Used 2010 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Happy with my purchase!
By lindseym1

2010 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my 2010 RAV4 this September so it's only been 3 months but so far, so good. I traded in my 2004 RAV4, which I did enjoy driving as well. The 2010 is much roomier. I love how the backseat folds down so easily (I had to take the seats out in the '04), there is a lot of room in the back, and the drive itself is great- smooth and not a lot of road noise. My main complaints are the cupholders and lack of change drawer! I drive 50/50 highway/city and get ~22mpg. I wish this could be higher but I have the V6, 4 wheel drive so I guess that comes with the territory!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, smooth drive, not a lot of road noise, roomy, easy to fold down seats (and they fold into the floor, providing a lot of room)

Suggested Improvements

Change cupholders so they can be adjusted to beverage container size, put change drawer back to the left of the wheel

awesome car, glad I got v6 and 4x4
By jtreeclimber

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are a toyota family, going back to 1966 and my dad's 67 Corona. I couldn't decide between the forester, rav4 and the honda crv. What convinced me to get my rav4 was that it was the only one with a v6. We just drove our rav4 to Palm Springs, California and back, from Tacoma. We had 4 people and at least 500 pounds of climbing gear both inside the car, and on top of the rack. We averaged around 21 to 23 miles a gallon to LA and back. The car has a ton of power, and can cruise at 80 all day, even uphill and loaded down. With nokian happelita studded tires it is a tiger in the snow. 6000 on the odometer and perfect so far. You can sleep stretched out in the back. Best car I've ever had.

Favorite Features

storage room! It's bigger inside than it looks. The rack on top will accept a plywood board, to add lots more stuff tied down. Love the v6, wish it was easier to find them without the 4x4, but that is handy in snow. It's super nice to have power with a heavy load. Outside temp readout is sweet. The swing sideways backdoor is cool, though I miss the awning effect in rain. The car looks sweet, great design. Did I mention I like the big engine? I would gladly trade the few miles per gallon for the amazing driving performance of this thing. Fun to drive! The fit and finish is very tight, outside and in.

Suggested Improvements

stick shift. Padded elbow rests in the doors. Make the front of the car bigger so the engine isn't so cramped, I'd hate to have to work on this car....the v6 is really packed in there tightly. Because of the lack of rain gutters, and better door seal rubber, the rain drips right onto the seat when the doors are open. I think it is because the car is narrower at the top, so the rain runs off the roof, and onto the seat when doors are open. Not a deal breaker, but kinda' dumb. Harder rubber, or even steel on the back bumper stand plate. Standing on it scratched the heck out of it. More comfortable head rests.

First Year Review
By bob t

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our RAV-4 at the beginning of the year. We got the RAV when the price dropped to the same level as the Forester. The stock tires were fine the end of the first winter. I bought some Blizzak DM-V1s for this winter as the OEMs have poor ratings for winter driving. No problems with combined mileage at 27+ mpg. The vehicle rides a little rough and the steering, brakes, and accelerator are a bit sensitive.

Favorite Features

AWD in this late fall snow and ice. Excellent traction with the DM-V1s. The 4 WD lock works very well when desired. 27+ mpg combined is very good. Good acceleration and control ability. My wife likes the design (looks) better than the Forester.

Suggested Improvements

The side opening rear door is a pain. The OEM tires wear fast and do not deserve a M&S designation. Decrease the sensitivity of the steering, brakes, and accelerator.

Toyota RAV4
By J Donohoe

2010 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my RAV4 after looking at the Honda CRV, Acura RDX, Kia, Mazda and Hyndai small SUVs. I was previously driving a 2007 BMW X3. I was able to get an excellent price on my purchase after using Edmunds dealer quote program, sales price was even $1500 lower than average displayed. I have driven my RAV4 for 600 miles and am already averaging 23 MPG.

Favorite Features

My RAV4 likes are that it comfortable, economical and a little bit sporty. Additionally, the drive train is well balanced with the weight of the vehicle for a 4WD V6 configuration. My likes (coming from a previous BMW)are that I have driven 600 miles without having experienced major quality issues.

Suggested Improvements

My dislikes (coming from a previous BMW)are that the interior seems cheap, leather is thin, plastic surfaces hard, no power seat for the passenger, small sunroof, and no auto door locks. I would also prefer a 4 WD low range option.

Nav lockout disappointing
By jacksonholerski

2010 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle after months of researching it and other vehicles. I can't believe I never came across anyone talking about the navigation system which does not allow you to use it when the vehicle is moving! I couldn't understand why the nav would only work sometimes and then on a road trip 2 days ago I finally stopped at an out of state dealer that told me why. It is so dangerous to stop to use the navigation system! I never would have bought either the car or the car with nav already in it. I feel cheated and betrayed and likely sell this car and demand a rebate from Toyota.

Favorite Features

Size. Heated seats. Keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the nav system so it doesn't lockout when vehicle is moving! Put some comfort in the passenger seat - electronic controls with a lumbar support. I have yet to get decent fuel mileage.