Used 2011 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Last Toyota
By s_evans

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have a 2011 Rav 4 Limited, owned for close to 2 years now. Have had in shop 3 times for rough start and idle. First time they reprogrammed ECM. Last two times no error code registered and dealer can't replicate; so nothing they can do. Rear View camera only works intermittently. Dealer can't fix unless malfunctioning when car is in shop. Paint is poor quality too many chips to touchup. Engine on occasion has raced out of control, not a floor mat issue, but Toyota doesn't know what is wrong. Front cup holders are awful. Traded from a 2006 Hyundai Sonota and wish I had it back.

Loyal Costomer Lost
By wov3129

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I will never gain buy a Rav 4 and I am doubting if I buy another Toyota. Bad Paint, broken rear-view mirror, pieces falling off my inside and outside my vehicle and no help from Toyota everything is a outside force they can't prove that its a factory defect. WOW Really, my car doesn't have a dent on it on the outside or inside it still smells new and just think my car just made a year old in June 2012 can't wait for another two years to see what else falls off. I have always stood up and preferred Toyota vehicles over any other brand but it seems to only be their older models. It doesn't matter how long the car runs if it has fallen apart before you can put the miles on it is worthleless

Favorite Features

Maybe the Motor I Don't Know its still early.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality on paint and other parts that don't directly effect the motor.

Bad paint
By lorav

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In April 2012 I bought a Toyota Rav 4 2011. It is July 3 2012 and already there is a penny size paint chip that came off the hood. The dealer will not even report it let alone have it fixed. There are lots of reports of bad paint being used on Rav4s for years. And Toyota ignores it.

Favorite Features

Lots of room

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to change the paint it uses .

4500 mile, 6 month review
By sm1791

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this RAV4 for Toyota quality. I wanted a quality, V6 , 4x4 small SUV. Overall, I am satisfied so far. (I just got the base model-keep in mind). Acceleration and power is great. Ride could be better, but not bad. Terrible air vibrations when driving with rear windows down (my Liberty did same thing?) Overall interior and exterior functionality is really good. Except...Toyota, this SUV needs a flip-up rear hatch! V6 engine is a little loud for a new Toyota...could be the upgraded alternator. Gas mileage is good...24.2 mpg average...about 28 hwy driving conservatively. Hopefully will increase with synth. oil next month. Overall...7 out of 10 stars so far.

15K Mile Update
By sheepleking

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

15K mile Update - Well the tapping noise is gone but honeymoon is over. I still like the RAV4, but now all the little things are starting to poke their heads out. - It definitely rides more like a truck now than when I bought it, with the suspension sending me jarring messages over all but the best of roads. - There are also little rattles and squeaks coming from the riser by my head between the driver and passenger door. - The driver's side window rattles a little (just a tiny amount but it's definitely noticeable to me) - The noise from the rear when doing 25mph or less is horrible. It sounds like a squeaky/rattleing cage. I've looked at all the seals, made sure everything was tightened and nothing helps. - Gas mileage has been stagnant...still 18-20 city and 22 - 25 highway. Other than that, it does what I need it to do (hauling kids to sports, school activies, shopping runs, etc.) so I won't complain too much. My next vehicle will probably not be another RAV4 but I wouldn't downplay it if someone told me they were considering buying one.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine and plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish needs some definite attention. I've taken it to two dealerships regarding the noise from the rear and received the standard "that's normal" response. It's not normal for any car I've ever owned but I don't have the time or energy to debate the issue with them. Would love better gas mileage but I knew what I was getting when I bought it.