Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Recall Jitters
By Ellen

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a magnificent car inside and out. Rides like a dream. Much better than CRV. Interior is laid out much better than any other small SUV. Joy of ownership blunted by Toyota woes. What a shame.

Interior space, quiet, efficient engine, amazing MPG

Remove all visible "Toyota" logos

Spongy brakes
By Joe Dallas

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving it for 5 months now. It is reliable so far. The I4 has enough power to get into hwy and passes. The folding backseat flat the trunk and accept large stuff. It average local 23 and highway 26 MPG. One thing that alerts me is it has spongy brake and can be very low when press it (about 1" from the floor). It takes too long to actually feel brake taking effect. A large foot may actually touch the gas padel unintentionally. It brakes fine though. Checked with the dealer service and was told "this is by design and it is normal." Thinking about the gas padel recall and then adding this spongy brake, the feeling is not very comforting. Generally it is a good car.

Overall usability

The back seat head rest is not comfortable. The sheetmetal is so thin that you push a dent by your thumb.

Toyota Rav 4 Limited Updated Review--B+
By Randy

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Given my model is now part of the massive recall related to the sticky accelerator problem, up to this point I've had no issue with a sticky accelerator. But, it certainly is on my mind now everytime I drive, which is unfortunate. Anyway, the only areas that have decreased in my liking are related to the gas mileage and exterior finish since my last review. In Oct., I was getting 24-27 mpg, now with nearly 5,000 miles, I am now getting 20-23 mpg with no major changes in my driving pattern. Very disappointing. Also, I notice the seals on the door/window jams leak cold air allowing me to feel a noticeable chill, and the road noise has become much more noticeable.

Steering and handling are still great, and the suspension still absorbs bumps while driving, and has handled great in the snow using 4-wheel drive. Cargo room continues to be spacious. The XM satellite sound still prevails over the weak FM reception, and Bluetooth and Push-Start have been awesome.

Cup holders continue to be a nuisance, and although I don't find a problem with ride comfort, my wife complains of it being uncomfortable from the passenger seat, especially on longer rides. I'm also going to get a deflector to minimize how easily the paint chips, but the salesman warned me of this.

Not wat i expected- But overall OK
By intelinside

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this used 2009 Rav4 in Nov- 2009. there are many small issues that we can not see when test driving, listed are a few: 1)THE CUPOLDER "like a smile can tell a lot about a person" same way a well designed cup holder can tell you a lot. The cup holders have a rubber mats without which nothing will fit in them cos of the oval edges, Try drinking coffee from the cup holder and the rubber mats gets snuggly tied to the flask. can't fit any thing having a handle. 2) on a snowy slushy day, lot of snow and slush got on to the tire fender covers and due to high winds weighed it and broke the PLASTIC rivets and the cover rubbed with tire and destroyed the front cover, cost 500$ not covered.

Daytime running lights, AWD is responsive and handles well. Audio speakers are good.

Interior is cheap and plasticky, should learn from Hyundai. seats are hard, not lumbar support, no heated mirrors in the base model, can get rid of the AM/FM radio antenna in front of it.

Noisey Cabin
By chuck

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is very noisy on the road. It's not wind noise, but road noise....must be poor insulation. It is very troublesome. Overall mileage for 13,000 miles is 21.4 MPG. the V6 is a rocket. Clock and radio are hard to read in sunlight....whatever happened to LED's instead of LCD's?

Roomy with seats folded down. Good for holding bicycles and gear. Bluetooth phone works great. Backup TV works great.

More insulation to make it quieter on the road. Use LED's for radio and clock. Did I mention the road noise?