Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Toyota Rav4 Limited Grade = A-
By Randy

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After one month, I am very pleased with my purchase of the 4cyl, as the 6cyl seemed way too much for such a light vehicle. The 4cyl is smoother when accelerating, and powerful enough when needing to pass on the highway. The leather seats are nicely cushioned in the front, but the rear seats are much more firm, making long trips surely less comfortable. I notice some road noise when traveling on the Interstate, but with the radio on I barely hear it. The ride is tremendous, as the suspension absorbs bumps well. Cargo space is awesome, including the hidden compartment for added space. Even with JBL upgrade, FM radio reception is still just okay, but XM satellite reception is much better.

Favorite Features

Love the dual glove compartments! 4cyl acceleration is smooth and plenty powerful, suspension is great, interior comfort is excellent in front seats with plenty of leg room given that I am 6'1". Plenty of cargo space, and getting 24-27 MPG. Fun vehicle to drive, with no regrets yet in buying it!

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders need to be positioned behind the shifter, and the inserts come out too easily when pulling out water bottles. The FM radio reception is below average even with JBL upgrade. Automatic door locks would be nice when car starts to accelerate, and passenger seat needs to be powered too.

Rav4 2009
By NKK

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this Rav4 for almost 2 weeks. It's a Base V6 4wd. The first tank of gas gave me an avg mileage 24 mpg for a combination of Highway and City. Ride quality feels solid but engine noise is very evident for the first few gears and once we pick up speed >40 miles you can hardly hear a hum. I chose the Rav4 over CRV, just because it offers a v6 option and Honda doesn't. I am hoping 270 Hp coupled with 4wd should suffice to drive on hilly and snowy winters.

Favorite Features

The most attractive feature I noticed is the hill descent control. For some reason I didn't understand how to get the hill ascent control working.

Suggested Improvements

2nd row seats can be folded flat with levers provided near the rear door, but, they seem too flimsy and I am doubtful that they might break if I repeat using them few more times. I also wish Toyota considers offering Auto Up/down windows on all doors like they did on the Camry 2010.

Base Rav4
By ctutty

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We decided on a vehicle that allows the wife to enter/exit a higher driving position car. She finds getting in and out of the smaller Rav4 easier on her hip (bursitis). We took the Rav4 for its first long vacation trip, putting a total of 1590 miles on the vehicle. We averaged over 28mpg. The Rav4 handled in a predictable and well mannered fashion, but when rolling over rough pavement, you know you are not riding in a sedan. Some road noise was also evident at slow speeds, possibly due to the larger 17" (steel) wheels that came with the Value Pkg. The wife found the Rav4 a bit better to her driving sense than the CRV we test drove. The only complaint so far is the audio system (muffled).

Favorite Features

Utility of the cargo area and ease of handling. Good driving position.

Suggested Improvements

Audio / acoustics need tweaking on the base radio. I am used to quality audio sound at home and even my 99' Camry has a better sounding radio. Some minor issues with small storage areas.

Nothing Replaces Horsepower
By qoquaq

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

From the moment I had this thing on the road, I loved it! Very fast, very good 4 wheeled discs, excellent handling, and gotta love the bluetooth. Never got the MPG as stated. City 16, combined 20 MPG, but I have a lead foot and love the twisty's! This is the first car that I have owned that the word 'launch' actually applies.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, bluetooth, smart key, high tech safety features.

Suggested Improvements

The torque steer is brutal! Please correct. Satellite radio display does not scroll. Rear camera poorly positioned, which could damage spare. No automatic door locks. Seat heat needs a graduated control like the Sienna. Front cup holders require redesign. No five speed manual tranny option.

MY First Non-American Auto
By bill

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has great gas mileage, handling, performance, style. Forget the frills the Chevy equinox has and buy with confidence. When I purchased the car the dealer said see you first oil change. To my surprise that was the only time I needed the service dept. I own 3-5 vehicles for years and this is the first where I did not become friends with service adviser fixing warranty problems. My son and daughter got rid of their Chevy and Pontiac and they are glad they did also. My gas mileage is 24 to work and 28 on trips.