2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
I hate it
By Courtney on 05/28/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is car is horrible. I get it free through work-otherwise, I would never voluntarily purchase one. It's uncomfortable, poorly designed and has a rough ride. The interior looks cheap and has asinine places for cup holders. The fact that this car has a keyless ignition is, in my opinion, a nightmare. I find myself losing the keys like crazy because there's no specific spot for them. The rav also has a very jerky ride to it-not so great when riding with passengers who suffer from car sickness. The back door opens outward as opposed to upward-another stupid feature for obvious reasons. I could go on and on but to sum it up: it's awful!!

Nice
By John on 05/19/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have to say that I am very pleased with this vehicle. I am 6ft 2in and fit comfortably with plenty of leg and head room. The vehicle offers a quiet, smooth ride with minimal engine noise. I have read the digs that it is noisy, the engine is weak etc. Baloney. The RAV4 performs admirably when compared to most any vehicle in its class. And I have compared about 6 of its competitors. My combined mileage with less than 1000 miles, 2/3 highway and 1/3 city is 28.2. No kidding. I am pretty conservative-but this purchase was all about comfort, style, reliability, and mileage. I have them all.

Wonderful
By Picky Picky on 05/12/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I researched for over 2 months for the right vehicle for us. With a large breed dog that travels will us frequently, we needed the cargo space, and the low loading dock. We got everything we asked for in the cargo space, and the handles to put the rear seats down was one of the features we love the most. The V6 has tons of power. We test drove the 4Cyl also, which has plenty of power as well, but was just a bit too noisy. I wouldn't say the seats are "uncomfortable", but without a power seat I'm still trying to find the right position. There seems to be SO much space all around. And the rear seats that fold flat make it all that much better. Love my Rav.

Great SUV
By Central Florida Gal on 05/11/09 16:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car/suv is outstanding. Easy to drive, park and get in and out of. It has the power I need without sacrificing gas mileage. I love it.

Uncomfortable Seats
By DJ on 05/07/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The driver seat and the front passenger seat are very uncomfortable. Probably the worst I experienced in a car. The car performs great but I hate to drive it because of the seat.

I like it
By DC Calif on 05/06/09 19:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great car. I have only had it 3 weeks but I am impressed (good). My other vehicle is F-150 V-8, but this little 4 banger (4 cyl) really has the power, I can't imagine a V-6 in this thing. It only has about 870 miles so far but it really goes fast, I have to watch my speed to keep it under 70 mph. We took the car over to the coast to break in the engine. Up hill and down around sharp curves it was great, power was right there better than my F-150 V-8. Gas mileage is outstanding... on our road trip to the coast and back, freeways at 70-80... my average is 28.1 mpg. I could not believe it. The only bad thing is the brakes. You really have to push the brake pedal hard when coming to a stop sign.

A great SUV for the price and size
By blinker on 04/25/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We compared CRV, RDX and RAV4. The styling and performance of the CRV was less than stellar. The RDX was really cramped feeling in both head and legroom with just OK performance. The RAV4 has much more room and comfort (I'm 6'2"). The V6 is quick and smooth and we are getting around 20+ mpg city. I have seen comments of the RAV being noisy or the seats not comfortable. Don't find that at all. This Sport with appearance pkg. and leather seats is quiet and comfortable--almost making you forget it's a SUV and I am a nitpicker.

Astonishing MPG's
By Jon on 04/24/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving my new Rav for about a month now, and I'll admit I've been surprised (in both good and bad ways) Good (With 4cyl): Incredible gas mileage. I average ~30mpg interstate (with cruise control going 65mph) If I go up to 72mph, I drop to around 24/25mpg so the trick is to keep it slow. Additionally I can get a solid 34mpg doing 55mph on more rural travels. I also use the aux jack constantly with my MP3 player, don't know how I went 9 years without one. We had aftermarket heated seats installed in the cloth seats, nice in Pennsylvania! Bad: The cloth seats are NOT comfortable, sure, they could be worse (i.e. Subaru) but it may be worthwhile to go for leather.

RAV4 Seats & Head Rests
By ann on 04/23/09 15:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a 2009 RAV4 and love everything about it except the seats and head rests. The seats have very little support and the head rests tilt so far forward my neck hurts every time I drive. I have read many complaints about the uncomfortable seats and head rests and don't understand why Toyota can't change them. I won't buy another Toyota until these features are changed.

Doesn't meet all needs, but good vehicle.
By e96732 on 04/22/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The V6 on this little SUV jumps and accelerates well. Coming from a standard 5-speed 4x4 (Pathfinder), it's taking me a little getting used to the auto tranny lag time on the gas pedal. But the power is very impressive once engaged. The ride is very smooth. Has reduced noise, compared to my CRV. The tapered cabin provides more space to the front seats than you'd think. Haven't tested it off road yet, but soon.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 Suv in VA is:

$96 per month*