2009 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
4 months in my RAV4
By ewg on 08/17/09 06:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very nice car improvement over my 2003 Subaru Forester. Others have noted the stiffness of the seats but my wife & I like that and have noticed that seats are starting to feel 'softer' with more use. The interior is designed well but the materials are budget. I'm getting between 25 & 26 MPG in overall use; some stop & go plus some highway. Very happy with my RAV4.

NOT a 4Runner
By MARIA on 08/14/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove an '06 Sr5 4Runner prior to the Rav4....and how I miss it. The Rav4 is cute...not really meant to be an off-road vehicle. The v6 is quick but the engine does whine slightly. I expect my MPG will increase as I only have 800 miles on the SUV (21 combined currently). Styling does need an upgrading and is expected in 2012. Some interior features need more strategic placement.

Great Car
By toughshift on 08/14/09 07:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put on almost 10,000 miles. ACTUAL mileage for every drop of gasoline in town and on highway is 21.9 MPG. Have the V6 4WD Limited with all the bells and whistles. This car is a rocket with lots of power and great handling. Silver Classic color is gorgeous.

The Practical One
By Bob in Ohio on 08/13/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

One of the more practical vehicles on the road the 2009 Rav4 offers efficient packaging, two competent engines and enough safety and convenience to satisfy just about everyone. If you had to choose only one vehicle to transport a family, haul furniture and find its way through inclement weather this compact to mid-size SUV is tough to beat. There is some comfort loss in exchange for space, especially in the rear seat. The cushions are rather flat and don't provide much support so make sure those that will inhabit the space take a test ride. Road and wind noise isn't in the luxury class but it is livable especially when you consider the relatively light weight of the vehicle vs. the size.

I love my Rav
By Deborah on 08/13/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

If you didn't know this was a four cylinder vehicle, you wouldn't know by its performance. It has far more useful extras, even in the base model I have, than any of the competitors. It also has more storage, hidden, accessible and functional storage - all three. The tailgate is easy to open and the drive is smooth for an SUV except at extremely low speeds (under 20 mph) and even then not bad. I love this car and am glad I chose it. Fuel economy seems to be greater so far than specified on the government websites. Seats are extremely easy to fold up and they fold up flat and low - better than any other model I looked at, and I looked at a lot of them. This is important as I have dogs.

I love my RAV4
By Dan on 08/13/09 07:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Once I decide to trade in my car I wanted something with more cargo than my Nissan Altima. My first choice was the new Mazda 3 5 doors. While doing my research I came across the Toyota Rav4. It rates the same MPG but has more cargo space, about the same price and looks way better. Reading reviews and comparing all the competitors I chose the 2009 Toyota RAV4. It has the power (4 cyl), it has the looks (no cheap black plastic going around the bumper) and the Toyota Reputation. It rides nice, quiet and firm. Driving in the city so far I got 26.2 mpg and still going up. I can't wait to see how much I get at our road trip to the north.

Owner for 2 weeks
By Kristen on 08/12/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our new Rav4 two weeks ago. I love it. One thing I did notice was that when I was driving on the highway and opened just the two back windows and not the front, the interior of the auto sounded like a freight train. It was very loud and the pressure actually hurt my ear drums.

Almost perfect
By Laurie on 08/08/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After months of research & test drives, the RAV4 won out for several reasons. It really is fun to drive, well laid out, has super comfy seats and my tall husband can fit without knocking his head off. The only negative is the front seat headrests. They are extremely uncomfortable for someone with neck problems. However, I popped mine out, turned it around and the problem was solved. Hopefully there will be an aftermarket option.

Fits its purpose well
By iisrael1 on 08/06/09 13:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It's exhilarating driving this car as the acceleration is great for a 4 cylinder engine. It gets great gas mileage on the highway-about 35 mpg averaging about 25-26mpg with mixed driving. The car is a little noisy on the highway but with music on its not noticeable. The interior could be better but for a base model its pretty good when compared to the forester or the CRV. Also not to mention the brawlik exterior look if gotten in black.

I love it!
By Paul in FL on 08/04/09 20:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle under the Clunkers Program while "donating" my Ford F-150 to the government for destruction. The mpg is great with new four cylinder engine. EPA figures are either on the money or slightly low. Plenty of pep too. Very quiet even at highway speeds. Great looking interior. The V6 would have been nice, but absolutely not necessary unless you're carrying six or towing a boat. Same goes for AWD here in Florida, but in snow country I would have added AWD. This could be a more ideal car for seniors as it is easy to drive and easy to get in and out of. The swing out trunk lid is easier for seniors than the hatch. Same for getting things out of the back. No stooping.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 in VA is:

$96 per month*