2009 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Sort Reviews by

Rav Sport; the GTO of SUV's
By Don

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We checked them all out; CRV's, Rogues, Outlanders and Tiguan, etc. All had their points. We chose the Rav because of the build quality, the great lease deal, and the hot 265 hp V- 6 that gets mpg almost as good as the 4. It's really quick, with great handling; lots of fun to drive. The Rav sport w/ the V-6 is the only Rav without a tailgate mounted spare. You get "run flat" tires instead. We'll see how that works out. The Rav is a total package choice; I don't think it wins, hands down, in any one category but is a solid choice across the board, including great resale (if you purchase). We were looking to get a little pizzaz in an otherwise functional vehicle; the RAV4 Sport 6 delivers.

Favorite Features

build quality, fit and finish, the V-6 performance; reliability and resale

Suggested Improvements

The dash design; center stack in dash is functional but not very classy. Toyota's insistence on white light speedo and tach dials and amber backlit LCD gauges for everything else seems mismatched; a vertical lift tailgate and a way to eliminate the rear mounted tire w/o resorting to run flat tire.

Real World Gas Mileage
By chuck

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Here's some "real world" mileage figures: Brand new 2009 V6 Limited 4X4....took it on a trip to New Mexico and Arizona starting in Minnesota. 4,498 miles....22.6 miles per gallon. 70-80 miles per hour on freeways plus city driving, lots of baggage. There ya go.

Favorite Features

Handling and performance. This vehicle is first class in almost every way (except for the improvements I suggest).

Suggested Improvements

Make the digital readouts in LED instead of LCD. It is impossible to see the clock because it's too small. I bought a $4.95 stick on clock from Target which is better than the one in the car. Gas Mileage on V6 is too low.

All wheel drive taxi
By john richards

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was purchased for my wife and she positively loves it. She's owned two Chevy blazers and this one wins hands down. Handling, fun good looking vehicle. The only thing I can think of that she does mention is she wishes the back window would open for better convenience. A little louder but you give up a little quiteness for an suv. (road noise)

Favorite Features

The way it handles and accelerates. We owned two Camry's previous and the 4 cyl had know get up and go. This goes good better than the Camry and this has the 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to insulate from the road noise.

Couldn't Be More Pleased
By Keith

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I replaced my 12-year old Geo Prizm LSi with this car and I couldn't be more pleased. The 2.5L 4-cyl offers plenty of power and mileage is decent (only filled up a few times and getting around 24-26 mpg combined. I anticipate getting better because weather is so cold right now. This car is quiet, smooth handling, and great for me to drive as a car to work and run errands in, plus fine to carry the wife and 3 small kids in as well. I would definitely buy one in the future if Toyota continues to make these!

Favorite Features

Backup camera is nice to judge distance from my bumper to the car behind me in parallel parking. Also love the bluetooth phone hookup. It is great to use and helps in safety when I need to use the phone while driving. It took me a while to get used to the smart key system, but I really like it!

Suggested Improvements

Homelink system and onboard compass. Otherwise it offers all the features I could imagine needing at this time.

Love my car!
By MinneGirl

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought a 2009 Rav4 because my Nissan Sentra didn't handle well in the snow. I am in love with this vehicle. It is a fully loaded, Limited edition with a powerful V-6 engine and a navigation system. This car is fun to drive! When I want to get around annoying drivers on the highway, I just tap the pedal and I shoot forward. I also have the smart key entry system, which sketched me out at first, but I find that I like not having to take my keys out to get into my car or to start it.

Favorite Features

The navigation system, the powerful drive, the handling in snow, heated leather seats and the smart key entry system.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system is okay - I think it could sound a little better. Other than that, no complaints. I am really happy with my purchase.

'My Little Rocket' - Great Buy!!!
By Bebbszook

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Why 'My Little Rocket'? My Rav4 accelerates, handles, & performs very smoothly. After over 20 years of driving the entire range of only Ford SUVs, I made the decision to go Toyota, which I believe was a wise one. I just wish I did it years ago. Going from an '05 Escape 6 cyl AWD to the '09 Rav4 4 cyl AWD, I expected sluggishness, but instead found it peppier with all-around better handling & performance in & on the VT snow & variable roads conditions. Having to drive over 2.5 hours, several times per week to VT, I find the drivers side lumbar support & heated seats a godsend. Gas mileage falls within the stated 21 to 27 mpg, with 24 mpg as my average. It should improve over time.

Favorite Features

Perfect height tailgate seating for changing in/out of ski boots. Truly heated lumbar supported drivers seat & heated side view mirrors. Easily reachable roof rack. Great turn radius, sound system, Bluetooth, double glove box, rear seat release latches, and actually everything.

Suggested Improvements

Needs quieter heating/AC blower. Tailgate door that opens upward vs sideways to provide shelter from snow & rain & making loading easier in parking lots. Option to open or retract the tailgate window. Better placement of side-view mirror and heated-seat adjustment controllers.

A Thrilling Ride
By Kathy

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Rav4 6 cyl. is a solid little car that is really fun to drive. The car is comfortable with plenty of interior room and gives a sense of security to be able to pass with power to spare.

Favorite Features

The smart key really saves a lot of hassle in that you never have to search for the key in your handbag. You just have to have it in there somewhere to be able to open and start the car. The Bluetooth is also very handy.

Suggested Improvements

Ideally a garage door opener would be a nice addition. I also miss having information on fuel range.

Not enough comfort
By Danny D

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my rav 4 2009 base 4x4 because of the toyota quality so far it has quality but it is stiff and my honda civic is more comfortable than the brand new rav 4. I drove it in the snow and it was okay. I am happy with the vehicle but it doesn't drive as I expected.

Favorite Features

Plenty of space.

Suggested Improvements

suspension is not good enough.

Fun car.
By lr_smith

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My first SUV and it feels great, drives like a small sports car. We had a small Toyota Yaris, and it was totaled in an accident, so we needed something bigger even though I loved the Yaris. We only had this car for a couple of weeks but we absolutely love it. It is very ergonomic, all controls are easy to reach, everything is very intuitive.

Favorite Features

Slick interior, handles in the back that you can pull to lower back seats without having to open the side door, storage spaces, how "tight" it feels on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing so far :)

Short Term Ownership
By AF

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our RAV 4 in Nov 08, absolutely loved it. Put on some top-end 18" studded tires, and the handling and traction was great. We moved from a 95 Ford Windstar to this, so anything would have been better, but it really does handle and drive very well. 31 days later we were in accident. I was in the passenger side and took the brunt of the impact. It took a minute or so to figure out what happened. Air bags deployed, doors crumpled, but we were all completely fine. Safety and crash ratings are very high from me, as the impact felt like nothing more than a little nudge (impact speed about 25mph). Its been written off, but will definitely look at another RAV as a replacement.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling and traction, and the ability to take a pretty good hit without any negative effects on the passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Could use rear window roll down or side window vents at the back, so the dog can get some air.