Used 2011 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Initial Impressions of RAV4
By isophorone

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought a used 2011 Base FWD RAV4 with 24K mi on it as we were outgrowing a 1999 Corolla with 199k miles. This RAV4 is pretty stripped down but does have tinted glass. The acceleration is great for a 4 cylinder and the car is quiet. We get 24-25 MPG suburban driving, 28 mpg hwy. Kids are comfortable in the back, and there is plenty of storage for our needs. Visibility good.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, ease of steering (almost TOO easy), basic features, quietness of car, reasonable comfort, trunk space, fuel economy, Toyota reliability (we hope). Wife likes it, that's all that matters!

Suggested Improvements

These are mostly nit-picky, but here goes. Radio is a bit far to reach. Seats could use some more padding (though we are not tall people). Handling is a bit too loosey-goosey (though we also have a Mitsubishi Outlander, which seems more precise). Radio sound is not that great. Mirror controls are in a weird place. Would prefer a top hinged hatch and more auto transmission gears, but we didn't want to spend the money on a newer model RAV4.

No More Domestics
By buddyboy59

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

purchased a 2011 Base rav4 4 cyl with 35K,traded in a 03 Hemi Ram Quadcab,compared to the ram this is a riding lawnmower on steroids,now i can pass a gas station,the fit and finish is excellent,rides very nice for a short wheelbase vehicle,i find the 4 cyl to be very adequate for daily driving,mileage is good also,the interior is roomy,if you like the glitz and glamour look,this wont do it for you,personally,i prefer basic and reliable,banking on the toyota reliability to serve me well for a number of years,overall very pleased.

Favorite Features

roomy,comfortable,gas mileage,durability,build quality,very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

none at the moment

Rattles, Squeaks, Noises, Nonstop
By halfpast6

2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This could have been a great car, but some issues keep it from even coming close. For one, this is the loudest car I've ever owned. It rattles, creaks, and squeaks like no other. On a typical drive I'll hear rattles from the sunroof, dashboard, some random panels on the drivers side, and the cargo area. The brakes make a grinding noise every morning when I depress the pedal. Some of the noises are so loud it makes the driving experience miserable, especially for a 2011 model. If you're considering one of these, I highly suggest driving with the stereo off so you can hear for yourself. I'll likely never buy a Toyota again after this experience. I've driven 15 year old cars quieter than this.

Favorite Features

The appearance is decent, acceleration is good. The engine is quiet, and feels reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Please improve the interior build quality. I feel like they used the cheapest flimsiest plastic available, and it really hurts the overall quality of the vehicle.

Great so far
By sjohn90929

2011 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2011 RAV, and for me it was a no brainer. I've always had Toyota's -- so maybe I'm biased in that direction -- but the test drives convinced me. I live in the Sierras, so I need a vehicle with high clearance. At first, I wanted a jeep, but driving two of the Liberty's was like driving a car weighed down by boulders. I couldn't believe how sluggish the Liberty was....Then I drove the RAV -- the thing took off like a rocket. It was almost too responsive -- I tapped the pedal and it would lunge forward. And the MPG is almost as good as that of my aging Corolla... It could be that after a while paint chips will fall off, or whatever, as others have said. But I am happy so far.

Favorite Features

Power. Gas Mileage. Off road capability. And the fact that Toyota's last a long time...

Suggested Improvements

The RAV is a bit too big for my tastes. I wish they were smaller, as they were in the late 90's ...But, I suppose the trend in toward bigger SUV's....

Toyota has a lot of nerve classifying this as a 4WD
By susandreak

2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the dealer. Hate this "SUV". I live in the northeast; I've always owned a 4WD to insure mobility in the winter months. This vehicle does not fit that bill, in the least. If you need a vehicle that needs to be functional and not just cute, find something else.