Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Trans axle noise 35 mph to 55 mph
By eugene riotte

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle did not make transaxle noise when purchased! After 1500 miles it started a howling noise at light throttle, 35-55 mph it is getting worse, Toyota Tech is supposed to be checking on the reason for it, it has been 21 days and I have heard nothing, I am very dissatisfied with this car! I was told there was a production change, I think I got one of the bad ones. The service dept. replaced an axle at about 5 thousand miles and the axle bearing, but this did not correct the noise I am hearing.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage nothing to brag about, Vehicle will not get the 27 mpg on the highway that they advertise.

4 months in my RAV4
By ewg

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very nice car improvement over my 2003 Subaru Forester. Others have noted the stiffness of the seats but my wife & I like that and have noticed that seats are starting to feel 'softer' with more use. The interior is designed well but the materials are budget. I'm getting between 25 & 26 MPG in overall use; some stop & go plus some highway. Very happy with my RAV4.

Favorite Features

Power of the V6 still with acceptable gas mileage. The build feels strong & safe. The RAV4 is very quiet on the road. I guess most cars have it now but the AUX input for MP3 players is good and easily accessible. 17" alloy wheels are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality could be upgraded. Air vents seem a little too high. Standard Radio is too basic even for standard equipment. I wish I'd gone for the upgrade.

NOT a 4Runner
By MARIA

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove an '06 Sr5 4Runner prior to the Rav4....and how I miss it. The Rav4 is cute...not really meant to be an off-road vehicle. The v6 is quick but the engine does whine slightly. I expect my MPG will increase as I only have 800 miles on the SUV (21 combined currently). Styling does need an upgrading and is expected in 2012. Some interior features need more strategic placement.

Favorite Features

Smart key, satellite radio, bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders hard to access cups, backup mirror is WORTHLESS. Get rid of spare tire on door, and make it a bottom open. Automatic door locks activate when car in drive or speed above 5 mph.

Great Car
By toughshift

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put on almost 10,000 miles. ACTUAL mileage for every drop of gasoline in town and on highway is 21.9 MPG. Have the V6 4WD Limited with all the bells and whistles. This car is a rocket with lots of power and great handling. Silver Classic color is gorgeous.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior is great. This car's handling is great.

Suggested Improvements

Instead of the LCD displays for the radio and clock, how about going back to LED's so they would be easier to read? The LCD clock is useless during the day. It's too small and is hard to read. Also, the radio display is hard to read during the day. Dump the LCD's, go back to LED's....

The Practical One
By Bob in Ohio

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

One of the more practical vehicles on the road the 2009 Rav4 offers efficient packaging, two competent engines and enough safety and convenience to satisfy just about everyone. If you had to choose only one vehicle to transport a family, haul furniture and find its way through inclement weather this compact to mid-size SUV is tough to beat. There is some comfort loss in exchange for space, especially in the rear seat. The cushions are rather flat and don't provide much support so make sure those that will inhabit the space take a test ride. Road and wind noise isn't in the luxury class but it is livable especially when you consider the relatively light weight of the vehicle vs. the size.

Favorite Features

I personally like the style of the vehicle, the 4 cyl. engine provides adequate thrust, the hidden space where the spare tire normally resides is a bonus and I would recommend the rear backup camera integrated into the rearview mirror. Locking 4 wheel drive will be handy in Ohio winters.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats could use more lateral support and the silver trim needs to be toned down as it is too reflective. A wood grain option would be nice. Rear seats need some lateral support and a better antenna system would help the radio draw and hold distant radio stations more effectively.