2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Initial Impressions of RAV4
By isophorone on 10/20/14 04:20 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought a used 2011 Base FWD RAV4 with 24K mi on it as we were outgrowing a 1999 Corolla with 199k miles. This RAV4 is pretty stripped down but does have tinted glass. The acceleration is great for a 4 cylinder and the car is quiet. We get 24-25 MPG suburban driving, 28 mpg hwy. Kids are comfortable in the back, and there is plenty of storage for our needs. Visibility good.

No More Domestics
By buddyboy59 on 09/09/14 12:30 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

purchased a 2011 Base rav4 4 cyl with 35K,traded in a 03 Hemi Ram Quadcab,compared to the ram this is a riding lawnmower on steroids,now i can pass a gas station,the fit and finish is excellent,rides very nice for a short wheelbase vehicle,i find the 4 cyl to be very adequate for daily driving,mileage is good also,the interior is roomy,if you like the glitz and glamour look,this wont do it for you,personally,i prefer basic and reliable,banking on the toyota reliability to serve me well for a number of years,overall very pleased.

Rattles, Squeaks, Noises, Nonstop
By halfpast6 on 03/23/14 22:28 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This could have been a great car, but some issues keep it from even coming close. For one, this is the loudest car I've ever owned. It rattles, creaks, and squeaks like no other. On a typical drive I'll hear rattles from the sunroof, dashboard, some random panels on the drivers side, and the cargo area. The brakes make a grinding noise every morning when I depress the pedal. Some of the noises are so loud it makes the driving experience miserable, especially for a 2011 model. If you're considering one of these, I highly suggest driving with the stereo off so you can hear for yourself. I'll likely never buy a Toyota again after this experience. I've driven 15 year old cars quieter than this.

Great so far
By sjohn90929 on 04/07/13 10:08 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2011 RAV, and for me it was a no brainer. I've always had Toyota's -- so maybe I'm biased in that direction -- but the test drives convinced me. I live in the Sierras, so I need a vehicle with high clearance. At first, I wanted a jeep, but driving two of the Liberty's was like driving a car weighed down by boulders. I couldn't believe how sluggish the Liberty was....Then I drove the RAV -- the thing took off like a rocket. It was almost too responsive -- I tapped the pedal and it would lunge forward. And the MPG is almost as good as that of my aging Corolla... It could be that after a while paint chips will fall off, or whatever, as others have said. But I am happy so far.

Toyota has a lot of nerve classifying this as a 4WD
By susandreak on 12/27/12 12:48 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the dealer. Hate this "SUV". I live in the northeast; I've always owned a 4WD to insure mobility in the winter months. This vehicle does not fit that bill, in the least. If you need a vehicle that needs to be functional and not just cute, find something else.

No hill holder on 4cyl. 4wd
By rr93lwb on 10/20/12 00:10 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2011 RAV4 Limited 4cyl. 4x4. For me (6'3") I find seat bottom short and uncomfortable. Mom (5'4") loves the seats. Ride isn't terrible but still bounces around like SUVs do. Rides nicely on highway. One of the quieter vehicles. Visibility is pretty good. Storage and cargo space is great. Mom is averaging 14mpg because she drives short 3-5 mile trips to the store or doctor and frequently sits in traffic. But, it's still 3-4mpg below lowest EPA estimate. 1 highway trip 1000miles I averaged close to 30mpg. There is no hill holder on the 4cyl. 4wd model. Car rolls back quickly and easily if stopped on incline and remove foot from brake. Very disconcerting. Only thing my mom does not like.

Last Toyota
By s_evans on 08/09/12 20:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have a 2011 Rav 4 Limited, owned for close to 2 years now. Have had in shop 3 times for rough start and idle. First time they reprogrammed ECM. Last two times no error code registered and dealer can't replicate; so nothing they can do. Rear View camera only works intermittently. Dealer can't fix unless malfunctioning when car is in shop. Paint is poor quality too many chips to touchup. Engine on occasion has raced out of control, not a floor mat issue, but Toyota doesn't know what is wrong. Front cup holders are awful. Traded from a 2006 Hyundai Sonota and wish I had it back.

Loyal Costomer Lost
By wov3129 on 07/18/12 15:16 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I will never gain buy a Rav 4 and I am doubting if I buy another Toyota. Bad Paint, broken rear-view mirror, pieces falling off my inside and outside my vehicle and no help from Toyota everything is a outside force they can't prove that its a factory defect. WOW Really, my car doesn't have a dent on it on the outside or inside it still smells new and just think my car just made a year old in June 2012 can't wait for another two years to see what else falls off. I have always stood up and preferred Toyota vehicles over any other brand but it seems to only be their older models. It doesn't matter how long the car runs if it has fallen apart before you can put the miles on it is worthleless

Bad paint
By lorav on 07/03/12 11:12 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In April 2012 I bought a Toyota Rav 4 2011. It is July 3 2012 and already there is a penny size paint chip that came off the hood. The dealer will not even report it let alone have it fixed. There are lots of reports of bad paint being used on Rav4s for years. And Toyota ignores it.

4500 mile, 6 month review
By sm1791 on 06/03/12 06:11 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this RAV4 for Toyota quality. I wanted a quality, V6 , 4x4 small SUV. Overall, I am satisfied so far. (I just got the base model-keep in mind). Acceleration and power is great. Ride could be better, but not bad. Terrible air vibrations when driving with rear windows down (my Liberty did same thing?) Overall interior and exterior functionality is really good. Except...Toyota, this SUV needs a flip-up rear hatch! V6 engine is a little loud for a new Toyota...could be the upgraded alternator. Gas mileage is good...24.2 mpg average...about 28 hwy driving conservatively. Hopefully will increase with synth. oil next month. Overall...7 out of 10 stars so far.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota RAV4 Suv in VA is:

$130 per month*