2009 Toyota RAV4 2.5L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Reason for being number 1

2009 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Reason for being number 1 in class
By Will Tell on

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After looking at all the small SUVs, it became apparent that there's really no serious contender for the Toyota. I was actually leaning towards the Honda CR-V when I first started looking, but the Toyota won me over with its better gas mileage and roomier interior. A lot of thought went into laying out the interior, and build quality was very good. I wasn't too sure how a 4 cylinder engine mated to an automatic transmission would perform, but it has more than enough power for daily driving, although I still would have liked to have a manual transmission. Unfortunately, being best in class comes at a higher price tag. Total out the door cost for a sport package was $23.5K as of June 2009.

Favorite Features

Very good gas mileage for this class vehicle, 2.5 engine surprisingly peppy. Very good storage features as well as standard equipment that normally would have been considered options in other SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Really needs to have a stick shift option! Instrument panel visibility could be better.