 5 or 6 speed transmission with 4-cylinder

Poor MPG
By ocal

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Biggest problem is poor MPG. Bought becuase of the published MPG range. Actual MPG is consistently on the low end. We live in flat Florida. Most driving is rural and occassional light city traffic. 3rd row seet is soo cramped my 6 & 9 year-olds have to sit sideways, if any-one is sitting in 2nd row. Took to dealership (Deluca) to have MPG checked. Service lady treated us like were idiots and later lied to us about how they checked to see if there was any issue (told us a mechanic drove it of 30 minutes continuously at 35mph and MPG was 28MPG). Impossible test. Wish we had bought the Durango or the CRV. Will trade this off soon! (Previoulsly loved our Corolla!)

Favorite Features

Spare tire accessibility (beware spare tire is also tied into tire pressure sensing system, and will drive you nuts trying to identify what tire low, unless you know to check the spare too). Good turn radius. Easy Parking.

Suggested Improvements

Don't lie about the actual MPG! We bought because we trusted Toyota for quality and honesty. We may never buy another one now. Also, the base radio system is very poor. Consider improving the basic stereo quality (decent speakers would be an inexpensive factory add).

good car and dealer
By rpd12

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Comfortable and very good handling. I leased it at World Toyota in lakewood NJ and was impressed with the efficiency & honesty of the dealer and the price. The whole process took 2 hours. I realized later I was charged for the 1st months payment which was suppossed to be included. I emailed the sales mgr and he agreed to refund the payment without hesitation.

Favorite Features

High road clearance and visibility. simple easy dash and controls.

Suggested Improvements

Have back dooe open like a hatch back instead of swinging open which you can't do in a tight parking space. better mpg or electric/hybrid version.