2009 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Tough to beat
By montzterman on 07/26/09 08:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I bought this vehicle I knew that the V6 gave it a lot of power. Wow, was I surprised the first time I passed another car on the highway! The Rav4 has scary fast power! With the sport suspension the Rav4 handles great also. Don't even think about buying the under-powered competitors.

Terrific SUV Crossover
By MikeND on 07/24/09 16:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had previously owned two Corolla's and loved both of them. I needed a bigger vehicle because of two new children. I test drove a Santa Fe, a Highlander and a Rav4. It took me about 5 minutes of driving a Rav4 to fall in love. I obviously like the added size and power. However, what I find amazing with the Rav4 is I still feel like I'm driving my old Corolla. I'm also looking forward to the 4WD and added weight this winter.

Sensational SUV!!
By Ryan on 07/24/09 08:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car! I'm a research junkie and thoroughly reviewed and test drove the Honda CRV, Kia Sportage, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Escape, Subaru Forrester, and Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe. The RAV4 blew them all away. My last car was a BMW 5-series with all the bells and whistles so I was a little worried about making the adjustment to a non- luxury SUV. However, this car has continued to impress me with its easy handling, roomy interior, reliability, features, appearance, comfortable seats, and gas mileage. I have read a few of the negative reviews and I really think that we must be driving completely different makes/models. My RAV4 has been fantastic!

Geart SUV added info
By DC CALIF on 07/22/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Hi folks... I wanted to update you since my last report. We just got back from 2350 mile trip, Calif, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada. The 4 cyl climbed up 8700 ft mountains no sweat. 29.1 MPG 75-80mph. Yes I did down shift a couple of times but no prob. Oh, my brakes got better as they were mushy before. Dealer checked breaks (OK) before trip. I really enjoyed the trip and the car.

Better than expected.
By Jessica on 07/21/09 08:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Maybe because I had a Nissan XTerra prior to my RAV4, I feel like the RAV4's driving experience is very much like a car, not an SUV (which is fantastic), and there's no 'truck-like' feeling. The cornering is fairly tight for an SUV and the acceleration is phenomenal with the V6... I have no problem zipping into small spaces. I love the fuel economy, too (averaging 22.5 mpg in Central NJ). The keyless entry/ignition is so so so convenient and awesome, too.

A Pleasant Surprise
By BladeRunner on 07/20/09 13:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After driving a V8 powered 4Runner for longer than I should have, I needed to find a better MPG for my commute. The Rav4 was a pleasant surprise. I never thought I would fall in love with a small SUV. The ride is smooth yet powerful with the V6 engine. I'm averaging 23mpg which is a big step up over the 15 I was getting before. Handling is superb, although the electronic assisted steering takes some getting used to. At 6'1 space is an issue for me and I have plenty in the Rav4. I have a ton of shoulder, leg and head room and the storage bins under the cargo area are a nice feature. My road bike fits with ease with the seats folded down. I highly recommend the Rav4.

I love my 2009 Rav4 with V6
By Nelson Conroy on 07/18/09 21:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I leased a red Canadian built RAV 4 with the V6. This vehicle provides phenomenal power, styling, comfort and economy. On the highway the RAV is ultra smooth, especially between 65 and 70mph (110 to120k/hr). The interior is extremely spacious with plenty of headroom and lots of storage. I recommend the 270 horsepower V6. Amazing acceleration, however great fuel economy. I chose the flashy red exterior for a sporty look. This is the best crossover SUV in its class. I highly recommend this vehicle. Thank you.

Good First Impression
By OMc on 07/18/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought this vehicle a week ago and so far I like it. Low road noise compared to my old Civic and the seats are MUCH more comfortable - I can't feel the springs beneath the fabric like I could with the Civic even when it was new. Steering not as tight as I'd like. I like that it has the height of a truck with the feel of a car. My elderly father can get in with minimal "step-up" and can get out very easily.

Good vehicle, minor annoyances
By D. O'Dell on 07/17/09 20:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The RAV4 provides an elevated driving position, good and adaptable carrying capacity and a comfortable ride. Economy, so far, has been very good at 24 MPG in suburban driving, near 30 MPG on the highway.

Love My RAV
By Pleased on 07/16/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my RAV4 for only three weeks but I feel it is a vehicle that I will keep for many years. I love nearly every aspect of the vehicle from the power of the six cylinder engine to the ease of handling. There's plenty of storage area and ease of accessing materials. The quality of the materials appears to be excellent - I have perforated leather and heated seats. The smart key entry is wonderful since I just leave my keys in my pocket for entry and starting the vehicle. I do not find the swing door on the back to be a problem at all as it opens widely for easy access. The rear step bumper is also handy. To conclude, I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend the RAV4.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 in NJ is:

$165 per month*