2011 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Rattles, Squeaks, Noises, Nonstop
By halfpast6 on 03/23/14 22:28 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This could have been a great car, but some issues keep it from even coming close. For one, this is the loudest car I've ever owned. It rattles, creaks, and squeaks like no other. On a typical drive I'll hear rattles from the sunroof, dashboard, some random panels on the drivers side, and the cargo area. The brakes make a grinding noise every morning when I depress the pedal. Some of the noises are so loud it makes the driving experience miserable, especially for a 2011 model. If you're considering one of these, I highly suggest driving with the stereo off so you can hear for yourself. I'll likely never buy a Toyota again after this experience. I've driven 15 year old cars quieter than this.

Great so far
By sjohn90929 on 04/07/13 10:08 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2011 RAV, and for me it was a no brainer. I've always had Toyota's -- so maybe I'm biased in that direction -- but the test drives convinced me. I live in the Sierras, so I need a vehicle with high clearance. At first, I wanted a jeep, but driving two of the Liberty's was like driving a car weighed down by boulders. I couldn't believe how sluggish the Liberty was....Then I drove the RAV -- the thing took off like a rocket. It was almost too responsive -- I tapped the pedal and it would lunge forward. And the MPG is almost as good as that of my aging Corolla... It could be that after a while paint chips will fall off, or whatever, as others have said. But I am happy so far.

Toyota has a lot of nerve classifying this as a 4WD
By susandreak on 12/27/12 12:48 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the dealer. Hate this "SUV". I live in the northeast; I've always owned a 4WD to insure mobility in the winter months. This vehicle does not fit that bill, in the least. If you need a vehicle that needs to be functional and not just cute, find something else.

No hill holder on 4cyl. 4wd
By rr93lwb on 10/20/12 00:10 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2011 RAV4 Limited 4cyl. 4x4. For me (6'3") I find seat bottom short and uncomfortable. Mom (5'4") loves the seats. Ride isn't terrible but still bounces around like SUVs do. Rides nicely on highway. One of the quieter vehicles. Visibility is pretty good. Storage and cargo space is great. Mom is averaging 14mpg because she drives short 3-5 mile trips to the store or doctor and frequently sits in traffic. But, it's still 3-4mpg below lowest EPA estimate. 1 highway trip 1000miles I averaged close to 30mpg. There is no hill holder on the 4cyl. 4wd model. Car rolls back quickly and easily if stopped on incline and remove foot from brake. Very disconcerting. Only thing my mom does not like.

Last Toyota
By s_evans on 08/09/12 20:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have a 2011 Rav 4 Limited, owned for close to 2 years now. Have had in shop 3 times for rough start and idle. First time they reprogrammed ECM. Last two times no error code registered and dealer can't replicate; so nothing they can do. Rear View camera only works intermittently. Dealer can't fix unless malfunctioning when car is in shop. Paint is poor quality too many chips to touchup. Engine on occasion has raced out of control, not a floor mat issue, but Toyota doesn't know what is wrong. Front cup holders are awful. Traded from a 2006 Hyundai Sonota and wish I had it back.

Loyal Costomer Lost
By wov3129 on 07/18/12 15:16 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I will never gain buy a Rav 4 and I am doubting if I buy another Toyota. Bad Paint, broken rear-view mirror, pieces falling off my inside and outside my vehicle and no help from Toyota everything is a outside force they can't prove that its a factory defect. WOW Really, my car doesn't have a dent on it on the outside or inside it still smells new and just think my car just made a year old in June 2012 can't wait for another two years to see what else falls off. I have always stood up and preferred Toyota vehicles over any other brand but it seems to only be their older models. It doesn't matter how long the car runs if it has fallen apart before you can put the miles on it is worthleless

Bad paint
By lorav on 07/03/12 11:12 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In April 2012 I bought a Toyota Rav 4 2011. It is July 3 2012 and already there is a penny size paint chip that came off the hood. The dealer will not even report it let alone have it fixed. There are lots of reports of bad paint being used on Rav4s for years. And Toyota ignores it.

4500 mile, 6 month review
By sm1791 on 06/03/12 06:11 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this RAV4 for Toyota quality. I wanted a quality, V6 , 4x4 small SUV. Overall, I am satisfied so far. (I just got the base model-keep in mind). Acceleration and power is great. Ride could be better, but not bad. Terrible air vibrations when driving with rear windows down (my Liberty did same thing?) Overall interior and exterior functionality is really good. Except...Toyota, this SUV needs a flip-up rear hatch! V6 engine is a little loud for a new Toyota...could be the upgraded alternator. Gas mileage is good...24.2 mpg average...about 28 hwy driving conservatively. Hopefully will increase with synth. oil next month. Overall...7 out of 10 stars so far.

15K Mile Update
By sheepleking on 03/14/12 08:52 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

15K mile Update - Well the tapping noise is gone but honeymoon is over. I still like the RAV4, but now all the little things are starting to poke their heads out. - It definitely rides more like a truck now than when I bought it, with the suspension sending me jarring messages over all but the best of roads. - There are also little rattles and squeaks coming from the riser by my head between the driver and passenger door. - The driver's side window rattles a little (just a tiny amount but it's definitely noticeable to me) - The noise from the rear when doing 25mph or less is horrible. It sounds like a squeaky/rattleing cage. I've looked at all the seals, made sure everything was tightened and nothing helps. - Gas mileage has been stagnant...still 18-20 city and 22 - 25 highway. Other than that, it does what I need it to do (hauling kids to sports, school activies, shopping runs, etc.) so I won't complain too much. My next vehicle will probably not be another RAV4 but I wouldn't downplay it if someone told me they were considering buying one.

hate my new rav4
By josette1313 on 03/09/12 07:09 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

being my first new car I should think I'd love it, or at least like it, but I hate this thing. It is too cramped feeling inside, the cup holders are ridiculously worthless and out of reach, it's such a stripped down model I can't believe I paid what I did for this. I have always driven luxury-level cars which seem to be a thing of the past, but this is bottom of the barrell in my view and I can't wait until I can get rid of it. this will not be good when I go on cross-country trips and won't be able to have a cup of ice water or tea close at hand

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota RAV4 in VA is:

$130 per month*