2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Buyer Beware of Poor Paint
By stew16 on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Not as fuel efficient as one would expect for a 4 cylinder, a lot of wind noise, not as good as Toyota claims, the paint chips easily and it's not as thick as it should be, would not recommend this vehicle, keep looking, poor sound system. Woofer is already making noise, at nine months.

Excellent value for money and dependable
By Venkatesh Sridharan on 08/28/10 20:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After a quite a bit of research and test driving five vehicles in this class, I choose to buy the fully loaded four cylinder RAV4 Ltd. After driving almost two years and 28,000 miles, I am glad that I bought this vehicle. RAV4 is smooth driving, very responsive, fuel efficient (28 mpg) and almost comfortable. Four cylinder engine is sufficient for highway driving and it feels powerful enough to pass other vehicles. I miss V6 only in cities at stop signal. I4 is bit sluggish in initial pickup. Exterior design is stylish and trendy. But, interior feels cheap. There is no hand-rest and seats are not comfortable for long distance drive. Road noise is annoying while driving on bridges.

I love it!
By Paul in FL on 08/04/09 20:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle under the Clunkers Program while "donating" my Ford F-150 to the government for destruction. The mpg is great with new four cylinder engine. EPA figures are either on the money or slightly low. Plenty of pep too. Very quiet even at highway speeds. Great looking interior. The V6 would have been nice, but absolutely not necessary unless you're carrying six or towing a boat. Same goes for AWD here in Florida, but in snow country I would have added AWD. This could be a more ideal car for seniors as it is easy to drive and easy to get in and out of. The swing out trunk lid is easier for seniors than the hatch. Same for getting things out of the back. No stooping.

Disappointed
By Dissapointed on 07/04/09 23:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Leased this car for my kid. The transmission shifts and sounds like a cement mixer. The interior is wall-to- wall plastic with no soft areas. The push button glove box is kind of quirky and small. The center console that houses the radio looks and feels like something from a K-Mart appliance center. The fuel filler door is riveted on and has the feeling it is going to be pulled off if too much pressure is exerted. Car is relatively slow. I should have leased the Jeep Patriot or Ford Escape. RAV4 is acceptable, but certainly not anything that is above the others including the domestics. This is the last Toyota I will purchase.

Nice
By John on 05/19/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have to say that I am very pleased with this vehicle. I am 6ft 2in and fit comfortably with plenty of leg and head room. The vehicle offers a quiet, smooth ride with minimal engine noise. I have read the digs that it is noisy, the engine is weak etc. Baloney. The RAV4 performs admirably when compared to most any vehicle in its class. And I have compared about 6 of its competitors. My combined mileage with less than 1000 miles, 2/3 highway and 1/3 city is 28.2. No kidding. I am pretty conservative-but this purchase was all about comfort, style, reliability, and mileage. I have them all.

Couldn't Be More Pleased
By Keith on 02/23/09 20:59 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I replaced my 12-year old Geo Prizm LSi with this car and I couldn't be more pleased. The 2.5L 4-cyl offers plenty of power and mileage is decent (only filled up a few times and getting around 24-26 mpg combined. I anticipate getting better because weather is so cold right now. This car is quiet, smooth handling, and great for me to drive as a car to work and run errands in, plus fine to carry the wife and 3 small kids in as well. I would definitely buy one in the future if Toyota continues to make these!

'My Little Rocket' - Great Buy!!!
By Bebbszook on 02/18/09 21:29 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Why 'My Little Rocket'? My Rav4 accelerates, handles, & performs very smoothly. After over 20 years of driving the entire range of only Ford SUVs, I made the decision to go Toyota, which I believe was a wise one. I just wish I did it years ago. Going from an '05 Escape 6 cyl AWD to the '09 Rav4 4 cyl AWD, I expected sluggishness, but instead found it peppier with all-around better handling & performance in & on the VT snow & variable roads conditions. Having to drive over 2.5 hours, several times per week to VT, I find the drivers side lumbar support & heated seats a godsend. Gas mileage falls within the stated 21 to 27 mpg, with 24 mpg as my average. It should improve over time.

2 WD Limited 4 CYL
By David on 11/16/08 10:03 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been getting 28 MPG with mixed city and highway driving. The power is fine even with the 4 cyl engine. My last vehicle was a 2005 4Runner and the interior head room even with the moon roof is much better than the 4Runner. The Bluetooth hands free stereo is a must. The backup camera is a waste (too small). A back up beeping sensor is much more useful. The only quality issue I have found is a clunking sound shifting from reverse when the engine is cold. This appears to be a common problem with the Rav4. The interior room with the seats flat also rivals the 4Runner. The only thing the 4Runner does better is off road. By the way a 6 cyl 4Runner with 4 wheel drive averaged 20 MPG.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 Suv in NJ is:

$212 per month*