Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

No recall but beware
By Ricky

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife was picking up son from school in this vehicle and car accelerated with her foot on the brake. Took car to dealer and was told it was from Japan and no problems had been reported and no recalls we in effect. They did mash brake to try and duplicate problem but refused to replace anything. My wife and daughter get carsick so I have to ride in back seats when we travel as a family. Front seats are comfortable but rear is stiff and hard to adjust. We have bought 3 new Toyotas in our lifetime but this was our last. My wife was mad and scared after her experience so we traded for a Chevy the next weekend.

Lots of engine power for a 4 cyl. We averaged 27 mpg. Lots of storage in rear compartments because of outside spare tire.

Make safety number 1. Make back seats a little higher and softer. Put real carpet in. I don't know what that stuff is but its hard to vacuum.

Dreary, dreary dreary
By Honest Abe

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned for 6 mo; traded in and GLAD! Stripped appearance inside and out. No rubber cladding to protect lower part of car. Almost all other SUVs have this. Lousy sound system, mpg worse than stated; quirky transmission: car rolled backwards when in drive but going slow. Had to step on both break and gas to keep from going downhill. Service department in constant hissy fit and very unhelpful. Given recalls and safety issues, do not buy this car at any price.

Seats fold flat; rear door instead of hatch; roomy for hauling

Better sound system; fix transmission quirk; resolve acceleration issue. As far as little metal "shim" in gas pedal, no one knows how this will wear over time even if it fixes problem. Think logically: Why spend ANY money on a brand new car with so many issues? Why not just buy some other car?

A set of tires makes a big differance!
By James G. in Michigan

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for 7 months now. Its is winter in Michigan, and the Bridgestone tires that came with it are so-so in the snow. I purchased a set of Michelan All Terrain Tires. What a huge difference. It feels like I drive in 4x4 mode all the time. No matter how much snow we get, I just drive like there is none. I always use Michelin tires on my 4x4's. Plus no recall problems so far. My wife is the primary driver and I know she is safe driving this on the road.

Heated seats, JBL stereo, Bluetooth, V- 6 is super fast, Good gas mileage.

None at this time.

Recall Jitters
By Ellen

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a magnificent car inside and out. Rides like a dream. Much better than CRV. Interior is laid out much better than any other small SUV. Joy of ownership blunted by Toyota woes. What a shame.

Interior space, quiet, efficient engine, amazing MPG

Remove all visible "Toyota" logos

Spongy brakes
By Joe Dallas

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving it for 5 months now. It is reliable so far. The I4 has enough power to get into hwy and passes. The folding backseat flat the trunk and accept large stuff. It average local 23 and highway 26 MPG. One thing that alerts me is it has spongy brake and can be very low when press it (about 1" from the floor). It takes too long to actually feel brake taking effect. A large foot may actually touch the gas padel unintentionally. It brakes fine though. Checked with the dealer service and was told "this is by design and it is normal." Thinking about the gas padel recall and then adding this spongy brake, the feeling is not very comforting. Generally it is a good car.

Overall usability

The back seat head rest is not comfortable. The sheetmetal is so thin that you push a dent by your thumb.