Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Most Helpful|
Love this SUV
By pingel

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 2009 base model about a month ago and love this vehicle. I traded in my 2006 Kia Sorento EX 4WD vehile that had only 71k on it but was a gas hog and very bad in the snow & slick roads. So far I am averaging 24-25MPG and love the ride. It looks good and feels good. We are going to take a 5 hour trip in a few weeks so we'll see how comfy it is on long trip. It is a little slow on the take off but if that is it's only draw back it's fine.

Favorite Features

I love the way the back seats can be folded down with the pull of the handles from the far back end. Love the AUX availablilty so I can listen to all myold favorites.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders have a lot to be desired. too far to reach for them and no rubber to hold cups in tightly. Also need to move the hazard button closer. Heated outside mirrors on all models.

Love my 2nd RAV4 even more
By jduffy09

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1999 RAV4 that was bulletproof. I recently upgraded to a 2009 Sport V6 w/appearance package. The power of this V6 is amazing and yet fuel economy is not compromised. On a recent 500 mile round-trip I got almost 28 mpg. The 2009 is much more refined and significantly roomier than my old 1999 model. Rear-seat room is significantly improved, as is cargo room, and it is great for families with children and pets. The only disappointment for me is the ride. You feel every little bump, but I think that is specific to the sport model. And hey, it's an SUV after all, not a Cadillac.

Favorite Features

The V6 really rocks!

Suggested Improvements

I wish they could find a way to include a spare tire with the appearance package. Even if it was just a temp. (Our van has the spare mounted underneath.)

I hate it
By Courtney

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is car is horrible. I get it free through work-otherwise, I would never voluntarily purchase one. It's uncomfortable, poorly designed and has a rough ride. The interior looks cheap and has asinine places for cup holders. The fact that this car has a keyless ignition is, in my opinion, a nightmare. I find myself losing the keys like crazy because there's no specific spot for them. The rav also has a very jerky ride to it-not so great when riding with passengers who suffer from car sickness. The back door opens outward as opposed to upward-another stupid feature for obvious reasons. I could go on and on but to sum it up: it's awful!!

Favorite Features

Heat seaters-but even those are on timers which I dislike.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start? Get rid of the ridiculous tire on the rear door and have the door open upward, enough with the seatbelt reminder that beeps annoyingly, comfortable seating would be a huge improvement, bring back an ignition for the keys...or better yet- discontinue this vehicle altogether.

Disappointed
By Dissapointed

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Leased this car for my kid. The transmission shifts and sounds like a cement mixer. The interior is wall-to- wall plastic with no soft areas. The push button glove box is kind of quirky and small. The center console that houses the radio looks and feels like something from a K-Mart appliance center. The fuel filler door is riveted on and has the feeling it is going to be pulled off if too much pressure is exerted. Car is relatively slow. I should have leased the Jeep Patriot or Ford Escape. RAV4 is acceptable, but certainly not anything that is above the others including the domestics. This is the last Toyota I will purchase.

Buyer Beware of Poor Paint
By stew16

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Not as fuel efficient as one would expect for a 4 cylinder, a lot of wind noise, not as good as Toyota claims, the paint chips easily and it's not as thick as it should be, would not recommend this vehicle, keep looking, poor sound system. Woofer is already making noise, at nine months.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, fog lights

Suggested Improvements

Offer an extended warranty on all Rav- 4 paint due to the paint chipping so easily on its new vehicles, buy a lot of touch-up pens and give more than one to each new Rav-4 owner. Include touch up pens with every purchase.