Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Excellent Small SUV!
By joe

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this Rav4 in March 2009. Has been a great vehicle. No problems so far. 4 cylinder engine has plenty of power for around town. Great ease of use for my wife. We transport 2 toddlers with their stuff, plenty of room. Road noise can be evident on rougher surfaced roads. Has lived up to my expectations relating to previous Toyota I owned. Seems like this Rav4 will be the same way. Would recommend purchase to anyone looking for a smaller SUV that is well designed and very dependable.

Good visibility out, All the safety features that come standard, roomy for its size, wife likes the side opening door instead of a hatch, 4-wheel drive with good fuel economy.

Bigger cup holders, there are plenty of cup holders but they are all designed for water bottles it seems. I agree with other reviews that the cupholders in center console would be better located behind the shift lever.

Awesome
By Doug

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is awesome in nearly every detail. Power to spare, great gas mileage. Only 1 complaint: Base model upgraded stereo system leaves something to be desired. Display does not scroll so you can't see XM info, which is unacceptable since XM has been around for a long time now. Speakers do not sound very good. Way too much bass. Everything else about the car rocks. Seats fold flat with the pull of a lever from the back end. Makes it very convenient to load stuff for hauling. Pulls my fishing boat with power to spare. Ride comfort is great, seats very comfortable, handles great, bluetooth attachment great. Tinted glass on rear window makes auto-dimming mirror unnecessary.

1. Instant gas mileage indicator helps me tune driving as I go for better fuel economy. 2. Seats fold FLAT for cargo loading. No rise at all. 3. Engine is flawless, quiet, and applies a very smooth power curve.

1. Radio needs scrolling display, speakers need to sound better. 2. More controls on steering wheel for base model. 3. Would like a directional compass built in somewhere. Had to buy a cheapie at Target.

RAV Raves
By Mare

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This 09 replaced our 2008 RAV. It is all it was billed to be. Love the nimbleness with the v6. With the addition of the K&N air filter we get 24.8 city and 26 on the highway.

Engine Transmission combo in the Limited.

Needs door ding guard for the protection of the paint.

Toyota Rav4 Limited Grade = A-
By Randy

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After one month, I am very pleased with my purchase of the 4cyl, as the 6cyl seemed way too much for such a light vehicle. The 4cyl is smoother when accelerating, and powerful enough when needing to pass on the highway. The leather seats are nicely cushioned in the front, but the rear seats are much more firm, making long trips surely less comfortable. I notice some road noise when traveling on the Interstate, but with the radio on I barely hear it. The ride is tremendous, as the suspension absorbs bumps well. Cargo space is awesome, including the hidden compartment for added space. Even with JBL upgrade, FM radio reception is still just okay, but XM satellite reception is much better.

Love the dual glove compartments! 4cyl acceleration is smooth and plenty powerful, suspension is great, interior comfort is excellent in front seats with plenty of leg room given that I am 6'1". Plenty of cargo space, and getting 24-27 MPG. Fun vehicle to drive, with no regrets yet in buying it!

Front cup holders need to be positioned behind the shifter, and the inserts come out too easily when pulling out water bottles. The FM radio reception is below average even with JBL upgrade. Automatic door locks would be nice when car starts to accelerate, and passenger seat needs to be powered too.

Rav4 2009
By NKK

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this Rav4 for almost 2 weeks. It's a Base V6 4wd. The first tank of gas gave me an avg mileage 24 mpg for a combination of Highway and City. Ride quality feels solid but engine noise is very evident for the first few gears and once we pick up speed >40 miles you can hardly hear a hum. I chose the Rav4 over CRV, just because it offers a v6 option and Honda doesn't. I am hoping 270 Hp coupled with 4wd should suffice to drive on hilly and snowy winters.

The most attractive feature I noticed is the hill descent control. For some reason I didn't understand how to get the hill ascent control working.

2nd row seats can be folded flat with levers provided near the rear door, but, they seem too flimsy and I am doubtful that they might break if I repeat using them few more times. I also wish Toyota considers offering Auto Up/down windows on all doors like they did on the Camry 2010.