2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
WOW, I am Impressed with the RAV4
By Hal on 07/12/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family decided on the 2009 Limited RAV4 after the first test drive. We were impressed with a quiet, smooth, and comfortable ride. We also enjoyed the extra space the vehicle provided. We doubted the gas mileage ratings, but after 2 months we believe! We live in a rural area of PA and are getting 28 mpg. On our first 12 hour trip, we got close to 30 mpg. We find the leather seats very comfortable and enjoy the bluetooth phone capabilities....no more worries about getting the phone up to the ear! Keyless entry is nice but can be confusing. I researched just about every available source and they all pointed to this vehicle. Limited with leather is more comfortable than the Base.

Satisfied and pleased with the Toyota RAV4
By VONYC on 07/08/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had a hard time deciding between the 4x4 Toyota Rav4 and the 4x4 Honda CRV. Test drove both vehicles and Toyota won by features, performance and price. Honda has a smaller cabinet and smaller engine lacking performance. As far as price I was quoted similar price on both vehicle but Toyota now includes the Extra Convenience Package, which includes 17" Steel 5 Spoke Style wheels, Privacy Glass, Roof Racks and Floor Mats as for the same.

Excellent Value
By Blue Ridge on 07/06/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the combination of very steep roads and snow/ice is challenging. We had to have 4WD and seating for six, but we wanted good mileage too. After two years of reviewing cars, we got a RAV4. The V6 eats up mountains without straining the transmission. There's a bit of a 'turbo' lag as the transmission gears down, but then the RAV4 jumps past cars when passing. Same engine as the Highlander in a much lighter SUV. Wow. Backdoor and wheel are same as on our Jeep; not a big issue for us. Where else could the full-size spare go? Having a full-size spare is important. Only complaints - mileage is not as good as we want and steering not as tight.

Disappointed
By Dissapointed on 07/04/09 23:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Leased this car for my kid. The transmission shifts and sounds like a cement mixer. The interior is wall-to- wall plastic with no soft areas. The push button glove box is kind of quirky and small. The center console that houses the radio looks and feels like something from a K-Mart appliance center. The fuel filler door is riveted on and has the feeling it is going to be pulled off if too much pressure is exerted. Car is relatively slow. I should have leased the Jeep Patriot or Ford Escape. RAV4 is acceptable, but certainly not anything that is above the others including the domestics. This is the last Toyota I will purchase.

Very good car/sSUV
By Linh on 06/24/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It is fun to drive this car/sSUV. The gas mileage is good. The layout of the temperature controls are good, but the control for the audio is a bit high or out of reach.

Love my Rav 4 Sport
By SteveB on 06/17/09 09:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only had this thing a few weeks now, and it is awesome. Traded in an 07 Highlander which I also loved, except for its interior finish. After 2 tanks of gas I am averaging about 26 mpg with mixed highway and city driving in the RAV. Gas mileage going down the interstate is best when I cruise at 65-70 mph. To me and my wife there was not a huge difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder models performance and as such we did not want to fork over the extra cash. The interior on the Sport is far nicer than the base model for not much more money. The only thing I wouldn't mind having is the 4x4 as our Highlander was AWD and that worked great in bad weather. Overall very happy with the RAV.

In love with my car
By CJK on 06/12/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My husband researched all SUVs in this size range & the Rav4 seemed to come out tops in most areas. With 2 small kids we were truly looking for a used Pilot or Highlander (for 3rd row). But with my 05 Forester lease coming due we ran out of time finding what we wanted in our price range. So I decided on a 3 yr lease of a Rav4 Limited and I AM SO HAPPY! I've only had it for 3 days but at least at this point I could totally see myself buying it at the end of the lease. It's comfortable, roomy, handles wonderfully, and is lovely to look at. Went with Pyrite Mica color with gray leather & love it. I was concerned about comfort but with the pwr & lumber it's great. Average 24 mpg so far.

Good SUV
By Mag on 06/10/09 06:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The V6 engine has great performance. Quiet engine. Fun to drive, easy to park. I like the controls and fold down seats. Good gas mileage, 23/25 town, 27/29 highway. I am very disappointed in the ride, it is more like a truck, not smooth at all. Also the headrest are not comfortable.

A Surprise Decision
By Surprised and Happy on 06/05/09 22:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My BMW 330i was fun, solid and hugely expensive to maintain. I researched many options and while looking at an FJ Cruiser, the salesperson suggested a RAV4. I was surprised at the V6 performance and handling was also unexpected. I loaded it up and chose the Limited because of the heated leather seats.The outside spare was not an issue because I was looking at an FJ. The center dash stack is space ship like and the gauges don't all read top of dial for normal. I'm 6ft 3in. and I can wear a cap with the sunroof. This is a very comfortable car with deceptive interior room and storage space, and it is kinda fun to drive. Got the extended warranty and waved good bye to $1000 repairs.

Reason for being number 1 in class
By Will Tell on 06/01/09 16:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After looking at all the small SUVs, it became apparent that there's really no serious contender for the Toyota. I was actually leaning towards the Honda CR-V when I first started looking, but the Toyota won me over with its better gas mileage and roomier interior. A lot of thought went into laying out the interior, and build quality was very good. I wasn't too sure how a 4 cylinder engine mated to an automatic transmission would perform, but it has more than enough power for daily driving, although I still would have liked to have a manual transmission. Unfortunately, being best in class comes at a higher price tag. Total out the door cost for a sport package was $23.5K as of June 2009.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 Suv in VA is:

$96 per month*