Used 2010 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

one of the best values
By skipk2

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 24,000 miles on my 2010 base RAV4 V6. It's been a terrific experience. it's very powerful and the mileage is good for a vehicle of it's size. I get 28 mpg on road trips. i love it's handling. this is one of the best values around. I intend to keep it for at least 250,000 miles.

handling, space, ground clearance, looks

don't like the spare tire location on the back door

High Expectations and Pleased
By Anna Petey

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a first-time crossover/SUV buyer, in which I traded-in my 1997 Honda Accord (the best car model ever made, in my opinion) w/ 160,000 miles, and felt it was time for an upgrade since I'm moving to a mountain state. Going from a car that got 31 mpg hwy to a heftier and less efficient model was tough, but I have actually been happier than I expected, with the RAV4. I get an average of 24 mpg, and probably up to 26-7 on the hwy. I had heard that the Sport models have a rougher road experience b/c of the tires, so I opted for the Base model instead. Compared to my Accord, there is less engine noise and much less road noise than some of the CR-Vs I test drove. Overall a good, smart choice!

I like the exterior look--fancier than interior look, for sure. The spare tire does not intrude on window visibility. Lots of interior space/headroom. Lots of hidden cargo space! I am 5'8" female w/ long legs and am very comfortable driving. Smooth ride, and tons of "pep" when accelerating!

Better mpg, if possible. Needs to include volume and radio controls on steering wheel for Base models. Rear door is heavy, when closing. Add plastic mats to cargo space, instead of carpet. Doors are light and don't close well w/o some 'oomph.'

Gas Pedal Recall Unsettling
By froggie

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

PRO- Goes in the Snow! This vehicle was great this winter. Handles good. Back seat reclines and folds flat. Pick-up very good. Gas mileage OK. Fabulous visibility when backing up etc., CON- Very upset about the gas pedal recall. Purchased vehicle mid January 2010 and recall happened shortly afterward. Ouch! Do not like the front cup holder positions. Cups block power plug. Would like air/heater controls for rear seats. Would prefer the rear door to hinge upward instead of opening to the side. Really needs some basic lumbar controls. Overall would have given a much higher rating if it never had the gas pedal recall but it has caused so much anxiety that I don't think as highly of Toyota now

Reclining back seats. Traction in the snow is great.

SMART BRAKING SYSTEM - Please! Hinge back door upwards instead of to the side. Move the cup holders in the front. Lumbar adjustment for drive.

Disappointed
By Dave

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 3,500 I am amending my review, and I now regret my purchase. Recall issues aside, I have a Denso pedal and my car is not on the list, I am beginning to think that Toyota's quality problems are not limited to the recalled parts. The transmission shifts abruptly at low speed, my driver's door handle sticks, my breaks squeak, rough idle, and my gas mileage stinks (best 23.5 on the highway at speed limit). When I was at Toyota for a recall inspection, I told the service manager and he replied, "Try putting premium gas in," which the owner's manual says not to do. I paid too much money to be driving a vehicle reminiscent of a Ford.

I still like the powerful V6, and 4 wheel drive. I drove in loose sand on the beach with ease.

Refocus on quality!

First new Toyota
By Unk

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This review is a a small payback for ALL the good info I found here when looking. Basic V6, tow pkg only...replacement for my wife's high mileage V8 truck...she is happy in every respect. Plenty of power, decent mileage..all in all, a better vehicle than I expected.

V6 power, ride and handling