Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Buyer Beware of Poor Paint
By stew16

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Not as fuel efficient as one would expect for a 4 cylinder, a lot of wind noise, not as good as Toyota claims, the paint chips easily and it's not as thick as it should be, would not recommend this vehicle, keep looking, poor sound system. Woofer is already making noise, at nine months.

Satellite radio, fog lights

Offer an extended warranty on all Rav- 4 paint due to the paint chipping so easily on its new vehicles, buy a lot of touch-up pens and give more than one to each new Rav-4 owner. Include touch up pens with every purchase.

Excellent value for money and dependable
By Venkatesh Sridharan

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After a quite a bit of research and test driving five vehicles in this class, I choose to buy the fully loaded four cylinder RAV4 Ltd. After driving almost two years and 28,000 miles, I am glad that I bought this vehicle. RAV4 is smooth driving, very responsive, fuel efficient (28 mpg) and almost comfortable. Four cylinder engine is sufficient for highway driving and it feels powerful enough to pass other vehicles. I miss V6 only in cities at stop signal. I4 is bit sluggish in initial pickup. Exterior design is stylish and trendy. But, interior feels cheap. There is no hand-rest and seats are not comfortable for long distance drive. Road noise is annoying while driving on bridges.

I am impressed with the handling and stability of this vehicle. It quickly responses to every micro-movements of steering and pedals. Smooth ride, huge cargo space, spacious interior, great gas mileage, blue-tooth and voice commands and trendy looks make this vehicle my favorite.

Speed sensitive automatic door-lock, high quality interior material and more space for back seat passengers.

I love it!
By Paul in FL

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle under the Clunkers Program while "donating" my Ford F-150 to the government for destruction. The mpg is great with new four cylinder engine. EPA figures are either on the money or slightly low. Plenty of pep too. Very quiet even at highway speeds. Great looking interior. The V6 would have been nice, but absolutely not necessary unless you're carrying six or towing a boat. Same goes for AWD here in Florida, but in snow country I would have added AWD. This could be a more ideal car for seniors as it is easy to drive and easy to get in and out of. The swing out trunk lid is easier for seniors than the hatch. Same for getting things out of the back. No stooping.

High mpg. Quietness. Build quality (it's a Toyota. What do you expect?). Great seat comfort when compared to a Honda CRV. Sure footed on road. Durability of a Toyota.

Only one. Add automatic door locks that actuate when the car is placed in drive and starts moving. Just about every car has that, but not the Rav4. In this age of car jackings and such this is a much needed feature that should be always included.

Disappointed
By Dissapointed

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Leased this car for my kid. The transmission shifts and sounds like a cement mixer. The interior is wall-to- wall plastic with no soft areas. The push button glove box is kind of quirky and small. The center console that houses the radio looks and feels like something from a K-Mart appliance center. The fuel filler door is riveted on and has the feeling it is going to be pulled off if too much pressure is exerted. Car is relatively slow. I should have leased the Jeep Patriot or Ford Escape. RAV4 is acceptable, but certainly not anything that is above the others including the domestics. This is the last Toyota I will purchase.

Nice
By John

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have to say that I am very pleased with this vehicle. I am 6ft 2in and fit comfortably with plenty of leg and head room. The vehicle offers a quiet, smooth ride with minimal engine noise. I have read the digs that it is noisy, the engine is weak etc. Baloney. The RAV4 performs admirably when compared to most any vehicle in its class. And I have compared about 6 of its competitors. My combined mileage with less than 1000 miles, 2/3 highway and 1/3 city is 28.2. No kidding. I am pretty conservative-but this purchase was all about comfort, style, reliability, and mileage. I have them all.

Comfortable seats, easy in and out. Mileage.

Climate controls a bit quirky to learn.