2010 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

2010 RAV4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Sort Reviews by

Is this a great car or what?
By rafi

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Best cargo space in its class, lots of useful compartments. Was skeptical of the spare on back and swinging back door - now I love those features, make the car even more practical. Leg room in the second row is impressive. Acceleration is adequate. Gas mileage great if you drive carefully and don't unnecessarily rev up the engine; on a highway when driving not more than 65mph you can easily get 30 mpg. I own mine for 2 months now, I do 50/50 city/highway mix and my average mpg is 28.2, weather and driving conditions were perfect, though - during winter and sweltering summer days I expect the average mpg drop a little, perhaps to 27 not lower. Oil change every 5K instead 3K - like it too.

Favorite Features

roominess, gas mileage, exterior design

Suggested Improvements

improve gas mileage even more

Great so far!
By smokey10

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my RAV4 7 months ago and I've never liked a car better than my new one. Ride is smooth enough and all these things I read on reviews about vibrating and stuff, never experienced it except when I'm driving on rough roads and unpaved ones, quite expected I would think. My car is the limited model and the convenience of the features really fits me well. The only thing I don't like about my car is how much I paid for it. Gas mileage is very reasonable since I'm primarily the only passenger plus my little dog, we're so happy to go out of town occasionally on weekends with comfort. I agree it's no escalade nor a Land Rover, but it certainly fits most responsible,low profile people like me

Favorite Features

Roominess of the interior plus the added features like bluetooth, upgraded sound system+XM radio, leather seats w/heat and auto AC.

Suggested Improvements

back view not really appealing plus the side door opening, very inconvenient. Hood jack should be like the new Camry 2011.

Upgraded to Rav4 from 2005 Nissan Altima
By Rav4_Lover

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Being upgraded from 2005 Nissan Altima (Sedan). This is my first ever new car in my life. I love my Rav4 for the roominess, comfort & great performance. Fun & Steady driving. My family loves it. I4cyl has great power in it compared to CR-V. Had to return the Sport model, as the sport tuned suspension did not give a comfortable ride for the rear seated passengers.

Favorite Features

Extra storage beneath the cargo area, full-size spare tire on the back door, best cargo space in compact suv segment, powerful engine for a i4cyl, great fuel economy, sturdy exteriors,

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interiors, Make v6 as an option rather than a separate model. Missing Charcoal/Black carpets & seats.

My rav
By mike

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love its design which is both fun and classy. Toyota doesn't need to resort to cheap tricks to get a higher selling price for a quality vehicle. The interior is perfectly designed (and I believe other manufacturers like Hyundai have taken note of this). This vehicle handles curves almost like a sport car. The radio lighting is a little dim during the day which is awkward but at night the interior lighting is a show in itself. Its classy, its all-purpose, mileage could be better but worth the trade-off for its response. Luv it!

Favorite Features

Interior Lighting. Sleek, classy build and ROOM!

Suggested Improvements

Improve mileage to 33 or above and you'll sell 'em all! Make Colored side mirrors with turn signals, colored door handles and fender flares standard. Maybe better speakers in base model.

Beer Can
By Rav4

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I Bought a base rav4 w 4 cylinder in July and I am shocked at how noisy it is. It is like riding in a beer can on a bucket. This is by far the noisiest vehicle I have ever owned. Vehicle sounds like you are in a constant thunderstorm. They also never sent me a survey of my opinion of my new Rav4, they did however sent me 1 for the Camry I bought the same day. I can't wait to get rid of Rav4. I took it to the dealer because I really thought something was wrong and they said that is the way they are. The brakes grind always, they are weak, you hear every seam, reflector, bump, patch and sound on every kind of road, even on smooth highways. I am beyond disappointed in this vehicle, I am mad.

Favorite Features

Ergonomics good and when i get rid of it

Suggested Improvements

Go back to being Toyota, you are not even Kia right now. Noise reducing insulation and choose tires better. Eliminate that stupid rear wheel. Power seats option on all models

Not a Sienna
By Charlene

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Decided to downsize from a 2005 Sienna XLE to reduce monthly payment & improve gas mileage. Toyota was offering $199 lease & with taxes,etc am paying $252 per month. Averaging 24 mpg (Sienna 15-18) Seats comfortable but ride is very bumpy. Front seat area feels cramped. Headrests force me to sit with seat back out of my comfort zone to avoid sitting with my neck thrust forward. Poor placement of cup holders. Doors do not lock automatically. Quick handling. Good storage in back. Occasional squeaks in dashboard. Occasional grinding sound when braking. This is my 4th Toyota in 16 years & my least favorite. I purchased this rather than a car so we could haul things easily.

Favorite Features

MP3 jack, exterior design, reclining back seats, rear storage, rear door, under floor storage, ease of loading/unloading rear, size.

Suggested Improvements

Headrests need to be overhauled, currently unacceptable. Smoother ride. Better gas mileage. Automatic locks.

Good Small SUV - minor irritations
By jtv1000

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Wife and I bought new RAV4 in May. Got the 3rd row seat option as we have two small boys. Seems like the usual Toyota quality from a mechanical standpoint. Ample power and interior room. 3rd row seats will only work for children in the younger than 10 year range. Not a lot of leg room between 2nd & 3rd row, but lots of different configuration options with 2&3 row seating. Negatives include interior door panels on driver & passenger side that encroach leg space. Some discoloration on the edges of panel because of leg rubbing - very irritating for a brand new car. Dash display button on steering wheel is unnecessary. Top glove box storage bin feels cheap. Good car overall.

Favorite Features

Flexibility with the 3rd row seating. Good MPG. Like the swing out rear door, but won't work with on street parking

Suggested Improvements

Reconfigure interior door panels so they don't encroach on driver and passenger leg space. Use solid colored interior molding rather than painted plastic - if you have paint rub off within 5 months of buying a new car - you get to see the problem every day and not think good things about Toyota.

Satisfied
By langi

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a Honda before. I bought the Toyota Rav 4 after a long review and test drive. I am satisfied with all aspects. Only change might be with the motor revving for a short period when starting the 4 cylinder engine. It takes getting accustomed to this. I would recommend the vehicle to anyone commuting or having to take short trips.

Favorite Features

The displays are easy to read. The all around comfort level is nice. Storage compartments are really a great feature.

Suggested Improvements

The stock sound system is adequate, but it could be of better quality.

Fun to drive
By RT

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very well built, fun to drive, efficient. This Rav4 is everything we expected and then some. More room in inside than it looks on the outside.

Favorite Features

fuel efficient, fun to drive, not expensive for what you get.

Suggested Improvements

none

Great little SUV
By nana

2010 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Searched and researched for 10 months before purchasing my Rav 4. I haven't regretted buying it for even one second! Average mileage is 27.7 combined over the life of the vehicle. Four cylinder has plenty of pep. Love having a hatch that hinges on the side as I am very petite.

Favorite Features

Driver seat can be raised or lowered. Side hinged hatch is easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system speakers are not the best quality. Kind of "tinny" sounding. Had better speakers in my Ford Ranger.