2011 RAV4 4X4 4-cylinder
By windman3 on
2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
I've had my '11 RAV4 for 2 1/2 months. There are many things about this vehicle that I like, but two things that I really dislike: first, the gas mileage is less than what I expected. It will give me 27 mpg on the freeway--but only if I keep my speed under 70. If I go 75 the mileage drops to 26 mpg. If I go 80, it drops to 25. City driving it gives me 22. The other issue I have with this vehicle: the seat is set as far back as it will go and I still cannot stretch out my legs. (I'm 5'8"). This isn't an issue driving locally, but out on the freeway the seating position I'm forced to maintain gets old fast. If I had to do it over I would not have purchased this vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
1. A 5th gear to improve gas mileage. 2. A longer seat rail to provide more leg room.
By windman3
on 04/06/12 18:15 PM (PDT)

I'm now up to 5,600 miles and I'm giving up on my mpg improving. The most I can get is 25 on the freeway, and that drops if I go 70. City mpg is a joke--18 if I'm lucky. Filled it up today: 264 miles on 12.4 gallons, and more than half of those miles were freeway. Contrary to what katmandu2 thinks, this thing is a pig, and I'll be getting rid of it as soon as it's feasible.

By windman3
on 01/11/12 20:36 PM (PST)

My gas mileage has declined since posting the above review. I'm now getting 25 mpg highway (at a constant 68 mph), 18 city. This thing is a pig, and it's only a 4 cylinder. I was hoping it would improve as I logged more miles (3,500 as of today), but it hasn't yet and I've been told by my dealer's service department that it probably won't. Oh well.

By katmandu2
on 02/19/12 17:30 PM (PST)

FYI, 27 MPG in a small SUV is awesome! Don't complain about that! Also, all MPG suffers with the winter time fuel. Give your truck time to break in and see if MPGs improve a bit when the Summer blend fuel returns.