Used 2011 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Toyota has a lot of nerve classifying this as a 4WD
By susandreak

2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the dealer. Hate this "SUV". I live in the northeast; I've always owned a 4WD to insure mobility in the winter months. This vehicle does not fit that bill, in the least. If you need a vehicle that needs to be functional and not just cute, find something else.

No hill holder on 4cyl. 4wd
By rr93lwb

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2011 RAV4 Limited 4cyl. 4x4. For me (6'3") I find seat bottom short and uncomfortable. Mom (5'4") loves the seats. Ride isn't terrible but still bounces around like SUVs do. Rides nicely on highway. One of the quieter vehicles. Visibility is pretty good. Storage and cargo space is great. Mom is averaging 14mpg because she drives short 3-5 mile trips to the store or doctor and frequently sits in traffic. But, it's still 3-4mpg below lowest EPA estimate. 1 highway trip 1000miles I averaged close to 30mpg. There is no hill holder on the 4cyl. 4wd model. Car rolls back quickly and easily if stopped on incline and remove foot from brake. Very disconcerting. Only thing my mom does not like.

Entry and exit. Height makes it easy for older folks to get in and out. Steering feels light and good turning radius. While side opening tailgate can be an issue in certain situations, for my mom, it's worked out best. She's realized that she would have had difficulty reaching up to pull down and close a tailgate that opened vertically. Mom loves everything but the lack of a hill holder.

Hill holder, hill holder, hill holder; Big thing, and surprising that it's missing on a vehicle in this day and age. If I'd noticed it prior to purchase, I might have pushed my mom towards the v6 RAV4. Is it a big deal, no, but when you're on a big hill and you release the brake, the speed and ease with which the RAV4 rolls backwards can catch you off guard. It also necessitates flooring the gas to stop the roll and begin moving forward. It honestly feels like driving a manual, but without the clutch and gear lever. For older folks, like my mom, with slower reflexes it can be frightening.

Last Toyota
By s_evans

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have a 2011 Rav 4 Limited, owned for close to 2 years now. Have had in shop 3 times for rough start and idle. First time they reprogrammed ECM. Last two times no error code registered and dealer can't replicate; so nothing they can do. Rear View camera only works intermittently. Dealer can't fix unless malfunctioning when car is in shop. Paint is poor quality too many chips to touchup. Engine on occasion has raced out of control, not a floor mat issue, but Toyota doesn't know what is wrong. Front cup holders are awful. Traded from a 2006 Hyundai Sonota and wish I had it back.

Loyal Costomer Lost
By wov3129

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I will never gain buy a Rav 4 and I am doubting if I buy another Toyota. Bad Paint, broken rear-view mirror, pieces falling off my inside and outside my vehicle and no help from Toyota everything is a outside force they can't prove that its a factory defect. WOW Really, my car doesn't have a dent on it on the outside or inside it still smells new and just think my car just made a year old in June 2012 can't wait for another two years to see what else falls off. I have always stood up and preferred Toyota vehicles over any other brand but it seems to only be their older models. It doesn't matter how long the car runs if it has fallen apart before you can put the miles on it is worthleless

Maybe the Motor I Don't Know its still early.

Better quality on paint and other parts that don't directly effect the motor.

Bad paint
By lorav

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In April 2012 I bought a Toyota Rav 4 2011. It is July 3 2012 and already there is a penny size paint chip that came off the hood. The dealer will not even report it let alone have it fixed. There are lots of reports of bad paint being used on Rav4s for years. And Toyota ignores it.

Lots of room

Toyota needs to change the paint it uses .