Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

A very functional SUV!
By rdiddy801

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my RAV-4 for about four months now, and I'm quite happy with it. The ride is smooth and the suspension seems solid. I took it off road recently and it handled the terrain okay. I'm getting 25 MPG with a fairly even mix of city/highway driving. The interior is very functional--the back seats slide forward and back, and they split so you have more cargo options. I like the MP3 jack in the center armrest, and there's a little niche there that's perfect for an iPhone. My only complaints: the back window doesn't open (which would allow you to carry long lumber that could hang out the back, for example), and the rear hatch opens towards the curb.

MP3 jack in the arm rest, functional and easy-to-use center console, splitting and sliding rear seats, reliability, hidden cargo bins under the rear cargo cover, and decent MPG for a 4WD SUV.

Open the rear hatch so you can access it from the curb and make the back hatch window operable. Sometimes it would be nice if the gas tank were bigger, but I looked up the CR-V and the RAV's is bigger than it.

Perfect for a small family
By sh4n

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

- This is an amazing car for a family with young children.
- Also a comfortable drive for someone over 6ft (I am 6'2").
- Great on gas, the v4 is peppy, but lacks power when a/c is being used
- Interior perfect for kids as it was easy to clean up spills and other messes
- Cargo room was very more than ample. Always came in handy for carrying small furniture, large mirrors, tvs etc.
- Not a single problem over 4 years of use

- The height of this vehicle is perfect for getting in and out for tall drivers and not too tall for average people. - Very good on gas. I drive faster than the flow of traffic and I averaged 10.8L/100km combined.

Love this SUV
By pingel

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 2009 base model about a month ago and love this vehicle.
I traded in my 2006 Kia Sorento EX 4WD vehile that had only 71k on it but was a gas hog and very bad in the snow & slick roads. So far I am averaging 24-25MPG and love the ride.
It looks good and feels good.
We are going to take a 5 hour trip in a few weeks so we'll see how comfy it is on long trip.
It is a little slow on the take off but if that is it's only draw back it's fine.

I love the way the back seats can be folded down with the pull of the handles from the far back end. Love the AUX availablilty so I can listen to all myold favorites.

The cup holders have a lot to be desired. too far to reach for them and no rubber to hold cups in tightly. Also need to move the hazard button closer. Heated outside mirrors on all models.

Love the RAV4
By primal_v

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 RAV4 4 2.5 litre 4 cylinder, base model, for my wife. Let me tell you this...if I were to get in it blind-folded, not knowing which vehicle I was in, I would have never guessed that it was a RAV4. The ride comfort is amazing! The independent suspension decreases body roll over uneven pavement. Road noise for a vehicle of this size is more than acceptable. Braking is smooth & quiet. It absorbs bumps in the road like they were nothing. Wind noise is average but better than most. Acceleration is excellent. I barely have to apply pressure to the throttle to get it to move. Without even having to stomp down on the pedal & the 4 cylinder turns into a monster & easily pulls away

Engine is quite. 4 cylinder engine has good acceleration. Quite ride. Excellent handling. Smooth transmission. Comfortable seats. Rear seats recline & slide forward & backward. Light output is good. Low road noise. Handles well for an SUV.

I really don't have many complaints with this vehicle. I kind of wish that it had factory tinted windows & fog lamps but that's ok. Clear glass makes visibility better. Also the light for the rear door is actually on the door...so as you open it wide, it doesn't really illuminate the rear cargo area that well.

Not worth the price/poor value/poor workmanship
By stew16

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

questionable gas mileage at best, 4cyl is noisy, paint is the worst I have ever had on a vehicle, chipps to easily, toyota should put a full case of touch-paint in every vehicle. Has a tendency to accelerate, and the start stop button does not work as it is designed to do, alot of times the vehicle will not start when button is pressed. Toyota techs are even sure how to fix this problem nor can they explain how this is occuring with more frequency.

none

Get away from the start stop button, and go back to the key, needs more noise compression on the 4cyl engines, also paint chipping is excessive and is really a problem for alot of toyota products, quality controll is no longer evident due to the many numerous recalls announced with more frequency.